PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions - Just got an Impulse 31

texas347
09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
I just picked up an Impulse 31 - What do you guys recommend for flotation in the hull? How is the range on the stock radio?

I too have about 2-3mm of play in the rudder but will attempt the fix listed in the other thread. I have an X445 from Chris at Dasboats on order and Gens Ace lipo's on the way. Can't wait!

martin
09-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Pool noodles.

ejimbo4
09-14-2011, 03:33 PM
I am new to this too and only got to run mine for 4 minutes before I had knee surgery so I have been down for 3 1/2 weeks now but I have been doing suggested stuff to it that I read on this forum. Pool noodles for flotation,water in-let in rear of boat instead of just tubeing running through hole, up graded to 5mm bullets on everything, water proofed all electronics,loc-tite on all screws and nuts that need it and ground a small flat spot in flex cable for set screw to get good bite. I have to say that the four minutes I got to run it were awesome!!! I ran it stock with 2- 2cell 5000mah 40c turnigy packs and a x445 prop and my jaw dropped this thing is sweet and the radio range was great no problems for stock equipment. Reason I only ran it 4 minutes is because I still had deans connectors and small bullets between ESC/motor and it got a little warm so I just shut it down and figured I would have some soldering to do while recovering! Now I can't wait! My friend said he will take me out on his pontoon boat so we can check mine out because my leg is still in a brace and I can't get in my kayak yet. I hope you enjoy yours but if you have time while your waiting I would consider new connectors to keep the heat issues down with the bigger prop.

texas347
09-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the replies - I received the prop and batteries today (prop from dasboats looks awesome by the way). I siliconed the 2 holes where the hatch attaches and I fixed the rudder slop. Sure enough one of the set screws on my rudder assembly was not on the flat spot. Took it apart, reset the screw and boom - zero slop! Have the bolts loctited now as well. I will change out the connectors tomorrow, add a little bit more flotation and hit the pond on Saturday morning. I cannot wait! This is a really sweet boat. Seems to be well made and a lot of boat for the money.

Steve@TheHardRichards
09-17-2011, 03:55 PM
sweet, let us know what the upgraded prop does for you compared to stock. im a few days away from ordering myself a new prop, seems the x445 is the popular choice.
glad the fix for rudder slop worked for you.
rock on !!
steve
www.thehardrichards.com

texas347
09-18-2011, 01:45 AM
X445 worked great! First run on the boat was today and I am totally impressed. As mentioned above I had to fix the rudder slop but that was really it. I went over every bolt - they were all tight. I siliconed around the water exit on the side of the hull and I siliconed the tabs where the hatch attaches to the boat. Also changed out the Deans connectors. Gave it a final check today and the performance was flawless. It drew quite a crowd at the little lake by my house. Boat did porpoise - like others mentioned I bent the trim tabs down a tad and moved the batteries forward a bit more and the boat was dialed in perfectly. I love it. Now I need more sets of batteries! I never ran mine with the stock prop but the motor had no issues with the 445 and it threw quite a rooster tail. Dasboata did a stellar job on the prop. You can tell it was heavily worked and the results showed.
All in all - I am a very happy owner. This boat will be a blast.