PDA

View Full Version : Got her in my hands!

Racer944
09-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Just picked it up on my way home from work. My LHS had one on backorder for me since July, and as soon as it came in the door, they called me!

Darin, congrats on being involved with another really nice boat... it was well worth the wait and I am looking forward to a test run a bit later this week!

A few observations:

- Hatch seems to be made of the same material as the Geico but feels a bit thicker/stronger and with flotation built in
- Front hatch pin area is sealed on the hull side just like MG
- No shear bolts on the rudder (mounting system precludes it). Hitting somthing may be expensive...
- Battery trays are much longer then the Geico
- In my opinion, looks really good in white and the graphics are actually very nice
- Paint finish and fiberglass is flawless on mine, although sponsons look like they could still benefit from blueprinting (a few minor concave areas)

Cheers;
Eric

roadrashracing
09-08-2011, 01:20 AM
You would think it would have a breakway rudder like the impulse.

Derrick Davis
09-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm expecting the little brown truck to deliver the highly anticipated MYSTIC Cat to me tomorrow. But I'm not excited..... Oooh yes I am! :banana:

Derrick Davis
09-08-2011, 08:32 PM
:popcorn2:

Piranhafreak
09-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Got mine today it looks so much more bad A$$ in person cant wait to try it out i threw on a prather s225 prop to test it out though it might be a little to much but my friend is running it on miss geico without problems

Diesel6401
09-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Got mine today it looks so much more bad A$$ in person cant wait to try it out i threw on a prather s225 prop to test it out though it might be a little to much but my friend is running it on miss geico without problems

The miss geico has a lower kv motor (more torque), the mystic has the 1800kv stiletto/impulse 31 motor (less torque). Me gots a feeling a s225 is gonna be a little to much for her. I bet a grim 42x55 or a s220 maybe a good starting place... Just my thoughts.

Nice boat guys, must I admit I am said I haven't ordered one yet.

ron1950
09-12-2011, 12:29 AM
what are u guys doing anyway? no video's yet?

tunnelvision
09-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Debating on whether to repaint my Geico to do a JBS Racing theme or just grab a Mystic and rebadge it. Post some pics and vids guys!

Derrick Davis
09-14-2011, 06:11 PM
To all those interested- I will attempt to give a brief (amatuer) summary of the knew Mystic I received last Friday. :bounce: Many of you are already very familiar with the hull from the C5000 (R?) Geico so I won't go into those details.... I think we would all agree that this boat design is a thing of beauty!! I'm not going to lie....I stare at this boat...alot! I think it makes my Wife uncomfortable. I will mention that Proboat did add a piece of styrofoam underneath the canopy hatch (I believe someone else here already mentioned this). I do not have the Geico so my comparison is based on the feed back on this forum from those of you that own the Geico. Regarding the hatch, I think the Mystic hatch is a bit thin, but what do I know?! I know that I always use hatch tape. :wink:
First impression appearance wise, the boat looks fast sitting still! I think the white hull is very clean looking and reminds me of the big boys that haven't had the paint job or all the sponsor decals added yet. I think the decal set that are on the boat out of the box are very minimal in a good way. The fit and finish of the hull and decals are very clean with NO blemishes (not on mine anyways)! :thumbup1: I don't have half the experience or know how as many of you. But, even I can see that the hardware on this boat is much improved from previous proboat models! Many of the mods you Gents did to your Geicos (offset rudder, strong motor/ esc, stainless steel prop) has already been done to this boat. Score! Now for in the water thoughts - First thing I did was pull the shaft and slapped as much grease on as I could. I put my new sr200 marine receiver in added some turnigy 2s 5000mah lipo (40c) batteries. I taped the hatch and in the water it went. I got 4 or 5 runs in over the weekend....I could immediately tell that the handling of this boat is amazing!! I don't have a gps but I will tell you this boat flys across the water effortlessly! I would have to agree with the guy from Horizon that did a review of this boat on Youtube....as much as you push this boat it is surprisingly stable and simply sticks to the surface of the water. I experienced very little porpoising at about 3/4 throttle from time to time. May have just been the water I was kicking up. I did NOT experience the dreaded porpoising that the Geico had before many of you "tuned" them (I've seen your videos) . In my opinion, the boat gets on plane very quickly and can accelerate through corners unlike other RTR boats.
Very impressive and thrilling! I'll close with a few observations-
I LOVE how the hull is so open and easy to work in. I also like how the drive shaft is one piece....this makes removal for maintence (greasing) a snap. I REALLY, REALLY....REALLY love how tightly this boat seals up. Not one drop of water did have in the hull after the runs. One slight concern that I have not put my finger on yet- With the last 2 runs, I experienced an intermittent howling. :confused1: It almost sounded like something was binding, and yet there didn't seem to be any drop off on speed. ? I'm going to run it again this evening after I give it another grease job. Heck, maybe I'll get some video. :ohmy: This was along winded and a bit wordy but I hope it gives you a sense of what this boat is like.
Love the boat so far!
:beerchug:

stony
09-16-2011, 12:14 AM
So Eric, you opened up this thread and we haven't heard from you since. Have you put it in the water yet ?? Chop chop !!!

Racer944
09-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Stony/Guys;

My apologies... I got sent away for a few days related to work (unplanned), and its been crazy with the family, so have had little time to get out on the water. Having said this it has hit the water at a small local pond near a friends house just to see that it runs, but I have not had a chance to take it out to our race pond yet (hope to go this Sunday or one evening early next week).

From what I could see with my quick tests though, she is very smooth right out of the box (strut setup like my MG to start), and faster in stock form (than stock MG), but I won't really know much more until I hit the course on the race pond, and see her handle a bit of chop. So far though I love it, and promise to report back once I have a bit more time with her under my belt.

I wonder what props will be the ones for this setup... I know my MG likes a 642 on the stock setup, but that may be a bit big for this lower torque motor... Grim Racer 42x55... X640... Any thoughts?

Cheers;
Eric

BondoBob
09-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi Guys, I'am new here. I have been looking at the MG but notice the Mystic had some changes that alot of you are doing. The boats look the same. Is the Mystic any faster? What kind of speed can you get out of a stock boat? I sure enjoy all your advice,pics and vids. Very nice work.

Derrick Davis
09-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Shes a looker....
Enjoy! :popcorn2:

martin
09-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Guys, I'am new here. I have been looking at the MG but notice the Mystic had some changes that alot of you are doing. The boats look the same. Is the Mystic any faster? What kind of speed can you get out of a stock boat? I sure enjoy all your advice,pics and vids. Very nice work.
Geico has 1500kv motor & 45amp esc & composite prop, Mystic has 1800kv motor & 60amp esc & stainless prop. Hull size im not sure on but the specs say Geico 26.75" long x 7.9"wide, Mystic 29" long x 9" wide. Id deff go for the Mystic .

martin
09-16-2011, 02:54 PM
+ the Mystic already has the offset rudder which the Geico needs mods to off set the rudder.

Piranhafreak
09-16-2011, 07:15 PM
geico and mystic are the excat same hull the only difference in the hull is the battey tray placement

the mystic is faster not much though i have both boats the the differences are as follows

hull has battery trays in a different place other then that it is 100 percent the same

motor and esc is upograded and yes it is a little faster

rudder is offset i really have not seen a difference in performnce

and paint scheme is different obviously

other then that that is it

rmbelair
09-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Not according to Martin there not?

martin
09-17-2011, 07:12 PM
What i said was , Hull size im not sure on but the specs on Horizon web site say the sizes i quoted. These sizes were taken from Horizon UK the importer of Proboat in the UK where i am. Having looked at Horizon in the US they have both hulls the same size. Martin.

ron1950
09-17-2011, 08:45 PM
how many times has darin said they are exactly the same hull? 5 or 6? why fight it

Derrick Davis
09-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Ditto what Ron said....the hulls are the same size.... per Darin. I remember Darin telling us that there was some misinformation on the Horizon site early on but they corrected it. The difference (as stated here by others) is the Mystic comes with a stainless steel prop, 60 amp esc and an offset rudder. These were all things that the original Geico owners did not have and either changed or upgraded too.
I took my Mystic out today in some light chop and it performed very well! I do like the fact that the battery trays are longer so you could move the batteries fore or aft depending on the water conditions. :thumbup1:

BondoBob
09-18-2011, 11:04 AM
How fast do you think it goes?

stony30
09-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Got my mystic this past Friday. Running it with 5000mah, 40c lipos . I've had issues getting my pics to upload. I don't have a single negative thing to say about it. Looks fast just sitting in the water waiting for that trigger pull !! It is a blast to drive and handles the corners like its on rails. BUY one !!

Derrick Davis
09-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have a gps to provide an accurate speed for the Mystic. If I had to guess I would say the Mystic is doing 43 ish....mph. All stock.

gek1946
09-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Will the Mystic 29 be able to run on 5s without any major changes or
what is the best 4s combination?

stony30
09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I would contact a tech at horizon for that answer !! I won't use my boat as a guinea pig sorry ...

Darin Jordan
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I would contact a tech at horizon for that answer !! I won't use my boat as a guinea pig sorry ...

Their "Official" answer is going to be that the boat was designed for 4S, and anything beyond that is at the user's own risk.

The Motor will likely handle it... the ESC MIGHT, but you WILL be putting it at risk.

The stock 1800KV motor setup, out of the box, is pulling around 56A average current. It's right at the ESCs rating. We all know that this ESC WILL handle more, for awhile, anyhow, but you are taking a chance.

The stock MG with a good prop will easily do 40-43mph when well setup, and is capable of much faster if you push the prop selection. However, again, you are risking burning something up.

As they say, "Speed is Money, how fast do you want to go? $ $ $"... If you are looking for higher performance, it's just like any other RTR (Traxxas, Losi, etc...), you'll want to pop for a new ESC, and then a new Motor. There are lots of affordable options out there that will jump up the performance of this boat.

Hope you are enjoying it so far!

stony30
09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
The "official" answer from someone who helped design the mystic is always a good thing . I personally love my "stock" mystic for now , but how many of us in this hobby be it cars, trucks, boats etc. ever keep things stock forever right ?? I'd say that i'll probably have maybe a dozen more runs added to my half a dozen before I take out the esc and motor and upgrade . Anybody interested in slightly used parts ?? :)

stony30
09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
The "official" answer from someone who helped design the mystic is always a good thing . I personally love my "stock" mystic for now , but how many of us in this hobby be it cars, trucks, boats etc. ever keep things stock forever right ?? I'd say that i'll probably have maybe a dozen more runs added to my half a dozen before I take out the esc and motor and upgrade . Anybody interested in slightly used parts ?? :)

stony30
09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Ooops ...

stony30
09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Finally took some pics. A couple are kind of far. Zoom in if you can . :rockon2:

desmobob
09-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Nice shots, stony!

That third photo would make a great screensaver or wallpaper for a Mystic 29 lover.

Mine is my first RC boat, and I'm quite happy running it stock. One of my buddies already bought one and another of our friends has the RTR version pre-ordered, so we'll have a blast doing some racing this fall. But I can see myself buying a new ESC and motor this winter.... :-)

Take it easy,
desmobob

stony30
09-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, that was a nice calm day. I do love mine also. Thanks

Derrick Davis
09-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Shoot... I thought I'd be the first to post some action shots of the Mystic! I snoozed. :beerchug: Nice photos stony!! I spend too much time staring at the boat when I should be taking a few pics or videos. :doh:
Keep her upright!

stony30
09-27-2011, 11:13 PM
I would've done video, but too hard to hold cell in one hand and transmitter in other and actually drive with any speed !!

bluznbeers
10-09-2011, 01:54 PM
sexy!!