PDA

View Full Version : Bad strut bushing

BlastYoMoma
09-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Well got a motley crew....ran 20 min. and the flex cable snapped taking my 42x55 grim prop with it to the bottom of the lake. I figured out the strut bushing was too tight on the shaft so I ordered an upgraded speedmaster 21 strut bushing with a ose upgraded flex cable. First off I've heard several people say the speedmaster strut bushing is a good upgrade, how is this so it is too long and doesn't fit into my strut ( just barely too big in diameter). So I drilled and sanded the stock bushing until the cable spun freely in it and it spun freely in the strut. I have read several posts claiming the bushing should be allowed to rotate in the strut, but when I fired her up the damn bushing is trying to exit the strut as I feared it would. Please help, what should I do, I am ready to smash this boat! Cant believe this thing still has these issues, I assumed they would of been addressed by now....Where's Grim when I need him? Can someone tell me what a direct fit upgrade would be, and is the strut bushing supposed to spin in the strut housing or not, any help much appreciated.

Fluid
09-02-2011, 09:22 AM
There is nothing wrong with your strut bushing now. In spite of what some "experts" might say, strut bushings are supposed to "float" as you describe. I've been using them for decades and they work just like that, winning me lots of races and records. Just keep it well lubed and don't worry about it. Unfortunately the MC has a known issue with the flex cables, they usually break.

You are right, the SpeedMaster bushing is not a direct drop-in - not sure where you heard that it was. You can get a replacement bushing here:

http://kintecracing.com/Motley_Crew.html

martin
09-02-2011, 02:24 PM
As said they are designed to rotate & float back & forth, This was comfirmed to me by Speedmaster themselves in a former debate on this very subject. Martin.

Akoni
12-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Is there a method/trick to taking the stock bushing out of the strut? Mine will not come out freely....

LordNegaDuck
01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
i just got a MC and when i removed the flex shaft the Strut Bushing came out with it and the shaft it self will not spin at all in the bushing. not being one to get the vice grips out to force it to turn i figgered i would ask here if this is normal

Jeff Wohlt
01-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Did you lube it before you ran it or are they all that tight from the beginning? Does this "floating bushing" float in the brass stuffing tube of larger dia or float in the alum housing? Stainless steel on brass is a good bearing surface just not sure spinning brass in alum will not end up boring it out bigger or get hot and gaul it. Sand your shaft down in a drill. Also remove the bushing and lube the shaft before putting in the bushing then put lube around the holes in the bushing before sliding it back in...of course too sloppy and no grease will stay in the bushing because of water and spinning. Many of us make and sell the bushings. Cut off if too long.

LordNegaDuck
01-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I have Never run this boat. the bushing came out of the strut easily enough its just suck on the shaft and with all the surface grease off of it i can not turn the bushing

NissanGTR
05-31-2012, 12:15 AM
I just bought an OSE flex shaft (to replace by broken OEM one) and it will barley spin inside the stock bushing.....

Will it loosed up after I run it? I don't want to hurt the motor or loose another flex shaft if this thing binds....

Is the flex shaft supposed to spin freely inside the stock bushing?

Fluid
05-31-2012, 07:59 AM
The shaft should spin very freely inside the bushing. There may be a burr on the inside of the bushing from drilling the holes, carefully running a 3/16" drill bit through the bushing by hand should remove it.

Grimracer
05-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Jay for catching this.. I can not keep up on all the posts here..

Follow Jays advice.. he is dead on!

Grim

martin
05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
If its tight in the bush free it off first before you run otherwise you risk possibly breaking a flex or drawing to high amp draw & damaging the electrics. Dont try running it in by running the boat.

NissanGTR
05-31-2012, 12:14 PM
The shaft should spin very freely inside the bushing. There may be a burr on the inside of the bushing from drilling the holes, carefully running a 3/16" drill bit through the bushing by hand should remove it.

I ran a 3/16 drill bit before I posted originally. It is still SUPER SUPER tight. It seems the OSE flex is too large for the stock bushing or the stock bushing is faulty? I did loose my original flex shaft on the first run in about 3 seconds.....

I have owned this boat for three weeks. Spend an additional $60 on it and have not had a chance to run it once..... sigh....

NissanGTR
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Is the strut bushing made out of Beryllium Copper? Can I sand it without a mask on?

siberianhusky
06-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Brass, safe to work with.