PDA

View Full Version : Dual Water Pickup Rudder

upnorthMC
09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
While evaluating a dual cooling setup I am wondering if there is a dual water pickup rudder
available somewhere that would fit on the MC? The ones I found on a few sites seem to
much bigger than is needed. Could a dual rudder be trimmed down to fit ? Anyone know
of one that might work ? Thanks!

siberianhusky
09-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I use the stock sponson pickup and a sv27 rudder which is a direct drop in replacement in the bracket. Installed dual exits in the side of the hull so I can see the water coming out. Both shoot out at least a foot.
Otherwise you can cut down a rudder no problems, might need to plug holes in the bottom with a bit of silicone, they usually drill down deeper than the inlet slots. Depends on how much you cut off.
I don't know of a direct bolt on replacement that uses the same mounting holes in the hull, I tried a couple different ones here before settling on the SV rudder.

sonny1717
11-01-2011, 02:22 PM
How did you access the side of your boat to mount the outputs for you water lines , seeing how the motor and electrics are a separate compartment ? Did you drill big holes on the inside ?

siberianhusky
11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I make my own outlets, these were extra long so I just drilled through the hull and tub, used goop inside and out to hold them in place.
Just use a good sized pop rivet pull out the mandrel and JB weld a length of brass tubing inside it, from the outside looks better than the manufactured ones, they sit closer to the hull, can be polished if you want and cost a few cents to make. Only problem is a box of rivets will last a couple of lifetimes, but costs less than one pre made outlet.
Been doing them this way for years, got the idea from RCM magazine back in the 80's.

sonny1717
11-08-2011, 12:21 AM
dude, loved the idea, the ul1 rudder was a direct replacement , still need rivets, but should have her done this weekend

DjFlipNautikz
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
By Any Chance you have pictures of what you mean siberian? or maybe a direction you can point me in? i will eventually like to do this so would love to see a picture atleast.

siberianhusky
02-02-2012, 06:37 AM
SOrry I don't have any current pics of that boat.
The rivets I used can fit a piece of 1/8 brass tubing inside once you pull out the mandrel.
Drilled two holes between the motley and crew on the port side right through the hull and liner.
Used about 2" of brass tube in the rivet, this is enough to pass right through the hull and tub leaving about 3/8" sticking out inside the boat.
The holes in the side of the boat are about 5/32 or just big enough to hold the body of the rivet leaving the dome outside the hull.
Use some shoe goo or goop to hold them in place.
Mine are up high enough on the hull side so I can see both streams of water shooting out when I run past the dock.
I'm done work for the day so a may try to do a "how to" with pics and post it in the tips section.
A number of people have asked me about these cheap home made outlets.

DjFlipNautikz
02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Awesome that would be great