PDA

View Full Version : Light weight motors?

Drax21
08-30-2011, 10:55 AM
What are the lightest XL size motors you can buy?

rearwheelin
08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Why ?

driftah
08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
xl dictates size and usually therefore weight and length etc. if it is lighter there is a chance for "skimping out" parts inside.maybe go with an l series motor,what is the application?

NativePaul
08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
The lightest XL is a 380XL:olleyes::roflol:

rearwheelin
08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I agree 380xl.

Drax21
08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
xl dictates size and usually therefore weight and length etc. if it is lighter there is a chance for "skimping out" parts inside.maybe go with an l series motor,what is the application?

Thanks for all you replies. I have a Apparition 32" Hull with 2 Feigaos 7XL but I don't like the weight of them. How much lighter is a Leopard or Tacon 4074? I only ask as I hear Feigaos are heavy????

Fluid
08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Feigao XL = 372 grams and a Leo 4074 = 374 grams. No difference. If you want to save weight you'll have to go with a smaller motor, like a Feigao L (282g) or Leo 4060 (295g). This is less of a problem in a 32" hull since the motors share the load, and a single Leo 4074 will push the Apparition hull as fast as you want anyway. Either smaller motor will work well, but you are only saving ~6 ounces total.

rearwheelin
08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
4074 motors are heavier than 540xls, they are bigger motors. With 2 7xl motors weight will be of no concern in a twin cat.

Drax21
08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
4074 motors are heavier than 540xls, they are bigger motors. With 2 7xl motors weight will be of no concern in a twin cat.
OK thanks for letting me know. What about Heli Motors?

Fluid
08-30-2011, 06:40 PM
4074 motors are heavier than 540xls, they are bigger motors..Sadly incorrect and misleading to the OP. Where did you come up with that? It's not what their spec sheets say. I even put mine on a scale and guess what - they weigh the same (within the 1/4 ounce resolution of my scale anyway). :olleyes:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=fei-540XL&cat=116

http://www.leopardhobby.com/product/product_veiws.asp?id=1251&functionID=01020201

rearwheelin
08-30-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't see the need to get OCD on the weight of the motors... That's sad ! I bet the water jacket wieghs more on the 4072 also ! Even if it's within a few grams..... The weight of the motors are not a issue period . Drax21 forgive me bro, I took a guess because motor weight is no concern...... Many racers add lead to there boats and for CG reasons.... FWIW go with the Leo , 4 pole motors are better, they are more efficient and put out better power to weight ratio than the 2 pole motors.

Drax21
08-30-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't see the need to get OCD on the weight of the motors... That's sad ! I bet the water jacket wieghs more on the 4072 also ! Even if it's within a few grams..... The weight of the motors are not a issue period . Drax21 forgive me bro, I took a guess because motor weight is no concern...... Many racers add lead to there boats and for CG reasons.... FWIW go with the Leo , 4 pole motors are better, they are more efficient and put out better power to weight ratio than the 2 pole motors.

No worries, Yes Leopard are definitely the better motors. For now I will keep the 7 XL I have, will get a bigger rudder for steering in the water. From the car park to my lake its about 200 meters. The boat starts getting heavy after a while..... Please answer me this.... My boat tilts to the side I turn, would just a bigger rudder solve this or is there more???

rearwheelin
08-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Boat leaning into a turn not a issue for me, helps them.

Jacked1
08-30-2011, 09:15 PM
There are quite a few 500 heli outrunner motors that are lighter and similar in power and then you could air cool them so you would not have water jackets.

Drax21
08-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Boat leaning into a turn not a issue for me, helps them.
Its great on a deep V but it really slows down my cat. I have seen other Apparitions run and mine is the only one I have seen lean.

Drax21
08-31-2011, 05:25 AM
There are quite a few 500 heli outrunner motors that are lighter and similar in power and then you could air cool them so you would not have water jackets.
Thanks this was very informative. I guess its always a good option, i have seen them used a few times with good results

Fluid
08-31-2011, 07:08 AM
Its great on a deep V but it really slows down my cat. I have seen other Apparitions run and mine is the only one I have seen lean.Cats shouldn't lean much in a turn, they are designed to turn flat. If the outside sponson digs in it really hurts turning performance and promotes rolling over. The only cats I've seen lean much had very narrow sponsons which could not support the boat's weight, or which had rudders which were too small. The Apparition and its clones don't lean much, neither the ones I've seen nor the one I run, so you may be on to something with the weight. That said, these hulls don't turn that well anyway with their narrow beam and usually have to be slowed down to make a sharp turn. They are best in a straight line or in gentle turns.

If you are really concerned about motor weight, try using small format motors like the UL-1 or AQ1500 (depending on voltage). These can still give decent speeds depending on the prop but will drop about 11 ounces in boat weight. Will this be enough to solve your problem?

Drax21
08-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Cats shouldn't lean much in a turn, they are designed to turn flat. If the outside sponson digs in it really hurts turning performance and promotes rolling over. The only cats I've seen lean much had very narrow sponsons which could not support the boat's weight, or which had rudders which were too small. The Apparition and its clones don't lean much, neither the ones I've seen nor the one I run, so you may be on to something with the weight. That said, these hulls don't turn that well anyway with their narrow beam and usually have to be slowed down to make a sharp turn. They are best in a straight line or in gentle turns.

If you are really concerned about motor weight, try using small format motors like the UL-1 or AQ1500 (depending on voltage). These can still give decent speeds depending on the prop but will drop about 11 ounces in boat weight. Will this be enough to solve your problem?

Yeah, thanks for the info Fluid, I will get that bigger rudder as you said before. I have a new video of a run with the cat. I lifted up the back end with 2 small pieces of a buoyant material, worked a lot better, still some lean though. Wasn't looking to bad then the drive dog came loose. (I need better hex keys) Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi-fEljNzQ&hd=1

Drax21
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Cats shouldn't lean much in a turn, they are designed to turn flat. If the outside sponson digs in it really hurts turning performance and promotes rolling over. The only cats I've seen lean much had very narrow sponsons which could not support the boat's weight, or which had rudders which were too small. The Apparition and its clones don't lean much, neither the ones I've seen nor the one I run, so you may be on to something with the weight. That said, these hulls don't turn that well anyway with their narrow beam and usually have to be slowed down to make a sharp turn. They are best in a straight line or in gentle turns.

One more question how long should the rudder be. Would 130mm be good enough?
Thanks