PDA

View Full Version : Are Spektrum radios with mr3000 rx any good or are their any problems

martin
08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Looking at one of the Spektrum tx along with the mr3000 rx, Not sure what tx yet as i like the twin stick tx & dont like trigger. I seem to remember seeing some having problems with Spektrum radios. Anyone know of any problems with them or should i steer clear of them & look to another make. Many thanks Martin.

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 09:06 AM
The new Spektrum systems for Marine use are rock solid. If you prefer sticks, then a DX6 or DX7 will work well with the Marine RXs. In fact, ANY of the Spektrum Air radios will work well with the MR-series RXs... Not sure what is available for you over in the UK, but I believe they would have what you need.

martin
08-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks Darin,It was a toss up between Futaba & Specktrum, But the Futaba rx is around £105 ($170) & isnt water resitant at all. The reason i ask about Spektrum was i seem to remember something about some probs with them at some point. Maybe if their was any probs it may have been sorted some time ago but people tend to refer to things mabe from some time ago which are not relevent with todays radios. Martin.

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks Darin,It was a toss up between Futaba & Specktrum, But the Futaba rx is around £105 ($170) & isnt water resitant at all. The reason i ask about Spektrum was i seem to remember something about some probs with them at some point. Maybe if their was any probs it may have been sorted some time ago but people tend to refer to things mabe from some time ago which are not relevent with todays radios. Martin.

The old stuff had an issue because it was using a lower powered surface protocol, that works OK on land, but attenuates when it's over water, reducing the range.

The new radios use the aircraft protocol, which is much more powerful, and also why all of the stick radios are compatible with the marine RXs...

martin
08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I can get the DX5 or DX6i tx ok in the uk & would use the MR3000rx. What would be the better choiceof tx between the 2 in your opinion & how water resistant/waterproof is the MR3000rx. Martin.

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
The DX6i uses the same DSM2 technology found in the DX7. I think the DX5 does as well, but the DX6i is a little nicer radio. I'd go feel both of them out and see which one you like the feel of better and that has the features you like. If you are just using it for a boat of two, the DX5 might be all you need...

martin
08-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I know the DX6i has a 10 model memory so not a problem switching from one model to another with different rx in them. Do you know with the DX5 which dosnt have memory facility you have to bind each models rx in each time you use each different boat rx.

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 09:52 AM
I know the DX6i has a 10 model memory so not a problem switching from one model to another with different rx in them. Do you know with the DX5 which dosnt have memory facility you have to bind each models rx in each time you use each different boat rx.

Yes... a TX can only be bound to one RX at a time, so you'd have to rebind each time you switch models. If you are going to run multiple models, I'd really recommend spending the extra $$ on the DX6i. It's a better TX overall, and I think you'll be happier with it. I have a DX7, and I LOVE mine!

midnightsabotage
08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I started in 2.4ghz for planes with the DX5, upgraded pretty quick to the DX6i, and when 10 models wasn't enough for me, I upgraded again to the DX7 :thumbup1:

I now have the new DX3c tx bound to my SV27 with a MR200 rx and am very happy. I've never had an issue with any of my Spektrum products and they all have my approval.

As far as water resistance, all I read was that the marine receivers had some type of water resistant coating. I would not trust them to be waterproof by any means. I have my MR200 in a waterproof Traxxas radio box just in case water gets into my boat.
Can't be too safe when it comes to protecting your equipment!

martin
08-18-2011, 10:08 AM
How waterproof is the marine rx, Is it just from splashes of water or is it submersible.

martin
08-18-2011, 10:17 AM
The problem you have with 15-17" micro hulls that i run inc Mini Sprint hydro hull is you cant use sealed boxes etc because of very limited space to say the lease, A couple of balloons is about the best you can do on the rx which is why im looking at the Spektrum radios. The Futaba rx is just prohibative on their prices when you need an rx for each boat & cost of replacments as theirs no protection at all on them either.

midnightsabotage
08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I would not run any receiver (water-resistant or not) without atleast a balloon sealed well over it. Unless you can coat the whole board in silicone or other non-conductive waterproof coating. Perhaps Plasti-dip?

It may void the warranty, however.
I have a friend who did it with epoxy and showed me the receiver working in a glass of water.

Bottom line though, I'd be much happier getting water on/in an unmodified spektrum marine rx than any other unmodified rx.

Darin says below that the mr3000 receiver is completely sealed inside a block of epoxy type material (which I wasn't aware of previously). I'd definitely go for that rx if:
-You're tight on space and cannot fit a waterproof receiver box in your hull
-You don't want to risk voiding a warranty by coating the board with a waterproof coating
-You don't put your receivers in balloons or you'd like an extra step of assurance over just putting your rx in a balloon

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
The MR3000 is completely sealed inside of a black epoxy material. The only contacts exposed are the servo lead contacts and the two antenna lead contacts.

The MR200 is conformal coated.

I've run both in my 1/10th scale, which gets a good deal of water inside on most runs, and have yet to have an RX fail do to water.

The words "water resistant" are there because they can't guarantee that they are 100% "water proof".

Frankly, I don't know why one would worry about it either way for an FE boat... if you keep the inside of your boat dry, it's not an issue, and if you are completely soaking the inside on every run, perhaps you have some other issues that may need to be dealt with before worrying about the RX?? ;)

The bottom line is that both the MR3000 and the MR200 are VERY water resistant, and I would run them right out of the box. Put a little dielectric grease on the exposed contacts to prevent corrosion and go run!!

martin
08-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I normally seal my boats 100% as i run on salt water but as with any new boat you find you may get a few drops of water in from various areas till you get the boat sorted & normally use 2 balloons on rx. Its just safer even if you have a fairly water tight boat having a water resistant rx over one thats not. The reason i ask about how water resistant an rx is & dunking the rx is when you have a Mini Sprint hit a concrete bank at wot around 60mph theirs not much on the boat thats not totalled so full of water. I feel theirs more of a chance of saving a reciever thats water resistant than a futaba rx thats not in this situation.

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
I normally seal my boats 100% as i run on salt water but as with any new boat you find you may get a few drops of water in from various areas till you get the boat sorted & normally use 2 balloons on rx. Its just safer even if you have a fairly water tight boat having a water resistant rx over one thats not. The reason i ask about how water resistant an rx is & dunking the rx is when you have a Mini Sprint hit a concrete bank at wot around 60mph theirs not much on the boat thats not totalled so full of water. I feel theirs more of a chance of saving a reciever thats water resistant than a futaba rx thats not in this situation.

You will have no problem with the MR-series of RXs then... :thumbup1:

martin
08-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Darin can you bind multiple rx in to one tx & then simply swap from one boat to another or does each rx have to be rebound in each time you use a different boat as that is what someone told me you need to do if the tx has only 1 memory facility as in the case of the DX5E tx. Martin.

millzee
08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Att: Darin, I seem to be having a small issue with my mr3000 - DX3S, could you please take a look at the last page of this thread http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?26294-Mean-Machine-cheapy-nitro-conversion and let me know what I should try. All my other boats and trucks run spektrum and this Mean Machine is the only one I've ever had trouble with.
Thanks