PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find a successful 3 blade prop for a stock stiletto?

Vortech C5
08-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Anyone have luck with a 3-blade prop on a stock stiletto? If so, which one? Thanks in advance!

Darin Jordan
08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I gave a 440/3 a go for awhile... Seemed to work OK. Not particularly fast, but that was early on and I hadn't gotten the setup to where it is now, so it may be worth exploring again...

Vortech C5
08-24-2011, 02:00 PM
I gave a 440/3 a go for awhile... Seemed to work OK. Not particularly fast, but that was early on and I hadn't gotten the setup to where it is now, so it may be worth exploring again...

Hi Darin,
I really like the carbon props. Do you think this one will work well? Thanks in advance!

Click picture for details! Product ID: grp-2299.39
Graupner 3 Blade Prop 39mm
In Stock: 0 Details

Diameter 39mm, Pitch 1.4x42=67mm.

These Props are light, sharp and don't need to be balanced or sharpened! Looking at the transom, these props spin counter clockwise. Fit 4mm threaded shafts.

Price: $6.00 Out of Stock

Darin Jordan
08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Darin,
I really like the carbon props. Do you think this one will work well? Thanks in advance!

No, I really don't think they will work well... 1) They have too much blade flex to be consistent, and you need to be able to rely on the power delivery in a tunnel to keep it balanced in the turns. 2) The tend to not have enough cup in the blades, and slip too much as a result...

These types of props generally seem to be aimed at hydro applications, with their higher lift characteristics.

I'd start with an X440/3 or X442/3 and start tweaking on that... Or MAYBE an X537/3 if you are going to run a UL-1 setup. You'll need to bend on any of them to make them work correctly, but that's generally the case with any prop.

Vortech C5
08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks Darin,

I sent you a PM.

Ray

Darin Jordan
08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks Darin,

I sent you a PM.

Ray

I saw that... I don't have an extra 440/3 I can part with... (I don't get rid of many props... takes too long to prep, and they have too many uses! ;) )

You might also give this Grim prop a try, as I think it's the same thing, and this one should come fairly RTR...

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqub9720

This would make a good foundation for tinkering as well...