PDA

View Full Version : motor turns when finger off transmitter trigger

Chenige
09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Setting up a Hobbyking 90A SBEC ESC with a Flysky radio system.

Used the programming card to set ESC parameters.

I followed directions and hooked up the ESC to the battery while pushing forward on the throttle. Hear 3 beeps and another beep which I believe is correct.

Issue is that now with finger off the trigger motor turns. Stops when I push forward and goes fast when I pull trigger.

Does the same thing will three different ESC;s.

What could I be doing wrong? Turning the throttle trim on transmitter does not fix it.

siberianhusky
09-13-2011, 09:26 AM
From the sounds of what you're doing everything is working right, You are programing throttle range using the brake portion to full speed. So when you let off on the throttle the trigger is only going back to mid point which the esc thinks is part throttle, 0 throttle is when you are pushing it all the way back into the brake range.
It's the "pushing forward on the trigger" that makes me think this, try it without pushing the trigger into the brake range, I arm or set up mine to go from "neutral" on the trigger to pulling it all the way back to full speed. At no time do I go into the brake or "pushed forward" range.
Not sure exactly which esc you have but it kind of works the same for my AQ, Proboat and Swordfish escs for setting the throttle range.

Chenige
09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
I did try not pushing forward on the trigger when first hooking up the ESC to the receiver. It gives a continuous beep pattern until I finally push forward on the trigger. It then works just like before with the motor only stopping if I push forward.

Here is a scan of my programming card. Any issues there?

HYDROJERRY
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
i had the same prob with my 2ooa swordfish,,, reverse your throttle on your controller then do your nomarl plugin and set,, see if that works for some reson it worked on mine..

Chenige
09-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Here is how to initiate the ESC with the receiver/transmitter the first time they are together.

Giving full throttle while initiating puts it into programming mode.

HYDROJERRY
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
yeah do all that stuff but with everything off switch your controller throttle switch to reverse or the other way,,

HYDROJERRY
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
mine would run just like you mentioned untill i did this!!!

Chenige
09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
thanks but no go so far.

If I do the initiation with the transmitter reversed it just reverses the throttle. Forward is high speed, pull is off and let go is low speed.

HYDROJERRY
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I just hunted for my old thread on rcgroups.com and all i did was switched the throttle on the controller one way or the other and turned the throttle gain to halfway and did the setup with the trigger again and mine worked,,,, sorry it didnt work on yours,,you did wait for the beeps correctly wright,, im sure you did, then im lost sorry it didnt work..

Boaterguy
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
maybe it's the trim setting while you are programming, if it is too far in one direction the throttle range then it could offset the whole throttle range in one direction, or do you have to push it all the way back before it shuts off?

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Do you have another radio TX and RX system? or do you have a buddy that can loan you a system to see if the same fault comes up.

Douggie

Chenige
09-13-2011, 02:17 PM
I will try the above BUT I just remembered this statement over on zippkits. I would have bought this ESC but wanted higher than 50amps.

So is there anyway around this?

http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=336

"This ESC is special because it will work with pistol grip OR stick transmitters! That's right, this ESC will correctly auto calibrate to any stick (or trigger) position."

"Most ESC's will not work with a pistol grip radio unless you push the trigger fully forward for off. Then the motor runs when you let go."

"This is hard on the ESC, not to mention dangerous. "

Chenige
09-13-2011, 02:55 PM
I tried another flysky TX/RX and same issue.

Pulled out my old Magnum FM and the same issue.

I tried 3 trim settings, full CCW, CW and centered. Did not help.

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
You have an ESC problem, ditch it and buy a quality ESC and possibly a higher quality radio system

Douggie

Chenige
09-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Issue is I have to buy 4. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

However is the Seaking 90a for $60 the cheapest "quality" ESC?

Fluid
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
It is tough to have "quality ESC" and "under $100" in the same sentence. The best low-amp ESC I've found is the Castle ICE100 (but you need a PiStix) - it is near bullet-proof without water cooling but it's not under $100....

After you turn on the radio, can you adjust the throttle trim on the transmitter down until the motor stops turning?

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Issue is I have to buy 4. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

However is the Seaking 90a for $60 the cheapest "quality" ESC?

If you have four and the same problems I would ditch them, ask a buddy to loan you a Turnigy or Castle ICE100 and see if you have the same problem, if so your radio is not functionig properly or not set up correctly.

Douggie

Chenige
09-13-2011, 03:49 PM
It is tough to have "quality ESC" and "under $100" in the same sentence. The best low-amp ESC I've found is the Castle ICE100 (but you need a PiStix) - it is near bullet-proof without water cooling but it's not under $100....

After you turn on the radio, can you adjust the throttle trim on the transmitter down until the motor stops turning?

No, but somehow one of my ESC's has the motor off with the trigger off now. Same setup that I was using before and have been trying on others. I am not touching that ESC unless I have to. But unable to get others to work.

Chenige
09-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Do not have a buddy here. Only friends I have are here:crying: Well, RC boating friends.

The ESC's did the same thing with another radio so I am pretty sure it is the ESC design.

One thing I can do is go to the want board and see if anyone has any smaller ESC's they have grown out of.

carlcisneros
09-13-2011, 10:45 PM
can you please post a picture of the ESC?

TheShaughnessy
09-14-2011, 01:36 AM
did you mess with the epa on your throttle at all?

Not the trim...

Another thing u could try is instead of going 100% brakes just gradually push forward until u get a beep, you might be able to get it to arm and be at 0 throttle with the trigger in the neutral position, don't give up im sure it is something simple. Ive had lots of esc's seem "strange" until i get them figured out.

Chenige
09-14-2011, 07:00 AM

siberianhusky
09-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Some escs just don't like some radios,The stock esc for the original SV27 doesn't like Spektrum radios much, to get it to work I have to reverse the channel, set the travel to 130% forwards and back and have the trim back 20.
Proboat and Swordfish escs work fine with normal settings using the same Rx and Tx. Yet those escs also work fine with the stock AM Aquacraft radio that runs the SV esc without major adjustment other than reversing the channel!
I wonder if anybody else is running the same esc/radio combo as you? I'd try a general internet search, I found the solution to my esc issue from a RC forum I'd never heard of in London On.
There is some combination of settings that make it work, just need to figure it out!

siberianhusky
09-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Just realized thats a heli/air esc, I'm not sure how you got the one to work but they probably don't like the trigger style tx.
I'm not sure but this may be what those pistick are used for, never seen one so they might work the opposite.
It's actually arming correctly, it isn't programmed to take into account the brake portion of the throttle range on a car/boat tx because the esc can't/doesn't have a brake or reverse setting.

Chenige
09-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Siberian, thanks. That is exactly what is wrong. Had no idea what Helicopter mode meant but it makes sense that you would want to keep the prop turning if your finger comes off the trigger.

This ESC is programmable in that area. Can someone look at the above programming card picture and tell me how to set it up for the Batt. Helic section. I need to have the jumper on the Lipo part but the same pie section also contains the RPM Off/ Helic 1 option. How do I do this? There were no directions for the card. I could program with the TX but would rather use the card.

Thanks for all the help.

Chenige
09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Well I got some help over on the HK forum. I ended up programming using the TX. The first step is to program the throttle but the instructions did not bother to tell you how. So here it is.

if you look on page 6 of the manual.the first beep seqence 4 A" beeps is for the trottle.
steps to set up
1, hold trigger all the way back (full fwd)
2, power on the ESC
3, the esc will beep(4 times)
4, during this 4(A") beeps release the trigger
5, the ESC will beep 2 times
6,remove power from ESC
7,put power on ESC push trigger foward(full rev sig)
8, esc will count batterys and arm
9, release trigger motor will remain stoped till trigger is pulled
in FWD direction motor will stop when trigger goes to mid position