PDA

View Full Version : The new castle esc is on its way back to traxxas

busaboy1441
08-17-2011, 06:17 PM
It just went out right in the middle of the lake no power didnt smoke or anything wasnt even in the water for 1 minute so i dont know they want it back i was running 3s 5000mah 40c packs stock prop grease the shaft after ever 3 sets of lipos so anyone wanna buy a really nice castle esc in about a week new lol :angry:

Savage Skidoo
08-17-2011, 10:05 PM
They gave me the 2nd version . what you said above in your post happend to me on Sunday . I mailed it back . 3 motors and 4 esc's WTF CRAPXXAS .

busaboy1441
08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I know this sucks i am on my 4th set of esc and motor i mean they keep replacing them but damn i just wanna run my boat i am ready to send the boat back and tell them to keep it till they get it right lol

1truckerdan
08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
If you have burnt up 4 on the same boat .....then there might be a problem with the setup you are running..... prop? batteries? Something binding?
Daniel

busaboy1441
08-17-2011, 11:23 PM
i dont think so i think they are using cheap parts i mean i am running stock prop i temp everything so i dont know this is the first castle setup i had to send back all the others were the stock esc and motor which i know were junk i think the problem is that you have a 1800kv motor on a 6s setup and it is drawing to many amps they need to put a bigger esc in the boat from what i see no one runs 6s on a 1800kv maybe 1500kv or 1600kv like the original motor but they bumped it up to 1800kv so who knows when they are going to get it right

1truckerdan
08-17-2011, 11:47 PM
The replacement motors are made by CC in their plant in China just for Traxxas...not by traxxas and the esc is also made by CC...not by Traxxas.
CC is having less than a 3% failure rate with these....you are at 100%. Something is going on that is causing 4 of them to fail.
All I am saying is check it all out before you try again.
Daniel

busaboy1441
08-18-2011, 12:00 AM
This is the first castle setup i have sent back all the others were not castle i understand they are suppose to be better but i dont think they are i hope they get it right i must be in the 3% because castle didnt make the other esc and motors in the first batch of boats and they kept sending out the same old junk you would run a set of lipos threw it and it would be 160 deg F you let the motor set and went to 180 lol they were trying to get out as cheep as possible but hey to each there own thanks for the info genius

1truckerdan
08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
I was just tring to help.
Me,I rely on my math, feedback about other peoples success,and failures.....and a temp gun.
I have had failures also, and most of them were because I pushed my electronics too far. I now try to keep it below 80% of what the limit of it is.
Just my 2cents
Daniel

busaboy1441
08-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Well thanks for trying to help its frustrating just want a boat that will run on 6s lipo and run 50 mph just as they advertised :flame42:

dag-nabit
08-18-2011, 08:48 AM
I hope this is not an indication of what is to come with the new electronics. I questioned the sensibility of the decision to increase the motor to 1800kv but hoped Castle knew what they were doing.

It would be nice if Castle, or Traxxas, would release information on the AMP rating and other details in the new ESC, that would help determine what to expect from the new setup.

I torched a 180 amp ESC running 2000kv on 6S. If the new Castle ESC is still rated around 80 amps like the original, or even increased to 100 - 120 amps, it is still under rated for an 1800kv motor on 6S in this boat, and the problems may well continue.

As for 3% a failure rate, the new components haven't been on the water long enough to determine any valid success/failure record, so those types of numbers are really meaningless at this point.

I hope the two or three reported failures so far are just flukes, but, I admit, personally I don't have a lot of confidence in the decision to up the kv rating on the motor. I sure would like to see some specs on the new ESC.

Kevin

martin
08-18-2011, 01:47 PM
40,000 rpm unloaded on a rtr mono hull of this size is simply asking for trouble, Youd of thought they would have learnt a lesson the first time around. But they clearly didnt, Still what do boaters on this forum know. Oh yeah their the ones that soon got this boat running mid 60s mph & reliably as well.

JPriami
08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Are the new motors the same size cans as the old ones?
Also are they still 2 pole or 4 poles now?

1truckerdan
08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Here you go...
07.21.2011, 11:33 PM
Oh, and if you want some details:

The new Traxxas ESC uses the latest MOSFET from Infineon -- a really kick-butt ultra-low RDSOn part. Expensive, but worth it!

It's a large footprint to keep everything nice and cool. Comes with a 5A switching BEC built-in, and integrated 5.5mm bullets to flow power smoothly.

It's fully epoxy encapsulated, using a very low viscosity epoxy applied by some new robots that Castle built for our in-house potting line.

The motor is a four pole, 1420, 1800kV motor based on the design of our popular 1410 SCT motor. It uses stainless hardware and bearings to (hopefully!) keep the rust to a minimum. Still need to oil the bearings occasionally as the lube can get washed out with water splashing. We were originally planning to use sealed bearings, but they didn't last as long as the shielded bearings -- so we stuck with standard shielded bearings.

Of course, Traxxas got a nice, cool blue finish on the motor, and a clear anodize on the end-bells. The laser etch looks very nice with the clear anodize.

Patrick del Castillo
President, Principle Engineer
Castle Creations

dag-nabit
08-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks 1truckerdan. I had seen that information before. I would really like to know the amp and voltage rating on the new ESC.

I had seen it posted somewhere, Tower Hobbies I think maybe, that the new ESC is designed to handle more voltage and power, but the question remains, how much more.

I also checked the Traxxas website again today, all the product info, and the online manual for the Spartan, is still for the old model.

Kevin

JPriami
08-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm still missing the size of the motor. Like diameter and length.

1truckerdan
08-18-2011, 10:12 PM
36mm(1.4") X 52.75mm(2") if memory serves me rite.:unsure:
Daniel

GeoVW72
08-18-2011, 10:24 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-doPWXdAUQS4/ThYZ-XW_z2I/AAAAAAAABAg/mrJaq5qn_LU/s640/IMG_20110707_122111.jpg

New motor is just slightly longer than the old one. still 36mm diameter like the old one, length is close to 89mm. most tried to class it as a 15xx without the fins but Castle but that to bed on RC-Monster (http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30208), 1420. The rotor slug is 17mm vs 19 on a 15xx and longer, 58mm vs 55mm already had it apart (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?26878-quot-V2-quot-540XL-and-esc-deconstructed) :tongue:

I've pushed the traxxas esc to 150A bursts and it still lives, average spikes are around 120A and I would expect the castle one to be even better than that.

Still waiting to get my Castle stuff, have to bug Pete tomorrow.
Haven't had an issue with the V2 stuff I have so far, I'm too lucky that way. My only complaint is that the traxxas esc has too low a cut off.

The big issue is the drive line still, doesn't matter how much you lube it unless your too particular about it as I've been.

busaboy1441: did you notice any discoloration on the stuffing tube when you removed the tray?

Geo:Peace_Sign:

1truckerdan
08-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Thank you GeoVW72 for the length..I couldn't quite remember ......I'm getting a few cobwebs fling around in the old brain.
Daniel

busaboy1441
08-21-2011, 09:56 PM
No everything looks great the teflon liner look good i dont get it i think its bad luck :confused2:

Brushless55
09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
It just went out right in the middle of the lake no power didnt smoke or anything wasnt even in the water for 1 minute so i dont know they want it back i was running 3s 5000mah 40c packs stock prop grease the shaft after ever 3 sets of lipos so anyone wanna buy a really nice castle esc in about a week new lol :angry:

Sorry to hear about bro!
Someone said only 3% failure?
Well let's see, you bought one and now it goes back to no fault of your own = 100% failure
My local Hobbytown got one and only one of the new CC Spartan in and sold it two weeks ago and last week the esc burnt to no fault of the user = 100% failure
And talking with the Hobbytown employee who knows his stuff with boats is telling all to stay far away from traxxas and buy the Impulse 31, the failure rate on a Proboat esc is no contest to Traxxas