PDA

View Full Version : Can I build a cat like the 29 Mystic for $400.00 to $500.00

Indiana Spartan
09-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I have a Spartan with the new castle set up. It is ok but I now want a cat. Keeping the Spartan for my son...I would like to build but I dont know, if I use a hull like a fighter cat or Genesis, if I could do it for under $500. Then after the build would it be that much better than a Proboat Mystic 29??? any thoughts..... Trying to stay around $500.00 I have built a few rc buggies back in the day.

Jesse J
09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
First welcome to the board. Try searching the site - a lot of good stuff on here.

The short answer: yes. Why not just get the mystic? What hull would you want to use and why don't you want to just get the mystic? I think it would be a great rtr! It was designed to race yet handle well; it looks like a lot of fun . The longer skinnier hulls don't do near so well in the corners, but as always, it depends on your preferences.

stadiumyamaha
09-18-2011, 01:58 AM
the mystic is great and so is the geico and can be upgraded with a higher kv motor and esc to run in the high forties or low fifties. Close to budget too.

stadiumyamaha
09-18-2011, 02:01 AM
by the time you get a genesis shipped to you it will be close to $300 and you will still need a good motor, esc and rx/tx
I've got one and its a lot of fun but they need work once you get one. Imo.

Eodman
09-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Yes you can! 1st Call Remy at aeromarine laminates and ask him for one of the meam machine specials ... if he has any left. Great hull for 60 bucks! Then look on this site for all the Mean Machine builds, primarily threads By Fluid & Rex they posted complete build instructions both sport & speed(race versions)!

On 4s these things flat out fly and handle well!

Skullcracken
09-18-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd go 32 inch fightercat. You'd spend $125 on the hull, you can a la carte drive hardware for around $100, probably find two motors of OSE for $100 or so, and two esc's for $120-140ish. You could build a boat that would totally outperform a proboat mystic or miss geico. I'm into scale boats, I dont like the proboat cats. The length/width ratio is awful in my opinion - (only referring to appearance not performance).

Flying Scotsman
09-19-2011, 02:58 AM
I have a Spartan with the new castle set up. It is ok but I now want a cat. Keeping the Spartan for my son...I would like to build but I dont know, if I use a hull like a fighter cat or Genesis, if I could do it for under $500. Then after the build would it be that much better than a Proboat Mystic 29??? any thoughts..... Trying to stay around $500.00 I have built a few rc buggies back in the day.

Yes you can, dependant on your aspirations. I would suggest $700 and up for a great boat.

Douggie

Indiana Spartan
09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the great advice...... I will have to pull the trigger soon....