PDA

View Full Version : what esc?

Griff
09-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I have come back to boating after a long layoff, so am still picking up info as I go, my Esc in the stiletto is horrible, it's a very on off type of esc instead of a nice throttle curve it seems to have more like throttle steps lol , so my question is what esc do I go for? something with a nice linear throttle curve that can handle being abused a bit would be good.

Thanks
Tom

jamespl
09-17-2011, 06:03 PM
I ran mine with the turnigy 120a marine esc today for the first time and it was much better. I could actually run the boat at slow speed before going to full throttle without it trying to jump out thd water. I was running ec5 connectors on the stock esc and also on the 120a and they seemed cooler. Hope this helps.
Just to note though if you change to the T120 you will need to drill new holes for the water lines.

Griff
09-18-2011, 10:03 AM
cheers for the info will see if I can find one in the UK

Tom

jamespl
09-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm in the UK. Stourbridge. I got mine from hobbyking, prob the cheapest. Only downside is about 3 weeks shipping unless you pay extra for the ems but then it doesnt make it so cheap. I ordered 2 and sold 1. Worked out about £65 delivered for the 2. You could try Aztec models.

Griff
09-19-2011, 06:20 AM
thanks for the info,
Tom

Driggs
09-19-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm running a swordfish 120 and it working good, it has diffrent startup settings, you just have waterproof it,

Racer944
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Driggs;

How did you waterproof yours? Also did you have to open up the hole where the wires go through to the engine? If so how did you end up sealing that area?

Cheers;
Eric

colormegone
09-20-2011, 08:28 AM
I agree with you on the esc in these things is crap...............
I have had nothin but trouble with mine since I bought this boat last yr. Acts like it is getting hot and shuts off after a lap or two. I can not depend on it to make 6 full laps and IMPBA says you must use this esc or the Augacraft one but I'm not going to spend any more $ on this boat. It also likes only full throttle or nothing and can hop out of the water at any givin time with this esc.. It's hard to tune your boat when you can't make it around the track.............Junk in book. They want $114 for a new one...LOL.. Good luck to you.

Griff
10-10-2011, 12:58 PM
went with the Turnigy 120 much more linear on the throttle curve, and can start off really smoothly now, no more leaping out of the lake.

martym10
10-19-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm running 5s setup. I tried Castle Creations Hydra 120 and also Swordfish 120. CC hydra is better in way of performance/high speed/throttle curve. Between these two is not so huge difference like between std. ESC and Swordfish. But I flip my boat and and after a while I flooded my Castle ESC. So I bought Swordfish which is now waterproofed from factory and without fear of flip I can drive flat out but the performance is not so good. So I'll buy again CC hydra and make it waterproof.