PDA

View Full Version : What takes to get one of those going...

puttekula
09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
real fast. And yes, I know of the danger involved in this. Anybody else in those thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/42-Dolphin-hydro-23-26cc-gas-90-nitro-race-rc-boat-/140353213396?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item20adb413d4

Goal: SAW/show off for the best bang for the bucks. (proving that electric toys are king) And I dont drive that often.

Money: Lets keep it simple. Dont need to set world record with German type of things. There must be some Ching Chong type around
that can be used/abused for decent money.

Motor: Is an outrunner good for this purpose? How to cool them?

Battery: Of course dependent of motor choice. Once again Chinese brand?

Propeller: The best there is.

Drivetrain: As above

Rudder etc: There is some nice Chinese stuff around.?

Radio stuff: I already have

Something else:?

Let your thoughts and fantasys flow.....

Thx in advise...

Boaterguy
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
A hobbyking T600 (1100kv) on 8S would do pretty well, and a fightercat 16.200 esc.
no idea about props but around the 48mm range may be good.
hobbyking has some reasonable rudders, but I don't personally buy their struts or drive shafts (and i'm a budget builder if there is one), you can check out the OSE store for that stuff.

puttekula
09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Thx for answer.
How to cool a outrunner?

Fluid
09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
This is a large hull with spotty performence....knowledgeable gas guys are staying away from them in droves. Frankly I'd start with a known good hull, bad ones don't run well no matter how much money you spend on the guts. I assume you want speeds in excess of 70 mph, many gas boats today run in the 60s. A Speedfreak hull is easy to tape up and I have personally seen one exceed 100 mph on an official SAW course, not on a GPS.

A big 10S hydro is not going to be cheap if you want dependability. I see new guys asking about this topic all the time, but either they see the high cost up front and go another direction, or they build on the cheap and have a junk boat. I have yet to see one be successful, it takes experience. Not trying to talk you out of the idea yet, just giving you some perspective.

Outrunners are not good for big boat use if you want top speed, a T-600 is simply not large enough and won't handle the large amount of amps you will need. I'd use a Castle 2028 or Leopard 5698 if you don't want to spend much money, a Neu 2230 if you really want to go fast. ESC, that's a crap shoot on a big boat like this.

Batteries - all the power in an FE boat is in the cells. Cheap cells simply won't deliver the power that higher quality ones will. If you are serious about speed, forget the Turnigy cells. Mid-priced cells may be okay, club members have had great luck with Hyperion G3s. 10S2P with 5000 mAh 40C cells or better will get you decent performance without burning up.

Cheap hardware will break. SpeedMaster is what you want.

Frankly, if all you want is to show the gas guys that FE rules speed-wise - but you don't want to spend much money - go with a smaller boat. There are numerous builds here on OSE with 31" to 40" cats that hit 70 mph and are a lot less costly than a 10S gas boat. 6S stuff is also a lot cheaper even for quality parts. If you are sold on a hydro then a Phil Thomas SS45 on 6S will get you 70 and lood good doing it.

puttekula
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Thx Fluid (and others) for your effort into explaing to us noobs. Ive seen it in several posts in different cases now.

Deep inside me I know there is no short cut into this. But I like to spend time with some thinking and dreaming.
Unfortenately Im into RC car racing, helicopter and some RC planes as well. Maybe I have to decide for what to do... ;o)

Once again thx...