PDA

View Full Version : New guy REALLY NEEDS HELP

RL1924
03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey guys im totally new to the forum and totally new to boats. Im looking to build a brushless boat but would like it to be as large as possible i was looking at the Delta Force 45 Hull, can this be made brushless and can it be custom painted??? Those are my two biggest concerns. And also if you guys dont mind what would you recommend for a set up i know nothing about boats so hope you guys can take it easy on me im going to need all the help I can get really appreciate it guys thanks!

SJFE
03-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the forum & this great hobby. Big boats are expensive and require some build & setup knolege. I would suggest you get your feet wet in a brushless RTR boat. If you have fun with that then dive in.

txboatpilot
03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey guys im totally new to the forum and totally new to boats. Im looking to build a brushless boat but would like it to be as large as possible i was looking at the Delta Force 45 Hull, can this be made brushless and can it be custom painted??? Those are my two biggest concerns. And also if you guys dont mind what would you recommend for a set up i know nothing about boats so hope you guys can take it easy on me im going to need all the help I can get really appreciate it guys thanks!

To start, Hello and welcome to a great adventure!!

First, yes they can be Custom Painted... That is one of my fav. things to do!

Second, a large 45" hull will be expensive to build.. Easy $1500-2500 depending on set-up... Brushless and lipo powered, is the only way to go now days...

I would recommend a Neu 2215 or 2230 motor... OSE will have them instock soon!! Also I would run 10S lipo set-up, with a Castle HV-180-240A esc... Speedmaster hardware would be a good choice... Just my thoughts..

Good Luck, Rich

I added a couple pict's of Custom Painted Hulls...

RL1924
03-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Ya my problem is I have a custom addiction everything i build RC has to be custom i dont mind the build end of it ive built a few in the past would i better off with somthing like this and using what they say?
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=df-delta33

RL1924
03-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Those are nice paints love the red with flames do you do the painting your self? I could very well be interested love it i see its gonna be a pretty penny but i love building shelf queens that still get used but "light use" I love the look of ur one with flames i think tahts what im gonna go for then the big one and see where it goes even if i never use it ill have one HELL of a looking boat! Let me know if you do the painting ur self

txboatpilot
03-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Those are nice paints love the red with flames do you do the painting your self? I could very well be interested love it i see its gonna be a pretty penny but i love building shelf queens that still get used but "light use" I love the look of ur one with flames i think tahts what im gonna go for then the big one and see where it goes even if i never use it ill have one HELL of a looking boat! Let me know if you do the painting ur self

The flames are not a problem.... I do paint myself....Here are a couple of my Dingies!

txboatpilot
03-11-2008, 10:55 PM

The Flames are on a Local friends BlackJack55 Cat.... Bonzi did it for $550.... Looks KILLER in the sun!!!

RL1924
03-11-2008, 10:56 PM
550 is that for the red one? and what size boat is that?

Also speed master hardware with .130 or .150 cable? i dont even know what that means but haha ill learn

RL1924
03-11-2008, 11:01 PM
55 i would assume a 55" then think im catching on

txboatpilot
03-11-2008, 11:02 PM
550 is that for the red one? and what size boat is that?

Also speed master hardware with .130 or .150 cable? i dont even know what that means but haha ill learn

Yes, that is the Red one with flames in two colors... The boat is 55" long ProBoat BlackJack 55......

.130 or .150 is the Diameter of the Flex cable... More power, the bigger you need...

RL1924
03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
guess the .150 for me.... Where are you located how much would some thing like that cost on a boat like im looking at the 44 inch

justneedspeed
03-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Txboatpikot whenever i see a paint job like that i wanna do it myself and it never comes out like that.

txboatpilot
03-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Txboatpikot whenever i see a paint job like that i wanna do it myself and it never comes out like that.

Practice, Practice, Practice... Then lots of deep beathing exersices!! LOL

Steven Vaccaro
03-12-2008, 08:02 AM
For the big boat you would want the .187 flex with .187 prop shaft. You can use a speedmaster dual pickup rudder with the long setback and a speedmaster 3/16" stinger drive.

justneedspeed
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Practice, Practice, Practice... Then lots of deep beathing exersices!! LOL

Do you use an airbrush?

txboatpilot
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Do you use an airbrush?

Yes, airbrushes and HVLP spray guns,, Just like a Automotive paint shop....

egneg
03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree about about using uro's for the paint - here is one I did. The second one is a in progress pic.

Bill-SOCAL
03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Honestly on anything you plan to run 10S with big motors (Lehner 30-Series, Neu 22XX) you really want 0.25" drive lines. I've snapped two 0.187 lines on Neu 1527 set ups. Big boats mean big torque and loads of stresses on the drive lines.

You can then neck down to 3/16 for the prop shaft.

blakybob
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Welcome to forum. I understand you are new to boats and are looking at building a Delta Force 45. In the fe world this is a BIG boat. Just curious why you are looking at this size. Do you run in rough water?

Blake

RL1924
03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Honestly theres no more of a reason just to I love my stuff as big as it gets.... I run a 1/5 scale car that i love over the size of the smaller 1/8th nitros I just have fun with having something that can have a massive canvas for a crazy paintjob but the more info i seem to be getting seems to stear me more towards a 30-35" boat seems the larger will be a little out of my price range for now

Eodman
03-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I recently bought a twin drive catamaran, when everything is done it will have be somewhere north of $1500.00! Now mind you this is a 34.5 in cat and the hull cost me $675.00 with just the drive hardware installed ... no motor, Esc, servos, or batteries! No props either... another 80 to $100.00 for 2 balanced props!

Not complaining just saying!!!!!

SJFE
03-22-2008, 05:27 PM
when everything is done it will have be somewhere north of $1500.00!

That is the high end for this size cat. You can build a Mean Machine 30" for 500. less support equipment.

Eodman
03-22-2008, 10:27 PM
SJ is right, and the thing is that Mean machine will run full tilt bogey! There a couple of great build threads on that hull on this sight!

blakybob
03-23-2008, 12:22 AM
What price range are you looking at? Do you have a charger? Power supply? Tools? Transmitter? Props? SJFE mentioned support equipment. It is a consideration. Most of your expense is going to go for 3 things: batteries, esc, and motor.

The size of the boat and how fast you want to push it will, for the most part, determine how much its going to cost you. You can work that backwards and it's still true I think. Please keep in mind that speed is relative to experience. Most folks start out small and slow and work their way up to bigger and faster. I'm still working my way up to bigger and faster and learning more everytime I go to the lake.

I believe that half the fun is in the build process and the beauty of seeing what you've created. It sounds like you agree. Once you've decided on what size and speed is in your wallet and driving ability, look around the forums and find some guys that have that boat. Send them a pm or email and ask them for some help and pics. That's what I do. If you want a 29" boat that runs in the 40's and 50's those guys are here. If you want a 42" mono that runs over 71mph, that guy is here too (great guy). You'll find everyone in fe boats is willing to just about bend over backwards to make sure you wind up with a boat that makes you happy.

Sorry for rambling on there.

Blake

SJFE
03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Nice job their Blake. Ryan keep quality in mind when buying all your equipment. With motors, esc's hulls & batteries sort cut's can ruin your project and over all experience. Another factor to keep in mind relative to this is resale. If you find RC boating is not for you quality parts will get you a 75 to 80% return on your investment.