PDA

View Full Version : SV27 Newbie Questions

Paladin
02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
OK, this is my very first boat (I've been into planes) so ya'll might have to cut me a little bit of slack.

Thanks to all for the good information available on these forums. I have already learned a lot and have ordered parts to make some of the suggested mods to my new boat. I have come across some things that I have not been able to find an answer to though and hope to get some help from some of the more experienced boaters here.

Question one:
The bottom hole on my rudder was plugged up and I drilled it out. The smaller hole on the side of the rudder about half way up is open and clear. Is the hole on the bottom of the rudder supposed to be plugged or open?

Question two:
Which batteries would give me better performance and run times? I am not into racing, just tooling around and having a good time on the water.

A: Two 3800 mah Nimh batteries 7.2v, 420 grams each (recommended stock batteries)

B: Two 3700 mah Lipo batteries 7.4v, 205 grams each.

C: Two 3700 mah Lipo batteries 14.8v (wired to provide 14.8v) 395 grams each.

Question three:
If I do make the switch to Lipo’s, how important is it to try and match the weight of the recommended stock batteries?

Thanks for your help.

ice329
02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
The answer to question one is.....that hole has to be plugged up otherwise the water wont get forced threw the system.

I will leave that battery question to someone else.

Rex R
02-29-2008, 12:44 PM
welcome to the forum ;)
er answers 1) should be plugged as it isn't exactly in a 'high' pressure zone
2) d) all of the above though a & b would be the easiest to do...ok b)would give you somewhat better runtime...in theory, in practice I doubt you wold notice. if you stay with the stock prop there is little noticible gain in speed. answer c) would require you to wire them in parallel and change the boats wiring.
3) don't think most folks worry about it other than find a place to put them(we generally have to change the batt holders anyway :))

Paladin
02-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Joey and Rex R, you can tell this is all new to me can't you?:smile:

Rex R
02-29-2008, 12:50 PM
we were all new at one time ;). eventually you'll catch on to most of the in's and out's of boats.
edit
2 4s packs in parallel (4s2p) would give the longest runtime since you would have a total of 7600 Mah to work with, but you would have to change the boats wiring.

motoxbob11
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
My choice would be two sets of 7.4 lipos instead of one set of 14.8 (4S) packs. The cost would be almost the same and you would benefit by running with a lighter weight. Depending on setup you might not want to pour 7400 Mah through the boat without a cool down anyway. Either way LiPos are the way to go. Remember you need a LiPo charger as well.

Paladin
03-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Part of my battery decision was made for me when I realized that the charger I have will only charge up to three cell lipos. So I ordered two 7.4v 5,000 mAh lipos from Xcite batteries.

That will give me a chance to compare those batts with the 3,400 mAh NiMH batts that I bought with the boat. Now I just need to complete all of the mods. The only thing I have gotten done so far is to completely strip it down and paint all of the wood with thinned epoxy. One step at a time, but I'm waiting on parts anyway.

txboatpilot
03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Part of my battery decision was made for me when I realized that the charger I have will only charge up to three cell lipos. So I ordered two 7.4v 5,000 mAh lipos from Xcite batteries.

That will give me a chance to compare those batts with the 3,400 mAh NiMH batts that I bought with the boat. Now I just need to complete all of the mods. The only thing I have gotten done so far is to completely strip it down and paint all of the wood with thinned epoxy. One step at a time, but I'm waiting on parts anyway.

:spy: There will be NO COMPARISON!!! LIPOS RULE!!:rockon2:

This is a great first boat! You have made a wise purchase...

What prop are you planning on running?

Paladin
03-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks, I'm looking forward to running it for the first time but I also enjoy the ordering/tinkering part just as much if not more.

I ordered the GrimRacer 42 X 55 2 blade prop, the OSE water jacket, a port side turn fin and a new flex cable liner. I sealed back up the bottom of my rudder with some Gorilla glue but am reading about possible cooling problems with the stock water pickup.

Right now I am considering upgrading the cooling to a transom mount pickup of some kind.

txboatpilot
03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Here is a link to some tabs with cooling installed! I use them and they are night and day in water flow, compared to the rudder pick-up....
http://www.kintecracing.com/Supervee_27_upgrades.html

I also run the Grim 42x55, it works great... I only run 1 stock turn fin, most of my running is in a oval course, to practice for the races... I have ran the second t-fin for sport running and it drove like it is on rails..

Good Luck!!

Paladin
03-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Hey, thanks for the link. They have been ordered. That actually answered another question I had also about where to get the adjustable trim tabs. This thing is coming together!

txboatpilot
03-01-2008, 09:45 AM
OSE has adj. tabs too!!!http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-tab1015

Paladin
03-05-2008, 05:56 PM
OK, this thing is a hoot! Took it out today for the first run using the stock prop and 3600 NiMH batteries because that's all I had. I can tell this is going to be a lot of fun, especially when it gets dialed in good. Maybe I can get a short video up later.

calcagno45
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
sounds good! enjoy.

i'll be joining the fun soon! and let me know how you like that grimracer 42x55, thats what I was thinking about using on 12 and 14 cells.

Paladin
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
This is the first RC boat I have ever driven and it was a blast. I have to figure out how to get more water flowing though. My trim tabs from Kintec arrived today and I'm hoping the water pick up on them will work a lot better. I never could see water coming out of the side of the boat with the stock setup.

Paladin
03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey guys, I finally had a chance to edit my video of the SuperVee. It can be seen at http://www.blip.tv/file/741052. I am running the stock prop with 3,600 NiMH batteries in the stock location. The new water pick up works great. I have just started playing with the trimming but can tell that it is going to be a lot of fun. Enjoy!

calcagno45
03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Awesome man!! Glad your enjoying it.

by the way, nice recovery boat!!

Paladin
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
As you can see on that clip, the recovery boat comes in very handy.