PDA

View Full Version : Darin's Vac-U-Pickle

Darin Jordan
03-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Vac-u-Boats new Vac-u-Pickle!!

Check it out Guys! This is going to be the next big rage... WHAT a NICE boat! One of the nicest ABS boats I've ever seen... Actually, it's not ABS, but HIPS, High-Impact Styrene. It's about on par with Graupner quality.

You won't believe how rigid this thing is! Came JUST like you see it here... I took it out of the package and started taking pics... Heck... I could have hardware mounted in it in an evening and be racing a white boat by morning! 1lbs 13oz as you see it here... 26 1/2" or so... Phil is working on more cowls for it... including the Oberto style... (which I WILL be getting when they arrive! ;) ) Servo mounting location set... motor mount location set... Man... this is a NO BRAINER!! WAY TO GO PHIL PACE!!

I'll post more pics as I start assembly... I think this would make a FUN N2-Sport boat, but I think I'm going to make this into an LSH hull instead... Should be AWESOME on SV27 and Lipo power!!

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Vac_u_Pickle_001.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Vac_u_Pickle_002.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Vac_u_Pickle_004.jpg

Darin Jordan
03-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Here are a couple more shots:

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Vac_u_Pickle_006.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Vac_u_Pickle_007.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Vac_u_Pickle_010.jpg

JimClark
03-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't see it on their web page?

Doug Smock
03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't see it on their web page?
Hey Jim,
Here is a link to a blind page on the Vac-U- Boat site.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Pickle.htm

Doug

goldendesign04
03-13-2008, 01:16 PM
man that thing looks good, clean lines easy set up has me thinking I need another addition to the fleet! Is it available now?

ozboater
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
wow... that thing is nice... good looking boats those guys have, very clear instructions... i m interested in one of these..

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Cracker.htm

excuse me ignorance but i m guessing this little cracker would be a 6 cell beast ??

have fun with that build...

TeamFubarRacing
03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Doug Smock and his bud's have been running this hull for near a year now... LSH, N-2, P-Sport...

he's the best info source out there...

i ran the origional at the '04 NAMBA FE Nats in LSH form...

it's a sweet pickle and the plug, a Porter Harvey built hull was pristeen and as straight as they get!

Ron Green

Doug Smock
03-13-2008, 04:56 PM
wow... that thing is nice... good looking boats those guys have, very clear instructions... i m interested in one of these..

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Cracker.htm

excuse me ignorance but i m guessing this little cracker would be a 6 cell beast ??

have fun with that build...

Yes sir, we run the Cracker on six cells and a ROAR stock 27 turn motor per racing rules.
I have set up a couple of them with surface drives (one with brushless) just to push them to the limit.:w00t: They are alot of fun but you have to drive them. WOT will get you in trouble in the turns.

Doug

Doug Smock
03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
man that thing looks good, clean lines easy set up has me thinking I need another addition to the fleet! Is it available now?

Phil said he is going to update the website over the weekend. Those that are interested can email him at
http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Welcome.html and get more information on availability, pricing ect.

Doug

Darin Jordan
03-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Phil said he is going to update the website over the weekend. Those that are interested can email him at
http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Welcome.html and get more information on availability, pricing ect.

Doug

VERY cool! :rockon2: I hope Phil has some helpers!

Cool also that this hull fits within the IMPBA and NAMBA proposed E1/N2 Hull size limitations.... ;)

A 6L, Hydra 120, and 2S1P ought to be enough to really rock one of these! And with the LSH option (HOPING that Lipos in the LSH, LSO, and N1 classes get approved!! :unsure: )... This would be a kool dual-use race boat... FAST too! :D I wonder how the balance would be using only 2S1P in one of these?? Guess I'll find out soon enough...

Raydee
03-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Man I am down for one....I wonder if the other guys in our club would be interested in racing these on 2s2p? How well does the plastic hull take racing abuse? I would guess better than a glass hull.

Doug Smock
03-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Man I am down for one....I wonder if the other guys in our club would be interested in racing these on 2s2p? How well does the plastic hull take racing abuse? I would guess better than a glass hull.

Raydee we have a season of racing on the prototypes they are all fine.
I stuffed mine at 50+ with 12 4200s and drove away when it finally surfaced.:eek: :w00t:

Doug

Raydee
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Doug what are you guys using for hardware on these hulls?

Doug Smock
03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Doug what are you guys using for hardware on these hulls?

We used Fullers 1" super strut bracket, short super strut .150, aluminum skid fin, 3.5" rudder, and .150 Hughy cable.

The sc700s and Jetis' came from Steven.

Doug

SJFE
03-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Doug how wides the gap on that super strut bracket? I'd like to know if a solinger strut would slide in it without having to pry it open. The struts about .100 to .125 wide.
Thanks

tylerm
03-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Finally a manufacturer who doesn't let CA near their plastic!:rockon2:
Just had a crash with my oval master and the hole was worse than it should have been....
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/viewPhoto?uname=tyleeboy&aid=5170805574619772625&iid=5170805836612777698
Tyler.

Doug Smock
03-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Doug how wides the gap on that super strut bracket? I'd like to know if a solinger strut would slide in it without having to pry it open. The struts about .100 to .125 wide.
Thanks

It measures .100 Tom.

Doug

SJFE
03-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Many many thanks my good man :smile:

fastbaltek
03-15-2008, 07:26 PM
im interested in the atlas cowl...

Jeepers
03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Its about time these came out! I cant wait to get one!

Jeff Wohlt
03-22-2008, 11:05 PM
So what is the latest? When can one order this hull?

Doug Smock
03-22-2008, 11:37 PM
So what is the latest? When can one order this hull?

Hey Jeff,
Phil hasn't updated the site yet (still working on the page)but you can contact him here.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/

Doug

JimClark
03-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Anyone figured out what scale boats could be modled using one of these? Besides the atlas.
Am I reading correctly it comes with thew top and bottom put together?

Jim

Flyguy55
03-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Phil says you can buy it either way , $10 more assembled

Darin Jordan
03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Pay the $$ and buy it assembled, guys! He does a FANTASTIC job and does it on an assembly jig... WHY try to do it yourself?? NOT worth the savings... This is going to prove to be one of the finest ABS FE offerings in a LONG time! Can't wait to see more people getting them out there...

Heath M
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Anyone know the price of these hulls yet???

Heath

Doug Smock
03-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Check with Phill Heath, but I think the introductry price is $110.00 for the assembled hull and motor mount, plus postage.

Darin is right about the the way Phil assembles these boats, they are straight as an arrow.

Doug

Diegoboy
03-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Finally!
Phil emailed me last night telling me that MY pickle will ship Wednesday. After many months of waiting (seems like a year) I'm getting mine with the prototype cowl.
:w00t: :tongue_smilie: :w00t:

flyboy320
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm on the waiting list for one of these and am trying to consider the hardware options.

I'm a newbie at this, and only bought FE RRR, just added my radio and batts, and off I went, and only Mono's at that. So from what I see from Doug's post, he used;

Fullers 1" super strut bracket, short super strut .150, aluminum skid fin, 3.5" rudder, and .150 Hughy cable

So besides the rudder base & post, is there anything else that's needed (I guess the stuffing tube and teflon liner)?

What about a Solinger Hydro System from OSE, would that work?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=sol-hydro

Anyone got any photos they could post to show the setup?

Many thanks... :)

Heath M
04-01-2008, 03:11 AM
the solinger hardware is probably the best choice for this size boat,very light and easy to install

Heath

flyboy320
04-01-2008, 07:21 AM
the solinger hardware is probably the best choice for this size boat,very light and easy to install

Heath

Can the rudder arm be turned upside down and swapped to the other so the rudder is on the left side of the prop? Can't really tell by looking at a picture of it. :confused2:

The reason I ask is I see the boat is designed to have the rudder servo on the left side "Pre-drilled servo box in port rib made to fit a HiTec HS-225BB Mighty Mini Servo."

EDIT: Well just found out on another board that it can be mounted on either side...:rockon2:

Doug Smock
04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Can the rudder arm be turned upside down and swapped to the other so the rudder is on the left side of the prop? Can't really tell by looking at a picture of it. :confused2:

The reason I ask is I see the boat is designed to have the rudder servo on the left side "Pre-drilled servo box in port rib made to fit a HiTec HS-225BB Mighty Mini Servo."

EDIT: Well just found out on another board that it can be mounted on either side...:rockon2:

How long is that rudder?

Doug

flyboy320
04-01-2008, 05:34 PM
How long is that rudder?

Doug

From OSE web site,

Rudder blade below the rudder bracket measures 3" x 1"

Doug Smock
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm afraid that rudder is too short. You need to go with a 3.5" rudder minimum.

Doug

flyboy320
04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm afraid that rudder is too short. You need to go with a 4.5" rudder minimum.

Doug

Doug, I see on one of your previous posts, you used a 3.5" Fuller rudder. Was that OK, or is the larger 4.5" you mention above recommended?

Doug Smock
04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Typo flyboy, thanks for catching it.
Here are some tips for painting styrene,
http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Painting%20Tips%20Menu.htm

Here are a few pics of the setup we used on the prototypes.

Doug

Jeff Wohlt
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Great hull for wire drives. Easy to put in and I will be running a .078 in one.

Darin Jordan
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Great hull for wire drives. Easy to put in and I will be running a .078 in one.

Jeff,

Just so you know (if you don't already have one in your hand), the stock motor location on these is going to necessitate a pretty steep motor angle and as a result, a fairly arched stuffing tube... I was thinking of wire also, but if I do it, I'll be mounting the motor way forward to relax the shaft... Might be more work than I want to do, so I may just build it straight up and as designed (for one... ;) ) and just have some fun with it... :banana:

flyboy320
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
What size flex cable are you thinking for this, .13 or .15?

Darin Jordan
04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
What size flex cable are you thinking for this, .13 or .15?

I don't put anything less than .150 in any boat that is going to run open 2S or higher... I'd do .150 in this boat if I were doing flex for an LSH setup or N2... I am likely going to set mine up for LSH with an SV27 motor (our club rules) and I may follow Jeff's lead and use a .078 Wire... That's what I'm using in my 1/10th scales and it seems plenty strong... If I decide to just keep it simple and build it as designed, however, I'll use .150 cable... reliable, simple to work with, and strong... K.I.S.S. basically... ;)

flyboy320
04-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks Darin...:thumbup1:

Doug Smock
04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Darin is right.:iagree:

Jeff, Darin,
I did some checking in the shop when I saw your posts on the wire drive.
It looks like moving the motor forward and the cells (LiPos) back you will still be able to get the CG where you need to with some adjustment.
The only issue maybe if your two cell packs are wider than about 1 3/4"

Doug

Diegoboy
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Darin is right.:iagree:

Jeff, Darin,
I did some checking in the shop when I saw your posts on the wire drive.
It looks like moving the motor forward and the cells (LiPos) back you will still be able to get the CG where you need to with some adjustment.
The only issue maybe if your two cell packs are wider than about 1 3/4"

Doug

Would you be so kind as to illustrate this one?

Jeff Wohlt
04-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe the way it is set up...my Classic only has about a 7" wire drive in it and a decent angle.

Wire drives need not be straight. They can run in cats just fine with a nice j bend. It just needs a nice bend and I keep it straight several inches from the strut nose.

I do not know what angle the motor mount is but I have not had any issue with a hydro yet. Dougs Classic has a pretty good angle and I relaxed it a bit but it runs out great with .062 wire running a 4T plett and 12 cells and 642.

I just think when looking at efficiency the smaller wire has it...granted...it has to stay together. .078 or 2mm wire will hold up to 32 cells and 140 mph...we already know that.

I will get one of those and see what is up. I like my motors forward on hydros....this puts the motor torque more on the front sponsons.

Doug Smock
04-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Would you be so kind as to illustrate this one?

No,
Let Jeff or Darin do it. After all, they are the ones who want to re- invent the wheel. :bounce:

JUST KIDING,
I'll try to post a pic tomorrow afternoon, unless Darin beats me to it.

Keep in mind that the hull has some extra reinforcement where the motor is
designed to go. This will need to be addressed if you move it forward.
Darin and Jeff have already come up with a plan for this I bet.:wink:

Doug:smile:
PS Just a bit of background.
Phil's boat varies only slightly from Garry's original design. The motor was placed where it is because that is where we could get the CG right with LSH and N-2 setups with both NiMH and LiPos.:thumbup1:

Darin Jordan
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Darin and Jeff have already come up with a plan for this I bet.:wink:

Hmmmm... and here I thought my plan was going to be to just build it as it was designed so I could get it together as easily as possible!! :confused2: ;)

I'll take a look at it closer when it comes time to put it together... it's currently about 3rd or 4th on the "to-build" list at the moment... :help:

Doug Smock
04-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Hmmmm... and here I thought my plan was going to be to just build it as it was designed so I could get it together as easily as possible!! ;)

Or I could be wrong.:zip-up:
Yeah, why fix it if it aint broke??:doh:

Doug :tiphat:

Raydee
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey I got my Pickle in the mail today....nice looking little boat. The build is superb for sure. I am planning to build mine exactly the way Phil and the testers have suggested and have some fun with it. My motor and cell setup will fully depend on the other guys in our club and if they want to make this a fun race class or not. I am thinking 2s on a L can Feigao to keep the cost down?

Doug can you tell me if there is extra support in the right sponson for the turn fin...I am guessing there is for sure but if so is it wood?

Darin Jordan
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I am thinking 2s on a L can Feigao to keep the cost down?

I'm thinking SV27 Motor and ESC on 4S1P for LSH here with our club... Easy, Cheap, and FAST! Should be a great LSH package!!

And Doug, exactly! I do enough tweaking and converting and customizing... With this one, I just want to paint it and use it! Just like what Phil had in mind!! :banana:

Raydee
04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Darin will 2s5000mah packs fit up front? I don't have any 2s packs to check YET.

Darin Jordan
04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Darin will 2s5000mah packs fit up front? I don't have any 2s packs to check YET.

I think so... There's quite a bit of room up there... it was designed for two 6-cell NiMH packs to sit in there side-by-side...

Doug Smock
04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Doug can you tell me if there is extra support in the right sponson for the turn fin...I am guessing there is for sure but if so is it wood?

Yes sir, 3/16 Epoxy-Coated, Hot-Pressed Mahogany Ply.

Two 2s 4900s fit up front with a little room to spare. You have just under 4" between the stringers.:thumbup:

Ok guys, who is going to have theirs in the water first??:spy:

Doug

Diegoboy
04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
If $$ wasn't my obsticle... It'd be ME!

Doug Smock
04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
If $$ wasn't my obsticle... It'd be ME!

I hear ya Danny.
I don't have any new builds planned for this year. Luckily everything survived 07.:banana:
Doug

Diegoboy
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
To speed up my pickle's completion date, something has to go. I decided the Vegas would be the likely victim, but when I saw the pics (again) of the photochopped bud decals, I just couldn't let her go! :crying:

http://www.diegoboy.com/misc/vegas00.jpg

Flyguy55
04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I took mine to the pond for a float test yesterday :-) Does that count as first wet ? LOL
I haven't run it yet . Monday for the maiden .
I read about an unlimited from the 60s called " What a pickle"
The graphics " What A Pickle " and pickle pix will be done Fri.
I'm going to try the Solinger hardware mounted very low, 6L , 2S2P 3300 poly Quest . I'll start with a cutdown x438 , Hydra 120.
With Battery and ESC full aft in front of the motor the CG is an 1 1/4" behind the sponsons.
This kit sure goes together easily .

Dick

flyboy320
04-03-2008, 10:05 PM
I took mine to the pond for a float test yesterday :-) Does that count as first wet ? LOL
I'm going to try the Solinger hardware mounted very low, 6L , 2S2P 3300 poly Quest . I'll start with a cutdown x438 , Hydra 120.
With Battery and ESC full aft in front of the motor the CG is an 1 1/4" behind the sponsons.

Dick

Dick, I would be interested in how the Solinger hardware fits on the Pickle...

Doug Smock
04-03-2008, 10:17 PM

Dick

You go guy!!
Please post some pics and let us know how the"What a Pickle" does on her maiden voyage.
I too am curious how they'll run with the Solinger hardware.

Doug

PS. Sweet boat Danny.

Flyguy55
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
It fits well. The bracket measures 11/16th". the transom below where its joined is 7/8th".
I'll try to post some pixs when the graphics are on .

Dick Roberts

Heath M
04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
you can mount the rudder bracket on the bottom holes of the strut bracket so you don't have to have that fixed to low on the transom.And with the new 3" rudder you should have plenty of length in the water

Heath

andym
04-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Doug, my hydro should be in OZ soon where did that turn fin come from?

Doug Smock
04-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Doug, my hydro should be in OZ soon where did that turn fin come from?

Ray Fuller, it's on his precision hardware page.

Doug

andym
04-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks Doug, did anyone try the solinger harware or did all the trial boats run fullers?

Doug Smock
04-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks Doug, did anyone try the solinger harware or did all the trial boats run fullers?

Your welcome,
We used Fullers on all the prototypes. As far as I know flyguy55 has built the first one with Solinger hardware.

Doug

Flyguy55
04-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I recived a PM on how the Solinger hardware set fits .
The push rod doesent line up between the servo and rudder horn with out a z bend .
The rudder horn sits on top of the rudder and is at least 1/4" too high and is too far left. Depending on what kind of push rod seal you use it takes a Z bend to line up. I also used a Heavy Duty EZ connector on the rudder connecton mounted below the horn .

It looks like it will be fine.
I mounted the bracket screws on the transom center line that offsets the strut 3/16th to the right. The strut is mounted on the left side of the bracket.

Flyguy55
04-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Solinger Hardware om Vac U Pickle

Flyguy55
04-05-2008, 04:15 PM
What A Pickle

TeamFubarRacing
04-05-2008, 04:15 PM
very clean look to it Fly...

Ron

Flyguy55
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Interor Lay Out

andym
04-05-2008, 08:53 PM
It looks in the pics that the strut is not at 90deg to the hull, or is it an illusion? What motor ,esc and cells?

Flyguy55
04-05-2008, 09:12 PM
A square says its 90 deg. Its off set to the right to offset propwalk.
The other specs are lisited in post # 56 .

andym
04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
A 6L should be interesting, what is the prop in the pics looks quite large for a 6L. I am glad the square says that strut is straight because it does not look like it in the pic!

Flyguy55
04-05-2008, 09:26 PM
The prop is a new barstock 50mm 3 blade from Andy Brown , just for fun , Grin
An X438 is on it for tomorrows tests.

andym
04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Can you post a vid? Would like to see how it goes on two cell compared to the 4s video I have seen. Cheers and good luck with it.

Flyguy55
04-05-2008, 10:01 PM
No Video cam , and my test pond is very small . I won't learn too much tomorrow.

Flyguy55
04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I did 3 test runs today on our small pond . Its only 290' by 125'. cement walls all around
The first run it was a little flighty . At the end of the straights it would rock from sponson to sponson ,dumping air I think. I lowered the strut 1/16th and added about 1 deg neg to the prop shaft.
no temps were over 110 f.
The other 2 runs were loose , but not flighty.
I need to take it to a bigger pond and some race water.
I couldnt be more pleased .

flyboy320
04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I've never installed a stuffing tube before, and I will be installing mine hopefully next week. When making the bend at the bottom of the boat (outside the hull), what distance or clearance do you make between the bottom of the boat, and the centre of the tube? What I mean is, how far down do you put the stuffing tube under the boat?

Since the strut that the prop shaft goes into can be adjusted up and down, how do you know where the stuffing tube should sit?

Doug Smock
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I've never installed a stuffing tube before, and I will be installing mine hopefully next week. When making the bend at the bottom of the boat (outside the hull), what distance or clearance do you make between the bottom of the boat, and the centre of the tube? What I mean is, how far down do you put the stuffing tube under the boat?

Since the strut that the prop shaft goes into can be adjusted up and down, how do you know where the stuffing tube should sit?

I sent you a link to the Vac-U-Pickle build page. The initial adjustment for the strut is 3/4" from the center line of the strut to the botom of the boat.

Doug

fastbaltek
04-09-2008, 12:08 AM
THIS will be my next purchase for sure, im building the same thing, cept i scaled mine to 25inches or so.

Ub Hauled
04-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I thought I share the beginnings of my proj.
Have not decided on where to place the waterlines
and what the final setup will be.:confused2:

Flyguy55
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
If I had it to do over , I'd run aluminum tubing along and attached to the ply stringers up to the ESC area. Like you would in a nitro rigger through a radio box on both sides, probably just above the servo. I'd have a little kick up at the outlet end . Hopefully I could see the water coming out .
I will on my next one with SV 27 power .

Dick

peells
04-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Man that little boat is sure getting a lot of response.

flyboy320
04-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions up front where the batteries go? I am looking at some 4S lipos and need to know if they will fit.

I understand the width is 4", what about the height and length clearance?

Flyguy55
04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
At the very front the depth is aprox 1/2" just in front of the motor its 1 1/4" .
Yes 4" wide. For 4S its better to run 2 x 2S packs in series.

Doug Smock
04-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions up front where the batteries go? I am looking at some 4S lipos and need to know if they will fit.

I understand the width is 4", what about the height and length clearance?

You have 3 7/8" between the rails. You shouldn't have to place the cells any farther forward than 1 7/8" BACK from the front of the hatch opening. At that point you have 5/8" between the bottom of the lip of the hatch opening and the floor of the hull.
The LiPos we tested with are the Neu Energy 25 /30 and 30/50 4900s. Two 2s packs. They measure 11/16" H X 1 3/4" W X 6 1/2" long.
They fit perfectly side by side between the lips of the hatch opening and are level with the hatch opening at the forward most point when placed 1 7/8" back as described above. Clear as mud?

You can get by with cells that are a tad wider as long as they are approx 5/8' tall.
They could be placed under the lip of the hatch opening. Length shouldn't be an issue.

I hope this didn't leave you with more questions than answers.

Doug

flyboy320
04-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys, makes perfect sense ... :)

Doug Smock
04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
What cells are you using Dick?

Doug

Darin Jordan
04-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Just for another option for 4S guys... the new Elite 5300 cells are longer, but thinner, than the PolyRCs and the Elite 4500 cells... I haven't tried it yet, but I think one of those might fit in front of the motor, though some club's 5000mah limits might make this impractical...

Flyguy55
04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
What cells are you using Dick?

Doug

I have been using 2X2S1P Poly Quest 3300s in series in my N-2 set ups . We race a mile .

Jeepers
04-17-2008, 02:22 AM
I have been using 2X2S1P Poly Quest 3300s in series in my N-2 set ups . We race a mile .

Dont you mean in parallel?

I dont wanna try keeping up with you if they are wired in series!:tt2: :tt2: :blink: :bounce:

I already have enough trouble as it is!
Looking forward to seeing you Sun, Flyguy!

Flyguy55
04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
yup , senior moment :-)

Jeepers
04-20-2008, 07:49 PM
guys I have seen Flyguys Vacu Pickle run today and all I have to say is WOOOOOOW!

peterpiper
04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I just ordered my vac-u-pickle and now i gotta choose some drive hardware and a motor/esc. I'd like to keep it as cheap as i can but still be decent stuff. I kinda like the Solinger hardware, since only one assembly to mount, but I'll have that odd z-bend they were talking about. The Fuller drive parts get kinda pricey added all up. Would any cheaper Octura stuff fit? Also havent decided whether to use the SV27 brushless outfit thats on sale or just use my airplane ESC 60amp and get the Feigao 540S motor. Comments? Ideas? all are welcome, this is my 3rd boat but my first Hydro.

Darin Jordan
04-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Also havent decided whether to use the SV27 brushless outfit thats on sale or just use my airplane ESC 60amp and get the Feigao 540S motor. Comments? Ideas? all are welcome, this is my 3rd boat but my first Hydro.

I'd go with the Solinger stuff over Octura... Just a nicer finish in my opinion, and lighter as well...

As for motors, I think the best bang for the buck would be to buy the SV27 power system... Motor and ESC, and run it on 4S1P Lipos, or 12-cells... Lipos would be more powerful, and also about 1/2 the weight...

This would give you a boat that is capable of hitting the low 40s or so, and be dead-reliable for not much bread... Or use a BJ26 motor/ESC, though I don't have any experience with that one...

You would have a boat that is race legal in two classes in most clubs... LSH and P-Sport Hydro... if that's what you are into... But that would also be a fast, fun, and friendly Sport boat as well...

If you budget is higher, you could always go get yourself an Fiago 6L, a Hydra 120, and 2S2P Lipos and make it a killer N2-Sport Hydro as well...

I think you're money would be better spent, however, doing the SV27/BJ26 setup mentioned above...

Good Luck... Post pics and progress reports!

peterpiper
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
thanks Darin, I'll probably go the Solinger/sv27 route then. I will definitely post pics. Does anybody use the speedmaster stuff? looks pretty good from the pics I see in the store here, and the rudder is an inch longer, is that any better for it?

flyboy320
04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I had my own debate not long ago on what hardware to run. I really liked the Solinger hardware, but after seeing pictures of it installed, it didn't really look like it fit quite right. I went with the Fuller's hardware because thats what the designers and testers used on their setup. Nothing wrong with Solinger, it's just what I decided.

I'm new at this, and wanted the least headaches. Figured that if was/is good enough for the powers that be, its probably good enough for me...:beerchug:

peterpiper
04-23-2008, 09:48 PM
yeah, just so many choices in stuff and we can't actually do a test feel/fit before we buy it. I was looking at the Fullers page and they also have the "next generation" 6-12cell hydro system that looks like a similar version of the solinger drive, the pic is small, so i cant tell how much adjustablility it has for a better fit than the solinger. Does look interesting and cost ends up about the same as the others. I might just get that and be the guinea pig and try it. It comes with a flex shaft but they dont say if its .150 or not.

Doug Smock
04-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Mr. Piper, give Ray a call before you place the order, he'll hook you up.

Also, Mike Martin had a hydro in Valdosta that had the SV motor in it on 4s with a m645. I was impressed with the speed, you won't be dissapointed.

Good luck,
Doug

Darin Jordan
04-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I got mine out and have the motor mount base glue drying as I type this... ;)

I'm building it straight up as it was designed... Why mess with something that already works... Plus, it gets tight VERY quickly toward the front, and something tells me that there would be issues with mounting the motor and ESC up there... The cells will be fine there...

Going to build it around an SV27 package for 4S1P and if I can get it finished in time, will race this at the 2008 Nats in LSH... I'll start posting picks as I get going...

peells
04-23-2008, 11:09 PM
so where do you get solinger hardware?

ace028
04-23-2008, 11:36 PM
so where do you get solinger hardware?

Its in the OSE store. (youve seen the strut for my renegade, its solinger)

ozboater
05-02-2008, 01:59 AM
on a different note... i went to order a vac-u-cracker today... seems they are out of stock... :( anyone have any info as to when they ll be available ??

cheers

Doug Smock
05-02-2008, 07:27 AM
on a different note... i went to order a vac-u-cracker today... seems they are out of stock... :( anyone have any info as to when they ll be available ??

cheers

Contact Phil to see when he can ship you one out. If it's going to take too long I have a kit we can send you.

Doug

ozboater
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
awesome.. thanks doug... do you have the complete $99 kit ???

cheers

oz

Doug Smock
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
awesome.. thanks doug... do you have the complete $99 kit ???

cheers

oz

I'm pretty sure I have two. I'll check this afternoon and get back to ya.

Doug

TeamFubarRacing
05-02-2008, 03:19 PM
yo Smock...

i'm building a cracker box...

i'm calling you out bubba... Smoke's Vac-U-Cracker vs Uncle Cracker's "JAM BOX"

you pick the course and race details :)

Ron

Doug Smock
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
yo Smock...

i'm building a cracker box...

i'm calling you out bubba... Smoke's Vac-U-Cracker vs Uncle Cracker's "JAM BOX"

you pick the course and race details :)

Ron

Well aren't we getting BOLD in our OLD age" Uncle Cracker"!!!:bounce:

Your on!! How long will it take you to produce your "JAM BOX"

I aint skeered,
Smock

oz,
Sombody has robbed the motor mounts out of both of these kits, I wonder who that was.:sorry:
I'll either take what Phil what he needs to have a complete boat or pick up a motor mount from him and sell you mine. I have a call into Phil now, I'll be back in touch.
Doug

TeamFubarRacing
05-02-2008, 05:56 PM
OK then...

Fish On :banana:

i'll get back to ya on the projected finish date bubba :cool2:

Uncle Cracker

Raydee
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Make sure you guys bring a vid camera ;)

Doug Smock
05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
You can count on it Raydee. Gosh, I hope I don't feel too bad for crunching "Uncle Cracker" on the race course.:lol: How about the "M" course Uncle, do you remember how to turn left??:banana:

oz,
Go ahead and order your C-Box from Vac-U Boat. We've got ya fixed up!

Good luck with her and post some pics!!

Doug

TeamFubarRacing
05-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Doug,

did i say i'm building a Vac-U-Cracker :sorry:

i ordered my Cracker Box hull last Saturday when i was in Ft. Lauderdale visiting Jerry Crowther...

you agreed to a race bro... :rockon2:

Ron

Doug Smock
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Doug,

did i say i'm building a Vac-U-Cracker

i ordered my Cracker Box hull last Saturday when i was in Ft. Lauderdale visiting Jerry Crowther...

you agreed to a race bro..

Ron

Hmmmmmmmmm:doh:
You should start a new thread ( if ) when you have something to show Mr. Cracker.:sneaky2:
Dang, this suddenly turned into a game of Chess.:confused2:
I'm not in check yet.:banana:

Forgot how to turn left huh?? LOL

Still aint skeered,
Doug

TeamFubarRacing
05-02-2008, 06:40 PM
sorry bout hijack'n the thread...:tape:

we'll take this elsewhere :tiphat:

Uncle Cracker

ozboater
05-02-2008, 08:13 PM
thanks doug... i emailed phil and apparently he ll have more after this weekend... time to build my 'crack ho' :)

thanks again for the help...

oz

fastbaltek
05-11-2008, 12:43 AM
i emailed phil about a cowl for it, and he emailed me back asking for my addy and i replied that i wanted the motor mount hardware and its been a few days since hes gotten back to me :(...

peells
05-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Well this sure convoluted away from Darin's vac u pickle now didn't it?

Doug Smock
05-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Well this sure convoluted away from Darin's vac u pickle now didn't it?

Yeah, he may have to start his own thread. LOL

fastbaltec,
Not to make excuses for Phil but this is not his full time job and he is very involved with his family and church. (allways has projects going on)

He does take his business seriously and will take care of you.

Hang in there bud!

Doug