PDA

View Full Version : spektrum dx2.0

ozboater
03-16-2008, 04:16 PM
hey folks... waiting for my dx2.0 to arrive, very stoked since the AM jobbie in the sV27 is crapola... i ll be using the SR3000 receiver and i m wondering about the antenna... since i had to lay some glass on the transom i ve covered the antenna hole i drilled when i originally shifter the antenna (from the cowl)... no biggie, it s an easy re-tap but i was wondering if i could possibly lose the external antenna altogether...

would it be possible to route the receiver wire inside the hull and get good radio function ?? i have no problems using an external antenna but if possible i d prefer the cleaner look of no antenna... i ve heard and read that the 2.4 stuff is the ducks nuts... i m hoping the stuff is great whichever way i set up the antenna... thanks for any suggestions or advice...

if anyone is looking for a new radio then check out the spektrum '2.4 dsm giveaway'... get a free receiver when you buy one (same model)... must be purchased with a radio as well... good time to upgrade if ya running AM jank as i have been...

Bill-SOCAL
03-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Many do run theirs inside. However both Spektrum/JR and Futaba STRONGLY recommend NOT doing so.

I use the Futaba FASST 2.4 and have all my antennas outside and have not had a single issue. It's a short little stub, so run it outside and don't worry about it.

JimClark
03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
No issues with my spektrum I use one of these
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000229619&I=LX9162&P=K
cut just long enough for the antenna wire. I put the reciever just below the hole and feed it up into the tube.

Jim

SJFE
03-16-2008, 05:17 PM
would it be possible to route the receiver wire inside the hull and get good radio function ??

I have been running them inside for over a year with 0 problems. Range is still excellent. That being said do it @ your own risk.

ozboater
03-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I have been running them inside for over a year with 0 problems. Range is still excellent. That being said do it @ your own risk.

no money back guarantee from you eh sj when she hits the bank at WOT ;)

SJFE
03-16-2008, 06:19 PM
LOL something like that. That will never happen. When the system encounters signal loss it goes into fail safe and shuts down. I did a range test one day and drove it out of range. It stopped untill I got close enough to pick it up again. If I had to guess Id say it was somewhere between 700 & 900 feet away.

Mich. Maniac
03-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Heck, I cant even see that far on water! Thats pretty good range. I usually only drive a small oval with enough time to get the motor wound up. I should wear my glasses but, you prolly can imagine how I look with glasses! And for the info I use a futaba pcm,ppm fm system. 6channel with 10 model memory. tis nice cause i can use it for my helis with the 6channel receivers and they make a 3 channel rx I buy for the boats. I as well have been running with no exposed antenna for a while now with no probs. but again, I cant see too far anyways.

Bill-SOCAL
03-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Well, like I said, not one single manufacturer of 2.4 radios says it is OK to run the antenna inside. But then, what do they know?? But I tend to blindly follow their advice on this just on the off chance they know more about their radios than I do.

YMMV

Mich. Maniac
03-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Well, like I said, not one single manufacturer of 2.4 radios says it is OK to run the antenna inside. But then, what do they know?? But I tend to blindly follow their advice on this just on the off chance they know more about their radios than I do.

YMMV

:tongue_smilie: sarcasm, sarcasm...however you ARE correct. There can be alot of radio and electrical noise inside the machines that could blur signals. A chance some take. MY BIGGEST concern is that antenna may come loose from where I tape it and get tangled in drive line. THAT there would bite. I am now looking into mounting antenna's on transom but, there again. another hole to drill and perhaps another leak to occur.