PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

goldendesign04
03-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Given the war, politics, rampaging college kids with pistols, gas, gold, an Im sure each of us could come up with a pletora of other mindnumbing circumstances that plague the world each day; I thought I would offer us all an alternative perspective.

I just finished reading Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space by Carl Sagan, again for probably the 10th time.
Now look at the photo please then read the next passage given at a commencement ceremony in 1996 by Carl Sagan

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

some more info that photo was taken by voyager feb. 14 1990 on its way out of our solar system at a range of 4 billion miles (6.4 billion kilometres)

Read. Think. Believe

-Wayne

goldendesign04
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
heres the picture

Flying Scotsman
03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Wayne, a well chosen thread and boy does it hit the nail!!

Douggie

goldendesign04
03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
thanks douggie,
ive heard the audio of the speech an it gives me goosebumps thinking of it, its not futility you see... its pespective. Knowing in the grand scheme things can be trivial yes. but the point i get from this it to trivialize the inadequate, horrific, an calousness of the world. Its small in this grand scheme so focus on what makes it seem so large, the good.

-Wayne

Rex R
03-15-2008, 01:18 PM
do you know what enabled us to be able to take that photo...the cold war. with missile tech developed to deliver nukes.

Doby
03-15-2008, 01:43 PM
do you know what enabled us to be able to take that photo...the cold war. with missile tech developed to deliver nukes.

Ironic Isn't it..........

Bill-SOCAL
03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Since conflict seems to be the natural state of mankind it is at least heartening to know that we can also derive positive benefit from our desire to annihilate each other.

Another amusing image:

You Are Here (http://www.fiu.edu/~sps/you_are_here.gif)

goldendesign04
03-15-2008, 02:47 PM
nukes or daisies, my thoughts on that are with the universe being 12-14 billion years old (big bang theory estimated guess) is this:
On a long enough timeline everyones life expectancy drops to zero.

that was a quote from somewhere I fail to remember from whence it came