PDA

View Full Version : water in boat

ron1950
09-04-2011, 05:21 PM
just wondering about something.....i get alot of water in my boat lately the water is washing the greese right off the freshly greesed shaft.....it seems to be comeing in fron the opening at the base of the stinger.....admitedly i dont have any rubber gromets in there to stop the water but have some on order...are u supposed to leave that opening at the transom in the stinger open or just put the rubber o rings in there?:spy:

siberianhusky
09-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Had a boat develop that problem after a stinger change, close inspection showed the bottom of the new stinger was lower than the original and hung down just enough to catch the slipstream of water off the transom creating enough pressure in the gap to force water up the stuffing tube..
I used a belt sander to sand a slight taper in the bottom of the stinger so the face no longer drags, problem solved and now less drag on the boat.
An O ring is just a band aid over the problem. Water should be able to flow smoothly past the transom and hardware.
You would get a ton of water in that boat in a very short time, now it stays bone dry inside.
Hope this helps.

ron1950
09-04-2011, 05:51 PM
thanks husky mine doesent hang down but seems to be level with the bottom......i didnt install it ...it came from kentec installed with a 3/16 stinger....was wondering if this has been a problem as he sells a pack of o rings for it

Fluid
09-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Ron, we talked about putting a piece of fuel tubing on the inboard end, but if the water pressure at the transom end is high enough it can still force water through. Once the stinger is set where you want it, try carefully sealing the gap with silicone. I did this on a hull years ago and it fixed things.

BTW it was great to meet you and race with you. Hope you can make it to other races in the area! :bounce:

ron1950
09-04-2011, 06:53 PM
hey jay didnt relize that was you (fluid) good to meet u too.........your hydro sure smoked us mono's ...i couldnt keep mine from chine walking and flipping over lol there in the ocean size waves lol....any suggestions on what to try first .....stinger angle or trim tabs etc? cog move? tryed the fuel tubeing over the end of the stuffing tube and that helped alot...last two heats i had very little water in boat (after the frist heat i couldnt figure how i got it back to shore without sinking it was so full of water.....),,,i ordered some o rings for it and will use the silacon as u suggested ...it was really strange to heavly greese the shaft and after 6 laps find a clean flex...had to look to find any greese at all.....looking for help here guy lol

785boats
09-04-2011, 08:06 PM
With those stingers I cut off a small length of silicon tube that fits tightly into the stinger & tightly over the stuffing tube at the transom. A Nitro engine silicon muffler extension for cars fits the bill.
Here's two pics one with the short piece inserted into the stinger. The piece sitting on the trim tab is the muffler extension it was cut from.
The other pic is with everything in place & nicely sealed.
Nice & dry in the boats.
Cheers.
Paul.

ron1950
09-04-2011, 10:40 PM
hey thats a good idear with the tubeing...my stinger is a shade lower then yours and it might stick into the water streem,,,ill have to use silicon prob....thanks