PDA

View Full Version : R.O.A.R. stock motors

Rex R
03-05-2008, 01:55 AM
so steven, are you thinking of carring the n1 brushless motor systems? I'll grant that the motors would appear to be somewhat wimpy(the novak 17.5t is rated at 130w(2200kv))...

Steven Vaccaro
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry Rex, i missed this one. From what I hear only certain manufacturer's motors and esc's will be legal for roar.

Rex R
03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
that is how I understand it also. atm there is only one company w/ approved (conditionally) motors. *opinion* I suspect this may be the case for some time. that co. is asking $80 just for the motors

Darin Jordan
03-06-2008, 10:53 PM
that is how I understand it also. atm there is only one company w/ approved (conditionally) motors. *opinion* I suspect this may be the case for some time. that co. is asking $80 just for the motors

According to the ROAR approval list... they are ALL "conditionally approved" until 5/31/08... that includes the first, which is the Novak...

The cost of the motors takes this out of a "beginners" class in my opinion, but will level the playing field quite a bit, as there is definately a difference in prep of stock 27T motors... and I used 3 different motors for the 3 heats of last years Nationals to try to win... so at about $45.00 a pop for race-prepped 27T motors... the brushless is actually a bargin...

Until some are actually available, however... it's all kind of moot... And besides... That's a LOT of money to spend on motors for a LITTLE boat that'll only do 30mph... Most would get really bored... An SV27 or BlackJack makes more sense...

SJFE
03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Darin are you suggestiong using the SV27 & BJ26 as N1 boats or just the their powersystems as a spec?

Darin Jordan
03-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Darin are you suggestiong using the SV27 & BJ26 as N1 boats or just the their powersystems as a spec?

Neither... I'm suggesting that "Spec SV27" or a similiar class makes a better starting platform than N1-Mono does... Less finicky... More success out of the box... Setting up a "competitive" N1 boat isn't trivial... Not hard to put on together, and they are cheap... but making them relatively fast takes a little more tuning... and there is a big gap between those who know how to and those who don't...

With the Spec SV27 or some type of BL RTR class... Basic setup skills will put you right in the hunt... then you can concentrate on driving...

Just my opionion, of course... ;)

txboatpilot
03-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Neither... I'm suggesting that "Spec SV27" or a similiar class makes a better starting platform than N1-Mono does... Less finicky... More success out of the box... Setting up a "competitive" N1 boat isn't trivial... Not hard to put on together, and they are cheap... but making them relatively fast takes a little more tuning... and there is a big gap between those who know how to and those who don't...

With the Spec SV27 or some type of BL RTR class... Basic setup skills will put you right in the hunt... then you can concentrate on driving...

Just my opionion, of course... ;)

:iagree: Your are right on the money Darin! I think along the same lines, anyone can pick up a SV27, Grim props only (unmodded), couple lipos and they do some simple mods.. It would make some great racing!! Like you say, instead of concentrating on set-ups, concern your self with DRIVING!! Then when you move up to bigger fast boats, you will have a good handle on driving and racing in general..

I think this would help get more people into our sport aslo!!! :banana:

I have ran this by Don Shuhart, who sets up the Carrolton Classic, in May here in Dallas/Ft Worth.... He likes the idea too... Hopefully that class can be worked out before May's race...

I have a bone stock SV27, and I would love to race it in May...