PDA

View Full Version : Impulse 31 OR Traxxas Spartan

GOGEICOGO
08-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Which boat should i go with? I no the spartan has been a nightmare for a lot of people. But it sounds like the new Castle set up has been treating people pretty well. The 31 looks like an awesome boat to. Im worried that its not going to be quick enough for me on 2-2s lipo. And i don't plan on doing many mods other than a prop. help me out guys! impulse owners and spartan owners your input would be very much appreciated along with everyone else. Thanks.

Make-a-Wake
08-08-2011, 12:50 AM
You want a plastic or fiberglass hull...........?.............your choice

Steven Vaccaro
08-08-2011, 06:29 AM
You want a plastic or fiberglass hull...........?.............your choice

Ha, its a pretty simple choice. Isnt it.

slowride
08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I have been a member of the Spartan nightmare club, so when I received my updated Castle goodies I stripped the Spartan and put the new motor and ESC and all the hardware into an old Seaducer and now I am having fun instead of nightmares.....:beerchug:

Brushless55
08-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I have been a member of the Spartan nightmare club, so when I received my updated Castle goodies I stripped the Spartan and put the new motor and ESC and all the hardware into an old Seaducer and now I am having fun instead of nightmares.....:beerchug:

great choice!!

I had a spartan and sold that sucker, and I've had one of these Impules boats in my hand
I've said it before and will say it again, the Impulse is the best RTR boat out right now IMO
just the feel of it in my hands says quality that blows away the cheap feel of the spartan....

Rumdog
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Race inspired model boat, or a junky toy?

GOGEICOGO
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all your input guys! I guess ill head down to my LHS and pick up the impulse 31.

Brushless55
08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all your input guys! I guess ill head down to my LHS and pick up the impulse 31.

:rockon2:

rinski73
08-09-2011, 08:21 AM
well here is a "junky toy" busting 67mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLxf7BKcwyc

Steven Vaccaro
08-09-2011, 08:35 AM

RTR to RTR, the Impulse or Pursuit are heads and tails over the Spartan.
But you did a nice job with that Spartan. To bad Traxxas didnt build one that went that nice. ;-)

rinski73
08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
And i will agree fiberglass fe boats are built better than a composite but they are far from a "junky toy" toys dont run that fast i have been trying to find me a good deal on a impulse 31 for my next project

siberianhusky
08-09-2011, 09:37 AM
I tried using a GPS for an enduro once LOL! Stock odometer and a pair of stop watches were far more accurate!
That is really moving out though! I'd like to see times over a measured distance.

sailr
08-09-2011, 09:47 AM
DEFINITELY the Impulse is the better choice in my opinion.

Steven Vaccaro
08-09-2011, 10:56 AM
And i will agree fiberglass fe boats are built better than a composite but they are far from a "junky toy" toys dont run that fast i have been trying to find me a good deal on a impulse 31 for my next project

The hill they are climbing is that AS ORIGINALLY RELEASED, they are "junky toys". There isnt much to support otherwise.

What the second release brings is to be determined.

driftah
08-09-2011, 12:04 PM
that plus you can make radio shack boats fast if you mod them enough...comes down to skill and engineering look at riggers there is nothing to them but theyre fast somehow

Brushless55
08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
RTR to RTR, the Impulse or Pursuit are heads and tails over the Spartan.

Bingo!
as anyone can overpower a toy
and once again this thread is about RTR..
slip in a big motor into the Impulse even on 4s not 6s and you have a kick ass race boat, and not a toy

rinski73
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Dang guys i just wanted to show a video didnt mean to upset everyone i know fiberglass boats are better that is not the question thought the video might be liked by a few of the forum members guess i was wrong:confused2:

Doby
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I liked the video.

Brushless55
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Dang guys i just wanted to show a video didnt mean to upset everyone i know fiberglass boats are better that is not the question thought the video might be liked by a few of the forum members guess i was wrong:confused2:

Video was good.. and no one is upset except maybe traxxas for all the replacements they had to hand out :lol:
and it's more than plastic vs fiberglass
even the hardware between the two is a huge difference in quality and performance.. :thumbup1:

rinski73
08-09-2011, 12:40 PM
And i agree with you brushless that is why all my hardware has been changed with parts proudly from ose all xcept for drive strutand im working on that myself building a sealed unit with bearings

LiPo Power
08-09-2011, 01:21 PM
BDW, what are the specs on it now? ( bats, motor, esc, prop... )
Thanks
Robert

And i agree with you brushless that is why all my hardware has been changed with parts proudly from ose all xcept for drive strutand im working on that myself building a sealed unit with bearings

JPriami
08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I can't find the video on my iPhone to watch. But I'll check it out when I'm home from work.

I'm guessing Rinski bought into the traxxas marketing hype as I did. Then with the disgust of buying a false hope he decided to make it better, rather than let it beat him.

67+mph sounds impressive. But we all know what will happen to plastic in a water crash at that speed.

Now that you beat the Spartan what will you start on next Rinski?

Rumdog
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
So you agree then, it's a junky toy. You replaced all the parts and you still have a plastic hull that will implode in any kind of wipeout at that speed.

Also, you may wanna tape the hatch :)

Steven Vaccaro
08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
So you agree then, it's a junky toy. You replaced all the parts and you still have a plastic hull that will implode in any kind of wipeout at that speed.

Also, you may wanna tape the hatch :)

I wouldn't be sure fiberglass hulls will last to many crashes at 67mph.

But the spartans have hulls have failed at much lower speeds.

I'm not upset with the video, my disdain is towards traxxas for putting this boat out in the first place with wild claims.

Brushless55
08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't be sure fiberglass hulls will last to many crashes at 67mph.

But the spartans have hulls have failed at much lower speeds.

I'm not upset with the video, my disdain is towards traxxas for putting this boat out in the first place with wild claims.

I think the biggest bur under my skin was how traxxas would name blame as in customer blaming for their boats failing
like the motor and esc going up in smoke and blaming the user for not greasing the shaft :doh:
and now the fact is they have put in a whole new motor and esc!
hello traxxas you messed up and along the way blamed others for your screw up :nono:

driftah
08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
that is what traxxas does best they have many failures but marketing keeps newbs in and the real racers out,fyi when has a traxxas vehicle ever won anything major other than a slash lol...and a modded one at that..you get what u pay for period.spartan is a cash cow for newbies and they will fix it along the way mmmmmaybe.I am a victim of the 4x4 slash and threw it in the garbage...money pit fixing their issues on the truck...prolly same on any boat they come out with its all about bottom line with them,profit lol

rinski73
08-09-2011, 03:47 PM
bdw, what are the specs on it now? ( bats, motor, esc, prop... )
thanks
robert seaking 180 castle 1515 prather 220 TURNIGY 5000MAH 35C

rinski73
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
so you agree then, it's a junky toy. You replaced all the parts and you still have a plastic hull that will implode in any kind of wipeout at that speed. and no i don't think it is junk but its not the best either its a bad boat that i made good do u think this is my first rodeo no its not i have made these mods because i wanted to do something with a boat that people said couldn't be done but have no fear thats not the only boat i have and all will see with time i have been doin this for 28 yrs i know the difference between good and not the best but by far its not junk

Make-a-Wake
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
rinski73...........nothing "wrong" at all with you modding a Traxxas hull...........i have two brushless Villains and think they are a blast, plus as you know, its a personal effort/challenge that makes it rewarding when you've really upped performance on a boat. BTW try to get the nose down just a hair.............

I'm not a Spartan fan and dont/wont own one, but its cool to see one go like that............its all about what makes you happy.:Peace_Sign:

LarrysDrifter
08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
rinski73...........nothing "wrong" at all with you modding a Traxxas hull...........i have two brushless Villains and think they are a blast, plus as you know, its a personal effort/challenge that makes it rewarding when you've really upped performance on a boat. BTW try to get the nose down just a hair.............

I'm not a Spartan fan and dont/wont own one, but its cool to see one go like that............its all about what makes you happy.:Peace_Sign:

Well said. I completely agree. I went through the same thing with my old EKOS.

Rumdog
08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
This thread doesnt have anything to do with what your modded boat does. He wanted to know what RTR was a better value. As everyone seems to agree, it is the Proboat ( by a longshot).

Make-a-Wake
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
This thread doesnt have anything to do with what your modded boat does. He wanted to know what RTR was a better value. As everyone seems to agree, it is the Proboat ( by a longshot).

He never said RTR in his opening post, but i do agree the spirit of his thread was RTR as he said he wasnt modding it other than prop. Thats why in post #2 i shared my stance based on not modding.............i would own the fiberglass Impulse, no Spartan will occupy my Marina.

lenny
08-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Looks like it runs nice.:thumbup:
I was going to get one,
Till i saw the problems they were having.:glare:
Now instead looking at modding a 36" shockwave to brushless soon.:unsure:

JPriami
08-09-2011, 10:27 PM
If it's like a nitro shockwave 36? and you want to make it a fast brushless? I wouldn't. My dads nitro shockwave 36 gets crazy unstable at WOT.

lenny
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes nitro 36" shockwave, thanks for info and at what speeds gets crazy ?

JPriami
08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Gets unstable around high 30's low 40's. It's a stock nitro one. But has a custom prop. If you bend the trim tabs down it acts better at wot but it's just going slower as the trade off.

chummer
08-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Ha ha ha...That's great!:laugh: A 67Mph Spartan with a healthy run time. That thing is rippin'. Great Job rinski. What voltage are you pounding into that C/C 1515? It's screamin' that's for sure.

Make-a-Wake
08-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Ha ha ha...That's great!:laugh: A 67Mph Spartan with a healthy run time. That thing is rippin'. Great Job rinski. What voltage are you pounding into that C/C 1515? It's screamin' that's for sure.

The speedo gave 6 beeps.............seems like he's crammin' 6s into it:buttrock:

Brushless55
08-10-2011, 12:36 AM
The speedo gave 6 beeps.............seems like he's crammin' 6s into it:buttrock:

Yeah, I think its 2200kv on 6s.....

Brushless55
08-10-2011, 01:00 AM
how about Darin's P-Mono Impulse
that's 4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Pn-9sO6ZA&feature=player_embedded

maxmekker
08-10-2011, 06:29 AM
What a sweet spot to runs boat's you have Rinski.

rinski73
08-10-2011, 10:37 AM
thanks guys it is running on 6s with 2200kv 1515 castle and it is the perfect place to run:thumbup:

Rumdog
08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Not for long! That setup is pulling huge amps!!

rinski73
08-10-2011, 11:37 AM
its been like that for 6 months getting run on average 10 times a week and not one proplem:tt2:

Rumdog
08-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I knew you'd say something like that. 240 runs huh? I doesn't take a genius to see that that setup is disastrous. A 1515 1y on even just 4s is really pushing it in a 37" mono.

With all your claimed experience you should know that though.

Reason I'm keyboard battling is because if other guys running this rtr see this they will try the same thing. And it is NOT a good idea.

rinski73
08-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I knew you'd say something like that. 240 runs huh? I doesn't take a genius to see that that setup is disastrous. A 1515 1y on even just 4s is really pushing it in a 37" mono.

With all your claimed experience you should know that though.

Reason I'm keyboard battling is because if other guys running this rtr see this they will try the same thing. And it is NOT a good idea.
ok i just knew that you that you was gonna bash me again im sorry i crushed your ego by running that fast but how would you know anything about what this boat will or wont do since your holyness is to good to have one this setup works just fine so since you know everything jump on ur little moped rush home and rub your crystal ball and see what im doin right now and you will see that its not worrying about my setup everyone on this forum has been good with this but you are bn an ass:sarcasm1:

Rumdog
08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Hey, bud. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here.
It's just a FACT that what you are doing is a recipe for disaster. I don't need to prove anything here. Many more experienced guys than myself will agree with what I am saying.

I knew where this was going as soon as you said that you had to prove people wrong with your setup.

Steven Vaccaro
08-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Then number of people that have tried and failed with 6s and the castle 2200 motor have greatly out numbered the successful. But thats only coming from the guy that sells the esc's, what do I know. :-)

rinski73
08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
ok look rum i am neither wanting to get into any kind of match with anyone but how do you figure that this motor is not good for this setup castle built this motor for 6s and i will give you credit your collection is very sweet and im sure your knowledge is equal but you have bashed me ever since this video was posted regardless of what people have me or anyone has we should all be just as welcome in the hobby world and i know this is a plastic hull boat but its still sweet that it does run this well and i do get what you are saying but bashing me for buying one i didnt think was kool i mean how would you like it just because you dont like something "spartan" does that give you the right to bash someone because they do and to end i will apologize to you for the prior post but come on rum dont down people P.S. IST NOT THE ONLY BOAT I HAVE ALL MY OTHERS ARE FIBERGLASS CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG

Rumdog
08-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Never wanted to bash you. I will openly bash the Spartan however.

The CC/Neu 1515 was intended for up to 6s use in land vehicles. Boats is a totally different story. Boats pull a LOT more amps. Your unloaded rpm is in SAW territory. Which is a few WOT straight line rips, and bring it in. Read Steve's post above.

rinski73
08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
SWEET VIDS BROTHER I LIKE THE DEDICATED SNOW RUNS:thumbup:

Rumdog
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Thank you! I applaud your sticking with the Spartan and making it rip as well.

rinski73
08-10-2011, 02:09 PM
HERE IS A BIGGER TOY RUM AND ITS FIBERGLASS LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaLEH4id8FA

rinski73
08-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Then number of people that have tried and failed with 6s and the castle 2200 motor have greatly out numbered the successful. But thats only coming from the guy that sells the esc's, what do I know. :-)
and if people would not run the timing at 15 degrees they would not have the problem that is why the timing on mine is at 3degrees and i don't have issues my temps stay low along with amp draw:rockon2:

Rumdog
08-10-2011, 06:11 PM
The 1515 is a y wind motor. It runs most efficiently (no matter the voltage) at 15 degrees. D wind motors run best at 0-10 degrees. The big problem is that a 2200 kv motor at that voltage pulls big amps with direct drive and a prop in the water. Big spikes occur during cavitation, and when the prop leaves an re enters the water ie, waves, wake crossing and turning. The esc is the first thing that will take a dump, not being able to handle the amp spikes.

Brushless55
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
how about Darin's P-Mono Impulse
that's 4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Pn-9sO6ZA&feature=player_embedded

reposting this as this is Darins racer on 4s!
I have yet to see any Spart do this ....