PDA

View Full Version : Delta Force Explorer Cat

tiqueman
09-12-2011, 12:18 PM
3pm Friday afternoon my doorbell rings and I find a big box from OSE has arrived. First impressions upon opening the box was :drool:. Beautiful boat. The hull seam on this thing is the best ive seen except for my HPR. And even at that, its super close to as good. I was pondering another twin build but, it just seemed un-realistic at the time, and, I really wanted a Q boat to run again as I was running my Genesis but sold it some time ago to fund other projects. I had that concern in the back of my head that it would carry some of the same characteristics as the Genesis (or FC Daytona). However, after closer observation, DF did some really thought out changes. The hull is 2" wider than the genesis. But, the tunnel is alomst identical. DF widened its sponsons and with the super wide hatch, setting this boat up twin would be extremely easy. Lots of room. And the hatch is super long as well.

So, Friday afternoon I begin sorting thru boxes, bags and bins to see if I can scrounge up enough hardware to build this beauty. By early evening, I discovered I had everything I needed. So the building began. I was on it until about 1130pm when I decided to call it quits. Up and at it Saturday morning, also while working on a fellow members mini mogli, by about midnight, she was ready for her maiden voyage at Ackerman park the next day.

As I mentioned, I set it up to run Q-offshore. I used a 4074 Leopard 1400KV and 6S1P. I ran a Tenshock prop I got from Sailr a while back. Its about 42mm, but not quite sure of the pitch. he seemed to remember its similar to an Octura 442. First launch yeilded a steering connection issue. I couldnt get the set screw to bite down enough on the push rod. After trying several club members 1.5mm wrenches, I finally got one that snugged it up. The 2nd launch was better but my cog was a bit far back, after one more adjustment I was able to turn a few laps. This one was caught on vid and is in the vids section. I had a bit of water intrusion and tried to do some on site fixes and ran it one more time. On about lap 2 I took my eye of the boat and hit the center of the turn bouy dead center. It contacted w/ a nice solid thud as the boat launched and did a half back flip through the air and violently rolling after it contacted the water again. I thought for sure something was damaged. As the boat was recoverd and brough back to the bench, all I found was a battery was knocked loose. The hull was perfect, not even a scuff. I ran it one more lap or two but still had quite a bit of water getting in.

So last night I worked on a few things. I did the ol heat shrink on the nose of the strut onto the stuffing tube. ( Im using the HOTR type hrdwr you can find here on OSE) I also did the silicone tubing at the motor side of the stuffing tube and slid a piece of 7/32 into the 1/4" at the motor side to help as well. Im running 3/16 flex with no teflon. First boat Ive set up like this as I started 20 yrs ago in gassers always being told teflon teflon teflon. Several great builds on here have convinced me to try one without.

This morning I gave it a 3 min run and Im even more impressed by this hull. I also had made a few strut heigh and angle changes and moved the cog a tad more forward. What a difference. I know it will be different in race conditions, I just hope it will continue to run as it is without the hooking issues the Genesis possesses in race water. If youre looking for a nice quality built, solid, but light, 36" size cat. This may be the one.

Next race is in two weeks and it will hopefully be against a member or two as yesterday was our test and tune day so we really had no head to head combat going on. I will update the thread as soon as the boat has seen those conditions and report any news, good or bad.

Pics show current set up as well as when it arrived Friday, and thats a castle 1520 in the sponson to show the roominess.

Oh and for those wondering, "tiqueman built a boat without carbon fiber?????" To be honest, I wanted to put as little effort into it as possible just incase it turned out to be a dud. There will be carbon, dont worry. Besides, I had two boats going from non drilled hulls to complete, both started Friday and both were done Saturday. So extra work was outta the question. But I still tried to do this as clean as possible incase I decide to leave it as is. Hope you enjoy

HYDROJERRY
09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Aww man another frickin cool looking boat ''what am i going to do'',,,,i saw those vids and that thing rides nice, looks just like one of the Befu hulls realy big thow,, frickin quick building there scott, if it were me it would have sank,,

hebner
09-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Scott,
Nice build, how does the size compare to Bill's SC and my Team Believer Cat, did you set this up to run Q Offshore 4 minute race or 6 laps oval racing?

tiqueman
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey hugh. Its 1p so I doubt it would make a 4 min heat. Since we've only ever run q in 6 lap style that's how I planned to run it. Although I do have 6s packs for the hpr so I could try it in a 2p configuration.
Comparitively its not really like either the sc or the mm. Both of those are like tanks compared to the df. Id suspect the sc and mm will be better racing machines??, but the df just looks so nice. It runs a lot lighter too so that could lead to some bobbles with it. Perhaps 2p will help it to plant without sacrifices do too weight. Its all speculation though at the moment since it hasn't seen race water. Will you be at ackerman in 2 weeks?

hebner
09-12-2011, 06:09 PM
I should be there, I'll bring Team believer to run some 6 lap heats and churn up that race water for you.

sailr
09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I have to say that the new cat hull is absolutely beautiful! DF did a great job on it and it runs good too! I was there for the maiden yesterday. Good job Scott!

sailr
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Dang! I'll be out of town for the next meeting at Akerman. I'd bring my Q boat ... Sprintcat 40 if I was in town. Maybe the next get together on Oct 9.

tiqueman
09-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I should be there, I'll bring Team believer to run some 6 lap heats and churn up that race water for you.

Sounds great Hugh. And don't forget lso

I have to say that the new cat hull is absolutely beautiful! DF did a great job on it and it runs good too! I was there for the maiden yesterday. Good job Scott!

Thanks Jim. I wish I would have had an oportunity to test it before Ackerman. Some slight changes this am and she's running much better.