PDA

View Full Version : Any VS-1 owners?

siberianhusky
07-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Anybody willing to post some pics of of the radio box conversion?
Looking for some options. Going to pick one up in a couple of hours, found a great deal on a NIB one locally.
This is what I want a Stiletto/Impulse/Geico/Mystic setup for. Also need a conversion for a K&B lower I have kickin' around.
Thanks for the pics.

properchopper
07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Mark, I have a complete build thread here, but I can't find it. Here's some pictures that may help. I talked to Mike Z before the build and he advised me to get the pivot closer to the front so I notched the transom since my Hyperformance Angle Drive was really long. Probably not necessary with other outdrives. And yes, having a belt sander is an absolutely worthwhile investment. Also having an ample supply of chilled malt beveridges on hand helps to calm the nerves during the rather intricate moments of this build. Good luck !!

properchopper
07-31-2011, 12:35 PM
More : Some use the wire actuating/servo in front; I prefer 4-40 rods & servo in back for more positive servo engagement. Makes stuffing the servo & speed control in the confined space in back tricky. This is an early version with an SV 27 SC & motor; later version had a UL-1 speedy & motor for spec class racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJLoGgRxfU

( It didn't flip at the end of the vid, I was just parking it :wink:)

Chilli
07-31-2011, 12:58 PM
I went with a one piece radio box. Many add to the the existing radio box and run it all all the way to the transom. I left a little perch for the speed controller in the back and run the servo in the front.

Use 1/8 inch ply for the box. At first I thought it would add unecessary weight. As it turns out it hasnt affected speed on bit. The boat was dead in the water and got T-boned by a nitro boat a few weeks ago. The radio box was only slightly damaged. If I would of used a thinner ply the boat might of been distroyed.

lars_01
07-31-2011, 01:06 PM
It´s not a VS-1 but this is what i did to convert my Cobra tunnel:5679656797567985679956800
I´m going to add some flake and fireorange candy to it!

Stinger9D9
07-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Nice photos guys! I have been cursing my TS2 for a few years now - I finally got it to dive "less" in the corners by moving everything around in it, now it just hops all the way through them instead.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a VS1 for a while now - sport running only, no racing - and I wanted something that corners well. As I wouldn't be racing, good flat cornering is more important to me than flat out straight line speed.

For that scenario, is would the VS1 suit my needs better than the TS3? I think it would, but I haven't heard many comparisons of the 2 hulls in FE trim.

properchopper
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Nice photos guys! I have been cursing my TS2 for a few years now - I finally got it to dive "less" in the corners by moving everything around in it, now it just hops all the way through them instead.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a VS1 for a while now - sport running only, no racing - and I wanted something that corners well. As I wouldn't be racing, good flat cornering is more important to me than flat out straight line speed.

For that scenario, is would the VS1 suit my needs better than the TS3? I think it would, but I haven't heard many comparisons of the 2 hulls in FE trim.

I raced a TS-2 with AQ 1500 motor & SC in 2008. Full throttle in the turns without that crazy bouncing but it took lots of trial & error to tune it out, but the boat was pretty sluggish - at the time there were only TS-2's to compete with so it did pretty well ; took class win in 2008 at WW IV in AZ with that boat. VS-1's are faster & handle better, the TS-3's might be the best all-around boat, but the go-to boat for all-out performance is Mike L.'s (cybercrxt) ML295 here on the forums.
I have a vid of the TS-2 behaving but the file is too big to upload here, I'll see if I can work on it.

Stinger9D9
07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Well with Tower having their $10 discount, and discounted international shipping...AND the Canadian dollar being worth 5% more (for effectively another 5% discount) I pulled the trigger and ordered up a VS1. (The shipping discount ended - for the time being - today)

I don't doubt that the TS3 is a good hull, but I've just seen so many threads with VS1 conversions that worked out well, I couldn't resist. The VS1 is wider, shorter (height), not as long which all indicate turning stability to me.

I'll let someone else work out the best way to convert a TS3 and instead go with the proven route for the time being.

More photos (particularly for siberianhusky - as I am hijacking his thread here) would be great. Thanks everyone!

egneg
07-31-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a VS-1 with a K&B lower. It runs about 50 mph with a 8XL and a Prather 215. I think I got the conversion at OSE but am not sure. Here is a pic of the radio box. With the K&B a 215 is about the all that will fit.

siberianhusky
07-31-2011, 06:29 PM
I remember the for sale thread for the HD scheme boat!
I did my hotshot with the servo up front esc in the back.
Think this one I'll do the servo in the back, think I'll be able to get a tighter setup that way.
Going to wait until I've got the motor mounted before I cut into it, get a ball park idea of where I need to put stuff to get it to balance, since it's a conversion I'd like to keep the surgery to a minimum, if I don't need to use the existing radio box I'll just build on behind it, pack it full of foam for floatation.
Thanks for all the pics, some sweet boats out there!
Saw some really nice gas stuff when I picked this up, Gary is planning to head down to the big straight away race this fall, wants to crack 100mph with one of his custom carbon fiber riggers. Also checked out a fresh from the mould new design carbon cat he's working on, 600 hours into design and mould building! This was the first one from the mould.
Lives in Whitby, might know Eboat, doesn't know Wparsons. He runs out of the Aliston club.
Thanks again for the help.

Stinger9D9
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Mark, I have a complete build thread here, but I can't find it. Here's some pictures that may help. I talked to Mike Z before the build and he advised me to get the pivot closer to the front so I notched the transom since my Hyperformance Angle Drive was really long. Probably not necessary with other outdrives. And yes, having a belt sander is an absolutely worthwhile investment. Also having an ample supply of chilled malt beveridges on hand helps to calm the nerves during the rather intricate moments of this build. Good luck !!

I found the build thread for your VS-1 (with some help from google):
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?5811-Properchopper-s-VS-1-build

I like the way you notched the transom to get the pin further ahead of the back of the sponsons. I know you did it because the Angle Drive was so long, but do you think it would also help when running a regular REK lower? The reason I ask is because the manual says the VS-1 likes understeering (having the pivot ahead of the transom) and I'd like to know if it would be worth it.

If it really does help handling that much, it should make most outboards perform better, and if I'm going to do some major cutting like that, now would be the time for me to do it (right at the outset of my build).

properchopper
08-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I found the build thread for your VS-1 (with some help from google):
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?5811-Properchopper-s-VS-1-build

I like the way you notched the transom to get the pin further ahead of the back of the sponsons. I know you did it because the Angle Drive was so long, but do you think it would also help when running a regular REK lower? The reason I ask is because the manual says the VS-1 likes understeering (having the pivot ahead of the transom) and I'd like to know if it would be worth it.

If it really does help handling that much, it should make most outboards perform better, and if I'm going to do some major cutting like that, now would be the time for me to do it (right at the outset of my build).

I've raced against several VS-1's ; some with the REK and some with the bullet drive ; both are shorter than the angle drive, none of them had the recessed transom and they turned really well.

Jacked1
08-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyone do this with a DPI 3.5 tunnel? I need to!

HTVboats
08-18-2011, 07:48 PM
The VS-1 is a good hull and was designed for the OS stock/sport .21 outboard and is marginal as a mod setup. The TS-3 was designed for mod .21 motors and with a 4S 1800 or 2030KV motor which puts out more power than the OS you might want to go with a TS-3. Will stay upright a little more often. I have rigged and run a Lynx, a Shaman, a Vision and a TS-3 and they all run well enough to compete in racing and do well. I know your just looking for a sport runner but the handling qualities that make a good race boat make an excellent sport boat.
Mic

ron1950
08-18-2011, 10:16 PM
a vs-1 won at the nats this year....wasent the fastest by far but it finished all three heats in either first or second place......fastest doesent always win the race just ask the turtle and the hair lol.....here is a typical example....as the white boat wins this heat.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJdVFi6PV8

Stinger9D9
08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Well I just took my new VS-1 build out for it's 2nd, 3rd and 4th runs. This time with the UL-1 powertrain and a de-tongued X642 prop.

What a blast. I haven't tried messing with motor angles or heights (I'm set at about 1/4 degree negative trim with the center of the prop shaft 0.200" above the bottom of the sponsons), it's running a bit wet, but nice and fast, and absolutely NO hooking in the corners. It hops a bit if I corner too slowly...and the servo in there needs changing (to one with more torque - running a waterproof traxxas right now) but it's still just too much fun.

That said, I did "park" it a couple times today, but very little water got in the hull, and nothing that harmed the electronics or batteries (I still have some more sealing around wire passthroughs to do). It's too easy to get carried in the turns with the way this hull corners, I flipped coming over some of my own wakes sideways.

In all, the VS-1 is just about perfect for what I wanted. I may go with an 1800kv motor and AQ 60amp ESC in the end (the 2030kv motor was a bit wild for my conservative side). Now it's time to paint her up.

Pete32200
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
My Vs-1 is definately one of my favorite boats, am running a 90 amp seaking, UL-1 motor, K&B lower, 42 x 55 Grim racer prop and single 4s lipo

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z245/1973v8bug/ul-1andvs-1002-1.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z245/1973v8bug/ul-1andvs-1003-1.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z245/1973v8bug/ul-1andvs-1004-1.jpg

Stinger9D9
09-19-2011, 10:13 PM
After the first few runs, I guess you could say she earned her stripes.

I am now running a UL-1 motor/ESC combo in my VS1 with great results. I just took her out again on Sunday for some bombing around and ran through 3 packs back to back with the motor only hitting a high of 99F. I've got to prop up a bit (running an X642) and maybe trim her up a smidge, but other than that, what a great boat. No flipping, one spinout, and not a drop of water inside the hull.

Oh yeah, I swapped out the Traxxas waterproof servo for one of those 200oz Turnigy all metal servos and now I have no problem muscling her into and out of the corners.

Here's a photo of her sitting still - like I said she earned her stripes :wink: now I just need the wife to come out and get some good action shots of her underway.