PDA

View Full Version : Props not spinning in sync???

Drax21
09-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I need to fix this. I have 2 counter spun flex cables on my cat. The left side seems tough to turn I believe this is correct, the right side spins very easy with hardly any effort. I am looking at the collets at the moment, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Jesse J
09-17-2011, 09:51 AM
What motors? What stuffing tube geometry (post a pic)? Are both liners undamaged? How do they turn when not attached to the couplers? Do both motors turn the same when not attached to flex lines?

Just a few things to check...

Drax21
09-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Motors are Feigaos 7XL. Will post a pic soon, I believe the left side liner has been damaged as the flex cable gets a bit stuck near the top end of the shaft. They turn both the same when not attached to the couplers. The motors look like the turn the same also. There was a fair bit of gunk at the top end of the shaft on the left side which I have cleared out. I will give them another spin later on and will take some pics. Thanks

dasboata
09-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Well I think you answered your own question, I stock K& S brass,, not sure what size you need ,but check here 1st if Steve has got it if not email me @dasboata@aol.com thanks chris

Drax21
09-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Here are some pics, I bought this boat 2nd hand but never run. The guy had done a bodge job when putting the pieces together. If you look at the supports for the flex cables you will see one is higher than another. Now I have just gave the motors a spin again all hooked up to the flexi cables and the right one is still spinning slightly more than the left. Does anyone think I should try and lower the other support?

dasboata
09-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Disconnect them from you collects and spin them with you fingers what I am seeing in the pics dont look all to bad all though 1 shaft does look like it is not entering the collect straight how does it look under the boat ??

Drax21
09-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Disconnect them from you collects and spin them with you fingers what I am seeing in the pics dont look all to bad all though 1 shaft does look like it is not entering the collect straight how does it look under the boat ??

The 1st and 2nd pic above are on the left side. The 3rd and 4th on the Right. Which one is it that doesn't look straight? The left one disconnected feels slightly more difficult to turn but more so when it is in the collet. This also has the higher support of the 2 by a few mm. Under the boat everything looks fine.

dasboata
09-17-2011, 01:33 PM
The left side,,,,,,,looks bowed ,,, also looks like you have 2 different shafts in there 1 fine strand and 1 coarse strand this will make a difference as 1 is softer then the other

Drax21
09-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok I think that is the main problem. I will lower the support till its in line with the collet. Yes they are different shafts, Which type is easier to get a hold of?

dasboata
09-17-2011, 03:08 PM
well they should be a left and a right shafts,, I think Steve sells them here, Hughey are really good shafts. I would keep the fine strand 1, but you need to find out if it is left of right take it out and put some pics on here if you can take a pic where it is brazed to the stub shaft I can tell you what rotation you have

Drax21
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
well they should be a left and a right shafts,, I think Steve sells them here, Hughey are really good shafts. I would keep the fine strand 1, but you need to find out if it is left of right take it out and put some pics on here if you can take a pic where it is brazed to the stub shaft I can tell you what rotation you have

My camera isn't really good enough to take up close pictures. But I do have a few more of the flexi's .

The left side looking from the back turns upwards and to the left, the right one is upwards but to the right. When I try to put the right-side flexi in the left hand side shaft it does not fit which I find unusual.