PDA

View Full Version : Sealing the stuffing tube - this works great

properchopper
08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
This works so good I have to pass it along [ plus IIRC I stole the idea for the inside seal from Mr. Fluid]

CA an O-ring around the inside pass-through & use five-minute JB Quick Weld - slop it in & it flows nicely into a good-looking seal. For the bottom, carefully masking-tape the outline, slop on the JB & peel off the tape before it sets.

Example is Allen's FE 30 being built by rcboatbuild@hotmail.com {shameless self-promotion - need a boat built? get in touch :smile:}

RandyatBBY
08-10-2011, 10:16 AM
This works so good I have to pass it along [ plus IIRC I stole the idea for the inside seal from Mr. Fluid]

CA an O-ring around the inside pass-through & use five-minute JB Quick Weld - slop it in & it flows nicely into a good-looking seal. For the bottom, carefully masking-tape the outline, slop on the JB & peel off the tape before it sets.

Example is Allen's FE 30 being built by rcboatbuild@hotmail.com {shameless self-promotion - need a boat built? get in touch :smile:}

I think Fine Design did it first. I like it a lot and do it with epoxy, nice look, good touch. One thing I do different is I hold the O ring till the glue is dry and do not use CA. This way I can remove the O ring and reuse it over and over.

Chilli
08-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I like to do the masking tape trick on both sides.

svtfrank
09-08-2011, 10:36 PM
none of you guys are using 3M 5200 adhesive sealant??? it dries kinda slow but........i've worked on real boats for a number of years and I've found nothing better!

properchopper
09-09-2011, 12:39 AM
none of you guys are using 3M 5200 adhesive sealant??? it dries kinda slow but........i've worked on real boats for a number of years and I've found nothing better!

As a 15 year liveaboard on a vintage wood boat, I'll agree that 5200 is the best stuff for serious sealing. Full cure in one week, but does the tough jobs. The 5-min. JB is quick and easy and so far has been doing the trick on lots of my builds.

m4a1usr
09-09-2011, 01:01 AM
I think Fine Design did it first. I like it a lot and do it with epoxy, nice look, good touch. One thing I do different is I hold the O ring till the glue is dry and do not use CA. This way I can remove the O ring and reuse it over and over.

Gotta agree with you Randy. Signature for Chris's builds. Not that its bad in any manner or form. Just display's his logic. And alot of creative types expounded upon the process involved. And why not? Improve upon a decent concept. Very well thought out.

John

ron1950
09-09-2011, 09:45 PM
wonder if a old trojan would work lol