PDA

View Full Version : Modded Impulse very first run!

v-spec
08-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Here's the very first run of my new Impulse with a Tacon 4074 2150kv motor and a Seaking 180 esc on 4s with a Grim 42x55 prop. Since it was the first run it still needs some adjustments and it's running pretty loose among other things. Hit some kelp at the end of the video and spun out. It's really windy and I can't get on it on the back straight.

All temps below 90 degrees on this run. I started small with the grim prop but I've got tons of other props to test once I start getting the boat dialed in. A couple runs later I stuffed it and it tore a bunch of paint off the cowl and cracked it. I knew I shoulda reinforced it! Got a new one on order.

57046 57047

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-2gZDZ0duY

tlandauer
08-03-2011, 04:09 AM
That looks great!
What made you decide on Tacon instead of Leopard? just curious. I see alot of motors from China looking very similar, always wondered if thet were just rebranded.

arp1500
08-03-2011, 06:43 AM
looks awesome man

v-spec
08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
That looks great!
What made you decide on Tacon instead of Leopard? just curious. I see alot of motors from China looking very similar, always wondered if thet were just rebranded.

$49 made me decide on the Tacon over the Leopard hehe! I also ordered a neu 1515 incase this one was no good. Seems to run nice and cool and fast though just like my Leopards.

Brushless55
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Very cool man, looks great!

d3lap
08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Sweet man, i might steal this combo when i finish my custom boat.. what are your speeds like 45-50ish mayybe?

v-spec
08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Sweet man, i might steal this combo when i finish my custom boat.. what are your speeds like 45-50ish maybe?

I'm not sure on speeds yet and honestly the boat is running really loose in the video and looks faster than it is, however I'm running a really conservative prop on it in the video and it should take much more. I expect speeds somewhere in the 50's when it's setup how I want it. It'll go faster if I loosen it up a bit. My pond is always really choppy so I need it to stay on the water. I can only hold full throttle for a few seconds here. I'll get it sorted out by the weekend I hope.

v-spec
08-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I got to run 4 packs on my boat today and I think I got the boat pretty dialed! I don't have a video but I'm going to try to get one tomorrow. It doesn't like the rough water from the first video at all but with the winds down some today and some cg strut and trim tab adjusting it's running great! Not too wet and not too loose either.

So far I have to stick with the 42x55 prop as everything bigger was causing me all kinds of handling issues. I tried an x445 m445 m545 cut down x447/3 and an m447 all with mostly the same results. I'd like to try an x642 and a x440/3 but honestly it's running great with the 42x55.

Not a single heat issue after a full 3 minute full throttle run. Esc caps 108 motor 111 and 4s pack 117. Also not a single drop of water in the boat anywhere nothing. I was a little disappointed with how is was running after the first pack today but it's running great now that it's setup decent and I couldn't be happier!

Rumdog
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I bet if you add a little weight at the CG it will settle her down a bit.

v-spec
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
It's running great right now, I moved the cg forward another inch raised the strut and added 1 degree negative at the rear and it's running real nice, stable and smooth.

dmwilson09
08-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Just ordered mine yesterday (after I sold my p.o.s. spartan), so i should get it in a few days. What speed do you think you are running with the 42X55

v-spec
08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Just ordered mine yesterday (after I sold my p.o.s. spartan), so i should get it in a few days. What speed do you think you are running with the 42X55

Awesome, this is a great boat! With my setup probably high 40's. I'm going to get a new video today where I can actually stay on the throttle since it's a little more dialed in.

arp1500
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
ok cool cant wait for the video

Darin Jordan
08-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Guys... just a word of advice... As ANY mono gets going faster, it climbs out of the water. The point at which it finally separates is the point where you start losing control. You HAVE to keep a portion of the hull in contact with the water if you want to hold speeds for any length of time. There is no IDEAL hull for all speeds... each hull has a speed-point at which it can't go any faster and still be in contact with the water. These aren't wide platforms with sponsons to stabilize them, they are narrow and have a razor's edge to run on.

As such, when you exceed the design speed of the hull, it's time to add some weight. Don't be shy... put it on the CG, down as low and as centered as you can, and go run...

On my Impulse 31, I added about 6oz of weight right in front of the motor in addition to the two 2S1P 5000 packs I had in there to run well in P-Limited Offshore. Drove and handled MUCH better than without, and it was faster, because I could actually stay in the throttle.

The boat was designed with this in mind, and you'll notice that there is room to actually get in under the battery trays. Make yourself some ballast from lead or ??? and play around with it. I think you'll be mildly shocked by the difference the weight will make.

v-spec
08-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I've got 4oz in mine right now, it was a little windy today with more chop so I stuck in some lead tire weights from my shop. I wasn't able to get my video today because my girlfriend wasn't able to get off work in time. I'll have some video soon though! The Impulse is running great though! I put 6 packs through it today without any problems whatsoever not even a drop of water in the hull.

Brushless55
08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Sweet!
this one looks like a Spartan killer :buttrock:

Rumdog
08-04-2011, 09:48 PM
The Spartan commited suicide..

Brushless55
08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
:lol:

ron1950
08-04-2011, 11:22 PM
anyone tryed 2 4 cell in par? might not need the lead with the added weight

v-spec
08-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Ok I got another run on video, still using the 42x55 prop but I messed with the cg some more and it got unstable. Mine seems to handle really well with the cg really far forward but I moved it back 3/4 inch and this was the result. I'm going to run it on 4s2p once I get a new flex collet for my .187 flex cable because I snapped the stock one today. That should give me the weight I'm looking for and I may be able to prop up and pickup some more speed. Anyways here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw1QGL9UQ0A

tlandauer
08-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Wow! That is fantastic, doesn't look loose to video viewers though, I will be real happy if anything I have that would run close to that.:thumbup:

Brushless55
08-06-2011, 03:47 AM
I like it man, lookd good!

v-spec
08-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Ok so I think I figured why the boat was getting unstable during the turns and crossing it's own wake and why it wasn't doing that the day before yesterday. I had a cold solder joint on one of the motor to esc wires and it was just bouncing around in the castle 6.5mm bullet.

You can hear the boat seem like it's cutting in and out while turning and I had thought that mostly to be the boat getting unsettled. I watched my videos this morning and thought about the bullets since I changed solders midway through because I ran out and sure enough the middle motor to esc wire pulled right out when I pulled on it and was being held in by the heat shrink.

Here is the video that got me thinking. (i puffed old faithful during this run too RIP Turnigy 35c 4s. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krhs0BaMMBc

tlandauer
08-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Goodwork!

arp1500
08-06-2011, 02:01 PM
awsome

v-spec
08-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Ok, looks like I'm back in business! My buddy Jim Marcum on the forum here machined my Jeff Wolt collet to 3/16 so I could run my .187 flex shaft that's replacing my snapped stock one and also silver soldered all my connections to be safe. (thanks Jim!) The big octura 5mm to 3/16th collets won't fit because of the way the motor mount is so I have to use a setscrew type similar to the stock proboat one.

I've got to find a place that has some 5.5 bullets in stock today so I can solder up some parallel connectors to run 4s2p, I've bought them all from my 3 local LHS's... Anyways after I get that done and shorten my .187 flex cable all I've gotta do is wait for the 200 sailboats to clear our pond and I'll be ready to break something else!

mcdragon2
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
looks good. I would say its over 50 as I have seen one run 46 ish and yours looks way faster. set up 2 markers a known distance apart and you can time it from the video as long as the camera stays still as the boat goes pat both

HELI-MD
09-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm new to fe boating spent lots of time with rc cars and trucks but this is my first boat. Its an awesome boat stock and had a blast with it. I just wanted more speed out of it so i put in a Leopard 4082 2200 kv with a 42x55 prop the thing screams and is a blast but I'm tweaking it and trying to get it to run right in the water. So im just
wondering where your C of G is at on yours and whats the easiest way to figure out where the C of G is. Thanks

Stephavee
09-24-2012, 06:06 PM
I smoked my stock esc on mine just pluging in the batteries. at first i thought i hooked them up wrong but no...everthing was right! so i put the seaking 180 and leopard 3674 1700kv motor and esc combo from my BJ26 in my impulse so i could still run it. I love that i can still do 35mph on 4s and still run 6s if the water is flat. the last time i ran it i snaped the flexcable at the solder joint and lost a S/B m445 prop! this bumed me out and ment i was done for the weekend. what can i do to make sure this dont happen again? or was this just a fluke thing?http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n536/DangerDad828/P9220128_zps272ef3ec.jpghttp://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n536/DangerDad828/2012-09-24113533_zpsb5ea0e40.jpg

tlandauer
09-24-2012, 06:43 PM
How long have you been using the coupler? May be a contributing factor, the set screws "bite" into the cable, collets "grab" the cable evenly.

Stephavee
09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
How long have you been using the coupler? May be a contributing factor, the set screws "bite" into the cable, collets "grab" the cable evenly.If that was for me. that is the stock coupler, the shaft at on the couple side is fine but a the solde joint by the strut came loose. it seems to be a petty good flexshaft...beefyer than the one on my BJ26????

tlandauer
09-24-2012, 07:50 PM
If that was for me. that is the stock coupler, the shaft at on the couple side is fine but a the solde joint by the strut came loose. it seems to be a petty good flexshaft...beefyer than the one on my BJ26????
My bad, I thought it is the coupler's end from the pic. Sorry.
Try one of the up-grade ones sold here and i think you will be happy. I lost a brand new m445 once on an unknown cable/shaft, learned my lesson. No matter how good they look, if the oringin is not known( in my case), I change it .