PDA

View Full Version : Running a little too warm I think...

FE_Chris
07-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Had a chance to run the MC three times now. First time was with the stock prop, stock strut depth. The boat ran OK. Not great but good. Temps where right around 110 on the motor and ESC. Everything was good.

The last two times I have run with the M445 and my motor is getting really warm. I checked it after a 3min WOT run and I was at 130 on the ESC and 150 on the motor. The motor even smells just a little burned. Not much, and I don't think it was burning, just like hot electronics.

I have the strut adjusted properly. The boat is not running wet. It comes out of the water great and is in the low to mid 40's I believe. My solder connections are top notch. The only thing I can think of is the 98 degree water is not enough to keep things cool. It's hot down here. Air temp was 104 today. Just wondering if maybe I need to keep the stock prop on this thing until we dip back down in to the 70's. Temp wise and water temp wise.

The other thing I was thinking of was getting some bigger water pickup's and running one for the esc and another one for the motor separately.

Any thoughts?

dana
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
well when the ambient temp is 104 yes things are gonna get warmer. if you want temps down...try cutting your run times down or propping smaller. m440 is a good prop

JimClark
07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
How free is it running

FE_Chris
07-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys. Well, run times of 3 mins are already pretty low. If I have to cut down more I think I'll just hold off till summer ends. I can boat during the winter here because it stays relatively warm year round.

Jim, she was nice and loose. I had to row out in my rescue raft and get her on the first run. The bow started to lift off the water and I couldn't get off the throttle fast enough to keep her down. After I let her cool down I put some fresh lipos but moved them fwd 3/4" and that took care of my flighty boat while still leaving things a little on the edge. My strut is in the right place I think.

Tell you guys what. I just ordered some 1/8" ID fuel tubing and a couple of traxxas water pick-ups. The stock water pick-up on this thing is really small as well as the water tubing has a REALLY small ID. The traxxas pick-ups are much larger from what I remember. I don't race this thing so having a little extra drag is not a big deal to me. I'm going to install the new cooling setup, run the stock propeller and see what my temps come out to next time. I'll do that for one set of batts and then swap to a fresh set of lipos with the M445 and see how she runs then.

And thanks for the suggestion on the prop. I need to start aquiring some new props anyway. I think a m440 and m442 are going to be the next two I scoop up.

Again, thanks guys. Any other suggestions and comments are welcome. Stay tunes and hopefully next weekend I'll have another chance to get this thing back out on the water with the new setup.