PDA

View Full Version : Steering question(a villain sv27 pseudo hybrid

Quicksilver
02-29-2008, 01:47 PM
:help:

I thought I'd ask you guys this. My villain here doesnt have the responsiveness I wish it had and was wondering if my setup looks correct. I made the rudder, but the strut is SV27 and power wise, I'm using a 700sc on 16 cells. She'll turn right just fine, but hardly turns left. Will turn fins fix this or is my rudder in the wrong position perhaps?
here's some pics and my last successful run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9AIZ173B8

any tips would help, I'd like to get her setup correctly before the ice melts. :tongue_smilie:

p.s. try to ignore the horrid steering linkage, I was messing with change angles and such
and thats a 42mm graupner k series.

Ctonez
02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
From pic #2, it looks as if the rudder is too close to the transom in relation to the drive dog/prop...
The leading edge of the rudder should align with the drive dog.
I have turn fins on all my monos, but mainly right side for oval racing & turning right...on the SV27 it is often the case that you need to execute an evasive left turn to avoid boats in your path, often resulting in a rollover or spin out...even a small port side fin helps stabilize the left turning, so it ought to serve the same purpose here.

In the vid it looks like it turns left okay at slow speeds...maybe the rudder is coming out of the water at high speeds...just a guess.

Quicksilver
02-29-2008, 10:51 PM
thanks the for input, definitely things to think about