PDA

View Full Version : Motor KV and Number of Lipo cells combination

JonD
08-31-2011, 04:24 AM
Seems that the question "which is the best motor for my boat ?" comes up time and time again on this forum, and everyone has their own thoughts and recommendations. I am currently going through the same exercise for my Genesis. Lot's of reasonably priced motors out there that appear to offer good reliability and performance, based on what I read on this forum.

However, seems to me (and please correct me if I'm wrong), first thing to find out is what "rated RPM" best suits your boat. I gather that some boats work well with a bigger diameter prop at lower RPM while others (like the Genesis, according to several postings I have read) work better with a smaller prop running at higher speed. Is this correct?

If so, then does it make sense to first decide on a target RPM? (i.e. rated motor KV x battery voltage) e.g. I have heard that 28,000 - 30,000 RPM is about right for the Genesis. I realise that this is only "rated RPM" based on theoretical motor KV and battery volts, and not necessarily actual achievable prop RPM, but it gives a starting point or basis for making decisions. Am I right so far?

This "target" RPM can be achieved by various combination of motor KV and number of LiPo cells (battery voltage). e.g. a motor with a low KV with say 8 cells, may result in the same RPM as a motor with a high KV and say 4 cells.

I guess, where I am leading with all of this, is how do you decide which way to go i.e. low KV motor and high battery voltage or high KV motor and low battery voltage? Or doesn't it make any difference?

e.g. If I look at Leopard motors, say in the 4074 range, the 1050KV with say 8 cells (about 29.6V) would give 31080 RPM, and the 2150KV motor with 4 cells (14.8V) would give 31820 RPM - almost exactly the same.

A low KV motor with higher battery voltage would result in about half the current of the high KV motor solution, which I would imagine would reduce overall temperatures, especially in the ESC. Also, reduced current would reduce the "work" that the ESC main capacitors have to do in filtering the voltage ripple caused by high current.

High or low KV motors cost around the same. Lower current rated ESC's are generally cheaper (as long as they can handle the higher voltage), but higher voltage 6 - 8 cell LiPo's tend to be more expensive than 4 cell LiPo's.

So, what is the general consensus? Or am I missing the point completely ? :confused2:

Cheers,

Jon

midnightsabotage
08-31-2011, 05:21 AM
I'm guessing the biggest difference is just cooler overall running on higher voltage, but higher cost of more cells in your Lipos.
Fightercat explained quite a bit to me, but I'm all ears for even more explanation on the topic!

:popcorn2:

JonD
09-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is able to offer any further help or feedback on this?

I am tending to think that a low KV high / 6S-8S combination is the best solution. Am I right, or is it more complex ???

Cheers,

Jon

Chenige
09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm just starting out here also but the size of the boat also determines the number of batteries you can carry.

My little 20" mono could maybe fit in two 2s batteries. Could never fit in a decent mAh sized 6s combo. Besides a 6s would probably sink the 20" due to weight.

HTVboats
09-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think its all that complex but more just what your trying to move and how fast you want to move it. Racing and performance all boil down to one factor. Weight to horsepower. A smaller lighter boat can work well with less battery and weight. To carry 8s battery weight you need a larger boat. In the mid range 30-40 inches you have some crossover where a light fast hull may work well with a 4s combination and just a little more weight or resistance in hull design will require 6s or 8s power. All can be efficient when balanced and not overproped.
Mic

puttekula
09-02-2011, 09:18 AM
The difference between different packs giving the same amount of effect in 6s versus 4s setups arent that big, if any....
If the prop rpm is the same in those setups.
And perhaps you can use batterys with less C rating as well. Gives cheaper and smaller batterys.

detox
09-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Without reading much of your original post. I think maybe this chart may help.

detox
09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Or this one.

Chenige
09-02-2011, 11:07 AM
but which is better is his question.

The 3200kv with 3S at 35,520 rpm or
the 2400kv with 4s at 35,520 rpm or
the 1900kv with 5s at 35,150 rpm or
the 1600kv with 6s at 35,520 rpm

they all give proper rpm. Now most likely the boat size will configure the number of batteries but if you have a choice between 3S and 4S?

For most of you guys it may be obvious but we have no idea!

Raydee
09-02-2011, 11:20 AM
For me I would run the lightest setup you can that won't produce a extreme high amount of current and won't kill your cells. I am in the process of changing one of my 4s boats to 6s because the amps are just a bit to high on the 4s setup and my batts are getting beat up. With the 6s setup the target RPM will be the same with a motor KV change but the setup will be more efficient and easier on the cells.

PapaGriz
09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
but which is better is his question.

The 3200kv with 3S at 35,520 rpm or
the 2400kv with 4s at 35,520 rpm or
the 1900kv with 5s at 35,150 rpm or
the 1600kv with 6s at 35,520 rpm

they all give proper rpm. Now most likely the boat size will configure the number of batteries but if you have a choice between 3S and 4S?

For most of you guys it may be obvious but we have no idea!
What I have learned here is that higher voltage and low KV will result in the lowest amp draw and therefore lower ESC, motor, and battery temps. As well as lower amp spikes to the ESC and batts.

You want to go with 6S 1600kv in that case.

You could run two 3S packs in series to get 6S to save cost on batteries, but two 6S packs in parallel will get you longer run times.
Running two 3S packs in series would be about the same cost and run time as a single 6S pack.

Here is a quote from another member in one of my threads.

Remember: The higher the voltage the less amps drawn from the batts to the motor; the more cells in parallel the less the amp draw per pack = longer run time. JIM

PapaGriz
09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
One thing I didn't mention but was mentioned by HTV. It also depends on what you want out of the boat.
If you want to do top speed runs and run times are not a big deal then a lighter 3S setup might be better.

I am building a boat for endurance running that will need to run cool for 10 minutes and top speed is not my main concern. So for me a higher voltage setup with packs in parallel is the right way to go.

puttekula
09-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Please, if theres any experts regarding this out there, please enlighten me/us...
But..

If we take a 4s system and wants appr 1775 watts we have to add appr 120Ampere.
If we take a 6s system and wants appr 1775 watts we have to add appr. 80Ampere.
The difference is 34% less. So assume we have chosen the right KV motor for the same
propp rpm and we want the same running time, the battery has to be 34% less in capacity....
And with the less demand for high currency battery we may be going from a 40C to a 30C.
Those parameters will get us to appr the same size of batterys....