PDA

View Full Version : Impulse 31 questions very dissapointed

scd2747
08-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I just bought the new impulse 31 after watching all these YouTube videos . I bought the boat for 350 and a lipo charger for a 100 and 2 lipo batters 7.4 v 5000mah pretty sure two cell.. Now its put together today and I feel like my villain is faster I'm so disappointed with it . Is it because they are 2 cell batteries? Is it because I was watching
Videos of modded ones what is the max
Battery u can run on this boat and should I get new batteries and a new motor I'm new to this sorry for all the questions
Just new to the forum
And bummed over all

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I just bought the new impulse 31 after watching all these YouTube videos . I bought the boat for 350 and a lipo charger for a 100 and 2 lipo batters 7.4 v 5000mah pretty sure two cell.. Now its put together today and I feel like my villain is faster I'm so disappointed with it . Is it because they are 2 cell batteries? Is it because I was watching
Videos of modded ones what is the max
Battery u can run on this boat and should I get new batteries and a new motor I'm new to this sorry for all the questions
Just new to the forum
And bummed over all

Dude... the boat does about 33 out of the box with the bone stock setup. It's setup to allow RTR drivers to go thrash on it without burning stuff up.

Put a real prop on there, and you'll start approaching 40. If you want to go as fast as I was in the YouTube video, you are going to need to pop for a much larger motor and ESC, and twice the cells... And, I can assure you that your Villain wouldn't stand a chance against that boat! In fact, if you put a real prop on your stock setup, it won't compete with the Impulse stock either...

Keep in mind that propping up is going to stress the ESC more. That's the part that will be stressed the most. The motor will hold up to a LOT of prop, but you'll start pulling some amps, and so just be aware of the risks...

Get ourself an ABC 45x55, and Octura X645, or maybe an Octura X447... Then hang on...

Diegoboy
08-19-2011, 12:04 AM
thread moved

dmwilson09
08-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Dude... the boat does about 33 out of the box with the bone stock setup. It's setup to allow RTR drivers to go thrash on it without burning stuff up.

Put a real prop on there, and you'll start approaching 40. If you want to go as fast as I was in the YouTube video, you are going to need to pop for a much larger motor and ESC, and twice the cells... And, I can assure you that your Villain wouldn't stand a chance against that boat! In fact, if you put a real prop on your stock setup, it won't compete with the Impulse stock either...

Keep in mind that propping up is going to stress the ESC more. That's the part that will be stressed the most. The motor will hold up to a LOT of prop, but you'll start pulling some amps, and so just be aware of the risks...

Get ourself an ABC 45x55, and Octura X645, or maybe an Octura X447... Then hang on...

Darin,

I am not looking for huge speed, but I would like the boat to go a little faster without having to worry to much about the electronics. Do you think an X642 or S220 would be a good prop choice.

Darin Jordan
08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Darin,

I am not looking for huge speed, but I would like the boat to go a little faster without having to worry to much about the electronics. Do you think an X642 or S220 would be a good prop choice.

Sure... both work work well, and would be a good step-up from the stock, unprepped prop... The X642 MIGHT have a slight edge, due to the blade shape and area... If you take the X642 and run it and it looks promising, you can also bend a little more pitch into the trailing edge and get more... and it shouldn't risk the stock electronics... It's not unusual for people to run X645s or 45x55s all day long without any issues...

dmwilson09
08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Sure... both work work well, and would be a good step-up from the stock, unprepped prop... The X642 MIGHT have a slight edge, due to the blade shape and area... If you take the X642 and run it and it looks promising, you can also bend a little more pitch into the trailing edge and get more... and it shouldn't risk the stock electronics... It's not unusual for people to run X645s or 45x55s all day long without any issues...

Darin,

Thanks for the info. By the way, you did a good job with this boat. It runs well and looks very sharp and I am glad I got one.

dmwilson09
08-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Darin,

Ran the impulse yesterday with a x642 and the boat ran very well and a bit faster. Now, I live in Texas and it was 107 yesterday but the temps on the esc were around 125 and the motor was around 120. The caps on the esc were like 150 - 175 and i do not know if that is normal or not. I did have a little smoke after the first run with the new prop and I was a little nervous when I saw it, but I am pretty sure it was from the fuel tubing I put over the end of the stuffing tube. The flex cable melted it, so I removed it, and I did not have any more smoke in the other two runs. I have a little more tweeking to do, I think shes running a little too wet, but wanted to know if those temps are normal or if I need to be concerned.