PDA

View Full Version : Type of hull best for Castle 1717 1580kv?

midnightsabotage
08-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Hello, I'm hoping to pick up a Castle 1717 1580kv motor If I can get the money before they're out of stock again... but before I do, I want to be sure I'll be able to use it in something.

Boat-wise, what size and type of hull would be best to drop this motor in? Would it be overkill in a bad way for anything close to 30"? I'd possibly want to save it for a hydro build in the future of that size, but am still very new to marine RC setups and could really use a bit of direction here.

I know I could always run it on less cells or prop it up/down to get it to work in many applications, but I suppose I'd most like to run it in an ideal setup well matched with the hull and components.

With the motor's max rating of 120amps, would I be fine with a Seaking/Turnigy T-180 speed control to power it on no more than 6s?

Also, who/where sells an appropriate motor mount for this beast?

Thank you for any and all help!
-Jeff

ray schrauwen
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
You can run this motor on 4S to 6S with good speeds. That said most people put these in boats that run on 6S, like a 37" MONO DF Pirate is nice and boats like a Phil Thomas sport 40 or a 40 size whiplash hydroplane.

Then again some people are using these in 30" Cats like the Aeromarine Mean machine.

Please do a search for "1717 setup" or 1717 alone and you will find some very good threads on what people are running a 1717 in.

Search engine is your buddy!!!!

midnightsabotage
08-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Oh, I certainly did a search and found lots of info, but still wasn't sure if the motor would be absolutely overkill for my ideas or not. Or what type of hull would be best for that size/kv of a powerplant.

No matter, Castle sold out of their limited quantity before I could snag one.

Thanks though!