PDA

View Full Version : For you RC airplane guys.. when your done running boats.

Chilli
08-04-2011, 11:55 PM
New EP Amphib from Parkzone coming out.

I'm going to have to get one of these!!

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ5875

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elWEO3e6rno

The Phoenix Simulator already has this plane in it's latest update.

midnightsabotage
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Very cool that Parkzone is coming out with a model like this! I still have yet to maiden my PBY Catalina seaplane, this might be a good investment to practice water takeoffs/landings before I put the Catalina in the water/air!

Should definitely be a fun one... but why in the world are they releasing it in October? I never quite understand manufacturers and their bad timing on some of these things. But oh well.

I suppose the lower parts of the US will still be able to have fun with it while we're frozen up here in MN.

Thanks for sharing!
-Jeff

Chilli
08-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm a newbie at planes and have been playing with the Phoenix simulator for seven months. I've also had a PZ T-28 sitting in the basement for five. The kids broke a few of the toggles on the TX playing with the sim and I've been dragging my feet getting a replacement. I finally purchased a DX5e last night. Hopefully first solo next week.:rockon2:

I hope Parkzone is better at staying on target with release dates than some of the boating manufacturers. LOL The plane does come with a removable gear plus you can probably practice landing her on the snow.

1truckerdan
08-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Here is another one that is 6s ready and has retractable landing gear.
http://ready2fly.com/shop/USER_ARTIKEL_HANDLING_AUFRUF.php
type " icon ar epo 6s" in the search.
Daniel

midnightsabotage
08-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Good luck on your maiden!

Phoenix is what I started on too. I certainly didn't put 7 months into it though, you should be much better prepared. I started with a supercub though. Hopefully the T-28 isn't too much for you. I hear it's a pretty easy plane though, a great 2nd plane for most pilots, so 7 months on the Phoenix should have you prepped pretty well. And remember, it's just foam - You'll eventually crash it & when you do don't take it too hard.

Flying was a bit stressful for me at the beginning because I treated my planes like they were priceless. Well, after you crash that new plane the first time and are devastated, you epoxy the foam back together and have 5x the fun afterwards when not getting hung up about crashing. You also learn more when you're not fretting about only not crashing.

Now that's not to say I don't have 5 planes hanging in my apartment that I won't put in the air until I improve my skills.... Balsa is a little more time consuming to fix! I just take the foamies out still - I need to fly lots more before I'll let myself take out those nicer models.
I've been flying now for almost a year, but I don't get out too often. So I kinda lose that confidence in between outings.
I start each flying day with a couple foamies no matter what to build that confidence back up. I still crash something most times I go out flying, and prefer it to be a foamie in the beginning :)

As for parkzone's release dates... They're Horizon Hobby, so I would expect they've got a good share of delays. I don't think I've anxiously awaited any new releases from Parkzone since I started flying, so I can't say. Their planes are just too expensive for me to buy new. I'm going to crash em, I can't pay full price! :rofl:
We have a huge rc auction (that is 90% planes) here in MN once a year and then 2 giant swap meets for air rc too that I know of, and you can get airframes or full RTR planes dirt cheap. So I try to hold out for those to fill my hanger. Used planes just aren't worth much, even if they're in mint condition.

jstolz
08-18-2011, 08:05 PM
New EP Amphib from Parkzone coming out.

I'm going to have to get one of these!!

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ5875

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elWEO3e6rno

The Phoenix Simulator already has this plane in it's latest update.

I have been flying planes a lot longer than playing with model boats. Float planes are the coolist thing. I was just giving a built up balse plane with everthing in it. I can't wait to fly it. I have contemplated using my float plane as my rescue boat. It the best of both worlds. I love the water and I love float planes.

Chilli
08-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Let see some pic's guys!!

Chilli
08-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Let see some pic's guys!!

Daniel, that 6S Icon is SWEEET!!!

1truckerdan
08-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Retractable landing gear too!
Daniel

Chilli
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Well, I got a new Dx5e yesterday and decided to take the T-28 up for my first flight. The end result was fifteen minutes of flying on two battery packs with seven take off's and landings and NO CRASHES!!:buttrock: I was not the smoothist on the stick, but I did manage some loops, barrel roles and even flew a little upside down. I was also realy surprised how well my landings were. Something I practiced allot on the sim. I'd say the Phoenix flight simulator prepared me very well. The handleing characterisitics of the plane were pretty close, but the real beauty of the flight sim is when the plane gets in bad attitude, you do not have to think about what your hands have to do, it's second nature. The standard sized Parkzone T-28 is a great little plane. She handles great and has no bad habits that I observed. I think I would have gotten bored real fast flying a 3 channel high wing trainer.

midnightsabotage
08-24-2011, 12:51 AM
That's great! Congrats :)

Were you flying on low rates?

The supercub I first flew with already had ailerons installed, so it didn't get boring too quick. First flight I actually found out the motor mount was broken and had to emergency land it. Managed it well though, so the sim time must have paid off.

A 3-channel plane could get boring quick though. I actually wish I still had my 4 channel supercub because it was always a lot of fun to fly, even after all sorts of other planes.

Again, good job & happy flying!
-Jeff

Chilli
08-24-2011, 08:22 AM
I started out on low rate but the plane was out a bit out of trim so I switched to high. I did a couple of circuits to get comfortable with her and then trimmed her out. I was comfortable with her on high so I kept it there. (plus I wanted the plane to respond quickly when I got her out of shape). Batteries are charged and I'm ready for more practice when I get off work.

Thanks for the encouragement.

midnightsabotage
08-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Good deal! Hope your 2nd outing was just as successful as the first :)

1truckerdan
08-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Hey here is one from HobbyKing for less than $90
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17108
Daniel

midnightsabotage
08-25-2011, 03:41 AM
Hey here is one from HobbyKing for less than $90
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17108
Daniel

That one is cheaper at $85 for platinum members, but even at that price it's still going to be $30 more for shipping that will take 3+ weeks. Or $37 for shipping that will take more like 6 or 7 business days. When you add the lack of customer service and possible shipping damage from that far away, it loses most of it's value to me.

And that's not even taking into account whether or not it'll be as nice of a flier than the PZ one. Also, the PZ one is Z-foam whereas the HK one is most likely just EPS foam.
BUT, even with the $37 shipping you're still getting a fun plane in a week or so that will cost you $122+. So I can't by any means say don't buy it if someone wants an Icon plane before October.
Heck, buy it and report back to me on how well it handles and if that landing gear is as useless as most of the reviewers say it is :)

I'd certainly take it out and have fun flying the crap out of it if it were given to me :tongue:
I'd just prefer to have the PZ one in October if I was putting money into one or the other.

Cheers!
-Jeff

1truckerdan
08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I was just putting out there what I found so others people have another (cheaper:noidea:)option...
Daniel

bardahlracing
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I gotta concur that float flying is the best, nothing like my 1/4 scale cub taxiing across the lake and majestically lifting off and then skimming acrossed it for a beautiful greased landing nothing like it !

Chilli
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Thats cool. I do like the parts availability from Parkzone. I have two hobby shops that are not too far (just under an hour) that sell parts for the most popular PZ's.

We'll I had my second day flying with a little breeze yestersday. On the first flight I did okay but was a little squirrely in the wind. I did a nice landing in the the breeze. On the second flight, I got a little too fancy for my own good. Did a double barrel roll with not enough elevator correction and ran out of sky. She hit the ground pretty good but with minimal damage to the wing mounts. I was very impressed. If it was a balsa model, it would of been distroyed. A little Gorilla Glue and I'll be back in business. I just orderd a few spare parts from ebay to keep in the tool box. (motor mount, landing gear mount, ect) PZ makes a Great Plane!! Now to keep practicing and wait for the Icon to come out.