PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

Boaterguy
09-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Just wondering where they have the water pickups on the full size racing cats, such as the genesis or aqua mania.

m4a1usr
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
If you are referring to the Offshore Super Boat Class then all those "big/fast boats" are in the Turbine Class and have no water pickups. The Gas Turbines are air cooled. The smaller hull classes of Offshore are dependent upon what size and type motor they run. The modified gas engine classes do have water pickups on the bottom of the sponsons (not all, some have a fresh water recirc system), then the smaller boats can have outboards. Theres a bunch of different clases so there is no real 100% answer unless you are talking about the big 200 mph boats. They tend to be jet powered.

John

Boaterguy
09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I meant like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLcZLiHmvDc
I guess they aren't waterproof in the turbine "room" so air cooling is sufficient

sailr
09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
VERY cool video!

drwayne
09-12-2011, 10:07 PM
My 1:1 jetboat has a closed recirculation cooling system.. with a pickup in the hull bottom for the heat exchanger.
A friends 1:1 race boat has same.
But these are little ones with modified 'car' engines ...

Im yet to see a watercooled jet aircraft !!!!

Boaterguy
09-13-2011, 01:36 PM
My 1:1 jetboat has a closed recirculation cooling system.. with a pickup in the hull bottom for the heat exchanger.
A friends 1:1 race boat has same.
But these are little ones with modified 'car' engines ...

Im yet to see a watercooled jet aircraft !!!!
or an oil, such as mineral oil, they have much better cooling, that may be neat to have a closed re-circ mineral oil system, and have the main tank watercooled to keep the temps on the oil down.