PDA

View Full Version : Post run battery voltage difference

Mtwinste
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Well I've probably run this boat 20 times or so and it seems to be taking one battery below 3V and leaving the other around 3.4V. Sometimes the balance is closer. But most times it's a difference. Especially if I let the ESC cut me off. I've been running Gens Ace 6600mah 2S 65C and Orion 5000mah 45C. Two of the same battery each time of course.

Is this due to a difference in soldering techniques from each connector or is it normal or what? Tonight I ran my Gens Ace and one read 2.9V!!!!! And the other 3.4. The low didn't puff but dang it must be close!

The setup is totally stock.

Fluid
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
This is usually caused by poor quality control from the manufacturer, but it could be caused by poor balancing technique. It is NOT normal with quality packs! I have never seen this in any of my packs, and I have owned dozens over the past five years. None of them were cheap Chinese packs however.

Mtwinste
08-10-2011, 07:29 AM
I correct myself. Orion and Thunder Power not Gens Ace. I balance charge every charge with a HiTec Dual charger and charge at the mah rating in Amps.

Mtwinste
08-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Oh and I'm running in series of course.

Steven Vaccaro
08-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Well I've probably run this boat 20 times or so and it seems to be taking one battery below 3V and leaving the other around 3.4V. Sometimes the balance is closer. But most times it's a difference. Especially if I let the ESC cut me off. I've been running Gens Ace 6600mah 2S 65C and Orion 5000mah 45C. Two of the same battery each time of course.

Is this due to a difference in soldering techniques from each connector or is it normal or what? Tonight I ran my Gens Ace and one read 2.9V!!!!! And the other 3.4. The low didn't puff but dang it must be close!

The setup is totally stock.

The solder joint shouldn't cause that kind of issue. The way the esc is wired for two packs shouldn't cause the problem either.
Did you buy the packs at the same time and Did you always run your packs together as pairs?

Mtwinste
08-10-2011, 07:39 AM
I haven't "always" run as pairs :) :). I took one run with two 4S! And one run with one 3S and one 2S. Dumb dumb I know but I was "experimenting".