PDA

View Full Version : Proboat Impulse 4s2p or 5s2p Gens Ace Configuration??

rwhitfield
08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Does anybody see an issue with running either of these battery configurations in a Proboat Impulse 31?

I was specifically questioning a 5000mah 40C rating on the Gens Ace ROAR sealed batteries, vs stepping up to a 5s2p 5300mah 30C configuration out of the gates to just spend battery money once. Is it a fairly factual statement that the motor and ESC configuration in the Impulse 31 can hang with a 5s 18V setup... or is it really just tempting fate to burn things out? I am not a racer, but I would like to see the boat take advantage of all it can, and I intend to play with some various props too.

Will the 5s2p config actually FIT in the Impulse 31 too? The 4s2P config looks like it would have room.

Here is what I am considering:

Any opinions are welcome. This is a GREAT forum, and I just joined today. I was an avid car racer in my youth, and now live where I have a good calm lake close by. The RC bug bites yet again! :thumbup1:

Rick W

v-spec
08-07-2011, 07:14 PM
The 4s 5300 30c's just fit in the hull without the plexiglass cover installed. You could lay the 5s on their side and run 5s2p but you really don't need a 2p setup if your using the stock motor. I'd pick up the 30c's and not waste my time with the 40c hard cases as they are 6mm taller and probably won't fit well. The 30c's are already a tight fit.

Here's mine, they fit better laying on their side but I posted a pic both ways. A single 2s and a 3s 5300 30c would fit well.

57346 57347

rwhitfield
08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
V-Spec-

Thanks for those clarifications! Interesting.... and the pics help tell me that the battery / hull area is not quite as big as I had envisioned based on the specs (my Impulse 31 is showing up in a few days so I have not seen it first hand yet). Is the pic you posted a pair of the Ace Gens 2s 5300 C30's done in series... or is that a 5s battery I am seeing?

I was leaning to the 2P config to simply allow for longer run times. Have you run the boat with stock componets in a 5s set up without problems?? Given I would have to build a parallel wire harness for my other ideas, I was even starting to consider simply picking up two sets of 2s packs and have all 4 packs charged up when I go out to give me two full runs -- with some cooling down time in between.

Thanks for the help!
RW

v-spec
08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
In my pics i have 2 4s1p 5300mah 30c packs for 4s2p 10600mah. I've not run the stock motor on 5s because all my boats are 4s boat setups. The gens ace packs are taller than your average 4s packs but they are narrower and shorter.

stevessti
09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
how did you get the bolt out???? I want to do the same but I dont want to break the wood

Diesel6401
09-22-2011, 10:22 PM
"Note, operating outside the manufactors recommened guidelines is a risk"

Now thats out of the way down to biz. 5s2p (like mentioned) is def not needed on stock power and is overkill and un-needed weight. 10 cells is a lot. If you plan on running on 5s I would dis-able the bec first and foremost and run a rx pack, upgrade everything to 5.5mm bullets and dump the deans plugs (which you should do regardless of 5s or 4s) and run a smaller prop like a x440 you need to prop small to keep the amp load down and not risk blowing the stock esc, I would suggest grabbing a 2s and 3s pack same mah, c rating and brand and running them in series for 5s1p.
Just my 2 pennies...

Here's stats on that motor in a MG, being your in a larger mono your gonna run higher amps naturally http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?21619-MG-Eagletree-data&p=279461#post279461