PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish 120 one fet 200 to 245f

lenny
08-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi all,:thumbup:
Does any body know how to fix a esc or where to have one fixed ?:help:
It got wet, but it still works,
But does not beep any more.:noidea:
Running on 2s for 3 min,s one fet, I think thats what it is, gets hot 200 to 245F.:scared:

In pics from right to left side, #1 #2 (#3 in center ) is it ! Three c106 are above them in pic,s
What i can see on all three are these numbers,
F B Z
V9492C3 ( pic,t 1) ( pic,t 2 )

Thanks for any info.

drwayne
08-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Ahah... but was this component becoming as hot before it was drowned ?

No beeps suggests 1 or more of 3 motor wires has high resistance.
One fet overheating suggests same... power draw much higher.

Id also check resistance across all 3 wires of the motor.. a wet esc suggests a wet motor.. perhaps that's the fault
check a-b b-c a-c , should all be same within 1%

Wash the whole esc in a tub of methylated spirits ( pure/neat alcohol ) and then blow away excess with air compressor.... dry in a warm room for 2-3 hrs .. it may have a residue build up somewhere that is causing conduction between tracks .

Ditto check all motor/esc plugs..

W

Jacked1
08-16-2011, 09:31 PM
I have been thinking about this on and if it is only one fet that is getting hot and it is on the controller side of the board it might be the BEC fet. Try not connecting the red wire to the esc and seing if it sill gets hot. You could have a short for power to ground in your servo or reciever too. I would do everything Dr.Wayne said as well.
I know my Aquastars don't beep untill you turn on the radio so that might explain that too. It could also be part of the gate controller.

7500RPM
08-17-2011, 12:16 AM
From looking at the board and since is on the micro controller card side, I do not think it is a FET. Can't tell as you need to clean the tops of the three chips better so I can see the part number. Usually these should be FET Driver IC's if designed correctly. If one is getting hot, it could be the driver IC, or a bad or damaged FET on the output card, which would cause the driver chip to run hot, and no beeps, Without actually having the unit on hand and to scope a few points to prove it out.

One other thing you can try is a different motor, I had the same thing happen to me once, I had a shorted winding in an Ammo 2300kv motor and it heated one spot on the card, I to thought it was a ESC, until I tryed a different motor, and the problem was solved!

lenny
08-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Wayne, Thanks for info.:tiphat:
Was it hot before it got wet ? Not shore, :unsure:
I saw a hole in the shrink wrap when checking my temps.:huh:
I did what you said, All checked out ok and cleaned.
Still no beeps and still get hot as soon as i plug in lipo,
It starts to go up.:flammes-09:
I tried a different motor too and rx.
Took red wire out of the loop too and took servo out,
Still gets hot.:noidea:

:popcorn2:

Jacked1
08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
That is probably a gate driver then, especially if there are 3 of them. Can you see what is says?

drwayne
08-17-2011, 08:37 PM
That is probably a gate driver then, especially if there are 3 of them. Can you see what is says?

The OP has not identified what component has the heating .. 'there's three' .. but there are a few triples there.
edit one pic and repost so the heating element id is clear.
cap ?.. fs4228 ?... res .. ?

Thx
W

lenny
08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok back to top edited what i could see on it.

lenny
08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Well so far its still working in the boat :tongue_smilie:and no :flashfire:yet.
The one fet still gets hot :flammes-09: to 245f, But the rest of esc stays normal 90f to 110f.:smile:
It still does not beep tho, :noidea: But lv works.:smile:

Thanks or any input.