PDA

View Full Version : Motor question

kendt
08-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I am looking at motors for my wildthing (32") I was wondering is a 5692 motor is too big. I realize it has way more power but if it was run at a lower voltage would it be ok. The reason im asking is because I would like to upgrade to a bigger boat down the road and I likely will only be able to have one at a time due to the cost of all the related items needed.

znus
08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Well, you said it yourself. The 5692 is a GIANT in a 32" hull and is way too big but easy, real easy, on the throttle finger and handle with care and it'll work. Might not be the easiest or most fun boat to drive and it might get wierd choosing a good prop for that GIANT in a 32" hull. With 5500 watts (that's over 7 hp) it'll literally rock n' roll one way or the other. Careful, is the word you gotta remember :-)

SJFE
08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
5692 as in 5692kv? Little rusty with all the new motors.

kendt
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I havent seen one physically so its hard to guess the actual size.likely the size of a pop can lol. I thought prop choice might be easier with all the extra power but im pretty limited in knowledge at this point

martin
08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
5692 is the dimensions of the motor 56mm diam + water cooler x 92mm long, These motors are big & need a large mount.

iamandrew
08-03-2011, 06:18 PM
its like 1KG of motor!

kendt
08-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Wow...Ya i doubt thats gonna work he he didnt realize they were that heavy, guess i'll go with the 4082 size. Thanks all!!

SJFE
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM

LarrysDrifter
08-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Similar in size to a soda can. Biggins for sure.

427srule
08-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I am looking at motors for my wildthing (32") I was wondering is a 5692 motor is too big. I realize it has way more power but if it was run at a lower voltage would it be ok. The reason im asking is because I would like to upgrade to a bigger boat down the road and I likely will only be able to have one at a time due to the cost of all the related items needed.

I am actually running a 5682 1670kv 4s1p set up with great success in a 33" Cyberstorm. The actual weight of the motor makes it super stable under race conditions. It never even gets hot. The only thing holding it back is the batteries. We have a 165 amp limit in our P-mono class. I have an extra one if you decide to try it, PM me.

Thanks,
Mike

kendt
08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Really thats cool. All that weight doesnt sink it...he he I actually did see a pic of one and they are huge, I'd love to see some pics of your setup.

427srule
08-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Really thats cool. All that weight doesnt sink it...he he I actually did see a pic of one and they are huge, I'd love to see some pics of your setup.

Here is a picture of the set up.

Thanks,
Mike

m4a1usr
08-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I am actually running a 5682 1670kv 4s1p set up with great success in a 33" Cyberstorm. The actual weight of the motor makes it super stable under race conditions. It never even gets hot. The only thing holding it back is the batteries. We have a 165 amp limit in our P-mono class. I have an extra one if you decide to try it, PM me.

Thanks,
Mike

Why would you use a 758 gram motor (Leopard 5682 at 26 ounces!) when a 462 gram motor (Neu 1521 at 16 ounces!) will out perform the Leopard in every respect. You get more speed, more run time, better handling and a decrease in wear and tear on your components. Less stress on your Speedo. Less stress on your batteries. You need more dead weight? Add some lead. Like thats difficult. Do you win any of your races? I'm not questioning your driving ability. (it does boil down to the last guy in control)But have you done a self analysis? (the idea is to win right?) Your justifying a winning situation with a less then winning setup? Just my 2 cents but I dont get it? And I hope I dont appear condemming. I am not. If it works for you then thats what is important. So please dont interprit this as criticism. I just having a hard time geeting on board when you have other options.

John

kendt
08-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Your questions are quite valid,I cant speak for Mike but for me the neu motors are just out of my price range. they are 100.00 dollars more then a 5692. For someone starting out from nothing that money could go a long way toward batteries etc.I am not planning on racing, but I also dont want a boat thats a nightmare to drive.It sounds like it can be done, and that motor would power a larger hull down the road when I can afford to move up...Am I over looking anything though? does the cost of an esc for a 5692 make it the same as spending the money for a neu and a smaller esc. These are the things Im trying to find out befor making a decission...
Thanks
Ken

427srule
08-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Why would you use a 758 gram motor (Leopard 5682 at 26 ounces!) when a 462 gram motor (Neu 1521 at 16 ounces!) will out perform the Leopard in every respect. You get more speed, more run time, better handling and a decrease in wear and tear on your components. Less stress on your Speedo. Less stress on your batteries. You need more dead weight? Add some lead. Like thats difficult. Do you win any of your races? I'm not questioning your driving ability. (it does boil down to the last guy in control)But have you done a self analysis? (the idea is to win right?) Your justifying a winning situation with a less then winning setup? Just my 2 cents but I dont get it? And I hope I dont appear condemming. I am not. If it works for you then thats what is important. So please dont interprit this as criticism. I just having a hard time geeting on board when you have other options.

John

John,

Your questions are valid and let's just say I am glad you asked. It comes down to this; I was asked to try the motor and see how it would work. I would have never even considered using this combo but, two first place overalls in two races proved trying something outside the norm can work. That's running against winning combinations. I have to race against Twaits, Pags and Costanza every race weekend. I won't win running the same combo they are. Hopefully you can understand that.
There is no stress on the motor or speed control with this combo. They come in cold every time. The maximum 165 amp rule is the only thing holding this combo back.
For tomorrow's race I put a 4082 2200 in. Yes, much lighter and also changes the handling of the boat. Why did I change what I had? All the questions you just asked go through my head every day wondering, can it go faster?
I know Neu makes a great motor, I run a 2230 in a cat that won S&T Offshore at the Nats. The challenge was making this combo run 4 minutes and still run fast. A challenge is what I need to keep me interested.
To Kendt's point, having the funds to support this hobby can be a big challenge. My decision to chime in on this was because I tried something and it worked.

Thank you,
Mike

Heath M
08-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks,
Mike

What size prop are you spinning with that motor?

427srule
08-06-2011, 08:54 PM
What size prop are you spinning with that motor?

Heath,

I am running a Prather 240. The Batteries are Hyperion 2s 35c 4200mah.

Thanks,
Mike

Heath M
08-06-2011, 11:09 PM
cool thanks Mike