PDA

View Full Version : Which radio should i buy

haggis
09-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Looking to buy a new radio set

i just dont trust my old skysport 6 anymore, ive had too many near misses with radio and speed controller glitches!!

ideally a pistol grip, 2.4ghz and 3 channel (jet boat will have reverse)

futaba seems a bit pricey nowadays but the others on ebay such as pulse and etronix ive never heard of

cheers!

1truckerdan
09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
check on here
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__295__190__Tx_Rx_Systems_Parts-2_2E4Ghz_HobbyKing.html

carlcisneros
09-02-2011, 09:27 PM
If you are in the US, check out www.hobbypartz.com

look at the Flysky GT3B radios. they are great units.

here you go.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Rumdog
09-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Fightercat racing has the GT3B also. Great radio!

Shelbie67
09-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Just bought a GT3B myself off of a recomendation

siberianhusky
09-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Depends what you want to pay for. Those certainly are a good radio and a great value but you can't walk into just about any hobby shop and get a receiver for them, don't expect much if any end support other than forums.
You know the big name brands will have compatable receivers next year, who knows with the chinese off brand stuff?
You would never hear of a recall with this stuff but you would with a big brand.
For some people stuff like this matters for others not so much, the 2 channel version certainly seems to work just as well as my name brand one, just doesn't have the features, I think this 3 channel one has that covered though.
For me it just comes down to do I really want to trust my scale hydro that I have almost a year into building and hundreds of dollars into to a radio that costs less than the rudder servo it's controlling? or a rigger pushing 70mph? An SV or something like that at 40 mph yes I'd use that radio in a second.

Rumdog
09-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Recievers are available for 10 bucks. These radios are excellent. Tons of mods are available for them. They have tons of options.

1truckerdan
09-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Dang.....$57.20 for the rx/tx and 3 extra rxs with free shipping in the USA. Thats a great deal.
https://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net/yhst-62196343123315/ymix/MetaController.html?ysco_key_event_id=&ysco_key_store_id=yhst-62196343123315&sectionId=ysco.cart
It looks like free shipping to Canada also when you scroll down the page and select Canada.

Diesel6401
09-02-2011, 10:46 PM
My neighbor/rc buddy has a gt3b and is having some range issues. I am a die heart Spektrum fan (he is also, but wasn't ready for a expensive pistol grip he rocks a dx8 for air and I rock a dx6i for air and a dx3s for land and sea), if I needed to buy another pistol grip radio without a doubt I would buy a dx3c http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3300.

Receivers can get pricey: for my boats I use mr200s and mr3000's. Sr3300t for land and ar500 and ar600x for my expensive planes. For my cheap planes the hobbyking orange rx's work AMAZING for like $10 on ebay have yet to fail me, but i can't see myself sticking a $10 rx in a 80mph + edf... Just my 2 cents.

* Here's my take, I don't want to get cheap on the item/equipment that keeps my in control of my very expensive rc's! Just my 2 cents...

Rumdog
09-02-2011, 11:08 PM
That's the first I've heard of range issues with that TX. Is he running an external antenna?

Diesel6401
09-02-2011, 11:17 PM
That's the first I've heard of range issues with that TX. Is he running an external antenna?

Yup, has also happened with his land vehicles. Fresh batteries in the tx, antenna fully extened even tried re-binding a bunch of times. It's the tx (we think) considering range issues have occured with like 4 different rx's in different vehicles. His radio also has a really wierd trimming issue any other radio we install to say his cars for instance the steering servo stays straight as soon as we install is gt3b it goes full left even with the sub trim and everything at 0. Really odd, does it with every servo. I think he got a bad tx.

haggis
09-03-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm in the UK but shipping is never really a problem

Ill definately have a look at the dx3c and the gt3b

cheers for the info!

jamespl
09-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm in the uk too. I'm in Stourbridge near Birmingham. Where are you? I run the gt3b and love it for the money. I would deffo recommend it.

haggis
09-03-2011, 05:46 PM
i'm south of glasgow, work down at the coast so the boats get used in a loch and the sea!

martno1fan
09-03-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought the gt3b radio off ebay from a chinese company for £35 delivered,told him i needed it withing a week as we were due to go away on holliday and it was at my door in the UK in 3 days talk about fast service.
Mart

Flying Scotsman
09-04-2011, 03:13 AM
My neighbor/rc buddy has a gt3b and is having some range issues. I am a die heart Spektrum fan (he is also, but wasn't ready for a expensive pistol grip he rocks a dx8 for air and I rock a dx6i for air and a dx3s for land and sea), if I needed to buy another pistol grip radio without a doubt I would buy a dx3c http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3300.

Receivers can get pricey: for my boats I use mr200s and mr3000's. Sr3300t for land and ar500 and ar600x for my expensive planes. For my cheap planes the hobbyking orange rx's work AMAZING for like $10 on ebay have yet to fail me, but i can't see myself sticking a $10 rx in a 80mph + edf... Just my 2 cents.

* Here's my take, I don't want to get cheap on the item/equipment that keeps my in control of my very expensive rc's! Just my 2 cents...

I could not agree more.....service backup support and quality are my main issues on a purchase of a very important piece of equipment.

Douggie