PDA

View Full Version : Servo Slow Down Module for my Tunnel

properchopper
08-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Most all servos are really quick; a requirement for r/c cars and planes (and most boats). My tunnel needs a real carefull hand on the wheel to not over-control it. Too-quick an input turning in or pulling out of a turn can put it on it's head. Exponential settings didn't cut it, so I bought this doohickey for $19.95. Adjustable sweep from .7 to 14.7 seconds; a very mild setting slows the outdrive just enough. Haven't tested it on the water, but I'm very confident that this will make my tunnel driving much smoother. :olleyes:

bbill1
08-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Most higher end (read racing) radio's from Futaba and Airtroncs have this feature built in. Don't get me wrong, most of the cost of these radios are just because of the name. But they do have some features that are 'must haves' for racing. That said, if you can get something like this for $20. that just makes the score that much better.

Fluid
08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I've used that function on my FASST 4PK on a cat that was hooking badly (rudder too short). It helped a lot and was easy to do. Good thinking Tony!

Insaniac
10-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Most all servos are really quick; a requirement for r/c cars and planes (and most boats). My tunnel needs a real carefull hand on the wheel to not over-control it. Too-quick an input turning in or pulling out of a turn can put it on it's head. Exponential settings didn't cut it, so I bought this doohickey for $19.95. Adjustable sweep from .7 to 14.7 seconds; a very mild setting slows the outdrive just enough. Haven't tested it on the water, but I'm very confident that this will make my tunnel driving much smoother. :olleyes:

Tony,
Have you tested this yet? My exponential does some good, but I'd be curious about this puppy on the water...
Pete

properchopper
10-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Tony,
Have you tested this yet? My exponential does some good, but I'd be curious about this puppy on the water...
Pete

Pete,

My results were inconclusive. In general, it didn't work well but the results were muddied by a bad acting servo. The one thing I've found is that my tunnel (Herb Stewart 30") has different turn radii depending on how fast the boat is going. Replacing the servo with a better one, and very careful wheel control has made it more driveable. Still not where I want it, 'tho. After chatting with Mike L. yesterday I believe there's a ML 295 in my future !

egneg
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
When I went to a Spectrum 3R pro it made all the difference in the world when I could change the way my tunnel turned. Like props a small difference can mean a whole lot in the final outcome.

Insaniac
10-25-2011, 12:18 PM
For my VS-1 tunnel I'm using -30% exponential on the transmitter and that keeps it from hooking...not perfect, but made a big difference. How about combining the exponential with some D/R?