PDA

View Full Version : Brushless Reef Racer not as fast with 2.4GHz Radio

domp444
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey again! My little brother has a Reef Racer 2, which I converted to brushless last year. He's been using a crystal radio so I decided to move it up to 2.4GHz since I had an extra rx. It is a Tactic Pistol 2.4 radio. We put it in the water, and what a disappointment. It wasn't going nearly as fast as before. I believe the problem is that there is no D/R or Throttle Rate Trim on the radio. Since the throttle is reversed, I believe it's not able to reach it's full speed.

Here is the configuration:

Great Planes Ammo 28-45-2700 (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWY4)
Great Planes Silver Series 25A Brushless ESC (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKSY4)

I'm also using a PiStix adapter to allow me to use a Pistol Radio with an airplane ESC.

Anyone know what I can do to get it to work as before? I wouldn't wanna go back to the crystal radio, it's a lot safer for him without the huge antennas.

1truckerdan
08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Check your "end point settings" for the throttle channel on your old tx/rx might be set (higher) different than the new one.
Daniel

domp444
08-31-2011, 12:27 PM
The crystal radio had a "D/R" trim nob, but I think that is for the steering rate now that I think of it.

That is what I was thinking about the EPS. How can I change the EPS for the throttle channel on my new one?

1truckerdan
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Here is the Tatic page for the TX
http://www.tacticrc.com/tacj0245.html
I don't see any adjustment for the throttle EPA .....
I wonder if you bind it with the throttle centered off (towards more brake) if it might work.
I have not had any experiance with the TX/RX you have......so I am just trying to help come up with ideas to try.
Hopefully someone else will chime in
Daniel

domp444
08-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Yep, there isn't an adjustment for the EPA. To bind it, I have to go to full throttle and wait for 3 beeps. It would seem that when I bind it full throttle it would recognize where full throttle is and work.

Rich
08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
I have that esc and have used it in my Gecko, I never had to use a PiStix to adjust it. Try recalibrating it with out it. I will be a pain in the butt to get it to work though. You have to play with the trims and throttle reversing to get it to work. If not, is there a throttle calibration with that esc, I don't recall if there is one or not.

domp444
08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Without the PiStix I have to hold the trigger all the way back. I tried adjusting but it wasn't going well so this solved the problem. Much easier to arm and disarm the ESC this way.

Tried the boat again today, but I think we're gonna go back to the crystal radio unless we can solve this problem. The boat goes significantly slower and is not as much fun :thumbdown:

Rich
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Come to think of it..what voltage battery are you running?

domp444
09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
It is a 2s LiPo.

Rich
09-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Hmm that's weird, the only thing I can think of is its not seeing what full throttle is on the tx, give the other radio a try and see if the problem still persists.

domp444
09-03-2011, 12:20 AM
That's also the only solution I could come up with. I'll try it again with the crystal radio next time and see what happens.