PDA

View Full Version : octura m545

driftah
09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I just began work on an m545 and wondered if anyone has noted the super thickness of the prop cast.I am going to thin the blades anyways then sharpen and balace but I had to take the dremel to remove the thick blade meat to my thickness desired.then begin the filing.And does anyone have a guage on how thin to go as I want it lighter but not bendy weak lol?:biggrin:

Boaterguy
09-13-2011, 01:49 PM
if you feel unsafe working on the prop (such as sanding, pushing it to remove the prop nut) without bending it then it is most likely too thin.

785boats
09-13-2011, 02:35 PM
The last couple of M645 props I've received were also extremely thick & it took a lot of work to thin them down.
Other Octura props in the recent past have also had lots of mold flashing hanging off them & had very ragged edges on them. They were also way out of balance.
I've become a great fan of the Prather props lately. Nice & thin & pretty well balanced to start with. They don't need as much work to get them dressed & ready.
After you get the M545 to your liking, try one of the Prather S225 props. It's a 1.5 pitch also, but fractionly larger in diameter. I think you'll like it. Both in quality & performance.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hpi-prather-s225

driftah
09-13-2011, 09:45 PM
cool thanks ya i have worked several props but wow this one was thick as heck.I thinned it to what some of my others are and then gave it the ole balance and sharp we will see tomorrow how it does hehe.Ya the flashings are funny as you can see the true outline of the mold they use haha.I just use a careful hand and a dremel tool to thin it then shape it accordingly.

iamandrew
11-06-2011, 05:23 AM
i got the x645 and it was chunky, i was supprised becase the x642 that i got was thin and sharp , this other thing is like ships propeller!!

Drax21
11-10-2011, 07:55 PM
I only have one place in the UK where I would buy Octura Props. Man called Tony Ellis owns Model Marine Supplies. He is the main Octura prop supplier in the UK I believe. I get him to do my props every time. Always arrive nicely sharpened balanced. Cost is normally £23 to me shipped so about $37 in your money. I bought one of my Octura Props off a different seller B&S, but it was awful job and blades were very thick. So I guess Tony has been thinning them down too.

jamespl
11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm going to try some props from propshop. they come sharpened and balanced and i think they come out a bit cheaper than the octura.

martin
11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I dont think youll find Propshop props cheaper than Octura, I bought a couple of stainless hydro props from them about 4 years ago & they were somthing like £54 for the 2 props. They were polished but not sharpened or balanced. Also if they dont have a particular prop on the shelve youll wait forever for them. The 2 props i bought were around 50mm diam.

martin
11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
I get some stuff from Tony also , he is a good guy with lots of stock as well. You can also get some Octura props from Astec Models & Prestwich Models. Thickness on Octura props seems to vary a great deal, Ive had some x632 & 1630 that were very thin to start with before sharpening & balancing & certainly didnt need thinning any more. Ive also had x435 that were quite thick & need a lot of material removing.

martin
11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Those 2 hydro props i bought are now £66 for the 2 + postage. I also think youll find they only polish props & dont sharpen & balance them. They are much more expensive than Octura.

jamespl
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Those 2 hydro props i bought are now £66 for the 2 + postage. I also think youll find they only polish props & dont sharpen & balance them. They are much more expensive than Octura.
Got this off their website
Most propellers are made to order however we do keep a selection of popular scale props in metric threads, and speed props in metric threads or imperial bore dog drive. Special shaft sizes or BA/UNF/UNC threads can still be supplied if required.*!** All of our propellers are
sharpened and balanced.
The one I was looking at is a 40mm 3 blade prop similar to the x440/3 and that one is just over £20 so about the same price as buying a sharpened and balanced octura x440/3

martin
11-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes your right re sharpen & balance, when i spoke to them some time ago they said they only offered polished finish or rough finish on the props i was interested in at the time.