PDA

View Full Version : RC carnage, plane edition

midnightsabotage
07-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Had some pictures laying around and I'm sure most of you are like me and enjoy seeing some quality RC crash pictures.

First up is my Parkzone BF-109 Messerschmitt. Can't seem to keep this thing away from the ground. That's just the first of about 5 bad crashes I've had with it.
The other 2 pictures are of my Hobbyking Pitts biplane. I let my professional pilot uncle take the sticks at a recent family gathering. He used to fly nitro planes 15 years ago. I guess he was a bit rusty XD

Enjoy!

midnightsabotage
07-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Here's a couple of my buddy's LR-1 Pogo full throttle nosedive crash.
Snow crashes are great because you can kinda see how it all happened :biggrin:

Peregrine
07-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Man, those are pretty severe! That is the reason I decided on boats over planes. Thanks for affirming my choice.

midnightsabotage
07-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Hehe, they're kinda fun when they're someone else's though!

I suppose I have to veer from the thread title for atleast one post...
Here, how about a picture of the SV27 my buddy drifted into a dock with:

Lemme tell you, it's way easier to glue together a busted foam plane than to re fiberglass and sand a hull back to working order!
The balsa planes are not as easy as the foam ones and not as cheap as a hull repair, but still usually takes me less time, which is precious.
Planes crash way more frequently than boats, however! That was the lure to me getting into marine RC. I've wrecked way too many trucks and planes 2 or 3 days in a row. Boats I might do better with?

osprey21
07-31-2011, 08:08 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2a7a1ki.jpg

Boaterguy
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM
im sure someone would pay big bucks for that! it's a good picture.

Brushless55
08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
im sure someone would pay big bucks for that! it's a good picture.
they already did..
it was in a mag a while back :thumbup1:

Chilli
09-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Hey Jeff, Had a wild ride with the T-28 tonight. The battery got loose, popped the canopy and and was hanging out of the plane. I don't know how I managed to get her down without wrecking it. The pack was swinging all over the place. :scared: With my limited experience she can be a handfull in the wind but at dusk when the wind dies down, she flies soooooo nice.:wub: I layed down some velcro (loop side) to get the battery snug. Next purchase will be a DX6i.

midnightsabotage
09-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Would have enjoyed seeing that one on video Nautiboyz!

You're really going to enjoy the DX6i :) HUGE step up from the dx5e.

As for me, I need to get a bird in the air soon... My neighbor took out his lil' Pluma a couple days ago and did all sorts of nutty aerobatics. Got me all excited to take out my micro 4-site again on a calm day. Only problem - last couple days have been decently breezy. If tomorrow isn't better I think I'll just put my Typhoon 2 in the air instead and see what maneuvers I can try.

You'll know how it went depending on whether or not I add another picture to this thread!

Happy flying,
-Jeff

Diesel6401
09-08-2011, 05:22 PM
This is my kinda thread... I don't have any pictures of my carnage though. I think I do have video though, I may have to post to youtube or something. Me and fpsphoto went out last week and had a rather fun filled day of flying. Started with him smashing is 50mm mig 15 edf up pretty good, then I threw my 50mm L-39 edf up and was having all kinds of fun, then I couldn't tell if I was right-side-up or upside down, pulled back on the stick and slammed her into the ground (i was upside down :doh:), after that he smashed another one not bad though. I ended the day tearing up the ski with my PZ Habu... Man I love that plane!

On the dx6i, I think it an AWESOME radio. I love mine and manipulating the radio you can setup 2 position flap and everything. I setup 2 position flaperons on my PZ Corsair and PZ Habu. I love that radio. I been using the HK orange receivers in my cheaper planes like my Flyzone Corvalis and my nitoplanes kits and they work awesome and for only $10 a rx from ebay, i don't trust the oranges enough just yet to throw them into my better planes. I dig the new dx7s coming out. 10 model memory on my dx6i is pretty much full :blush:...

Death of the Mig 15

Chilli
09-08-2011, 08:28 PM
I destroyed the fuselage on the the T-28 late last week. I was flying a bit above my skill level (inverted, too low with a breeze) and a gust of wind pushed the plane right into the dirt. Lesson learned. After a trip to the hobby shop and a few hours I was back in business. It was still allot cheaper than blowing a speed controller in one of my boats. I also took the plunge and purchased a DX6i. I was a little intimidated by all the switches when I took it out of the box, but after I read the owners manual and played with it I felt allot more comfortable with it. I think I'm going to like it allot. One feature that I really like is it will only work on the model that is selected on the transmitter. A feature I wish my Futaba 3pm had. I've had instances where I had back to back heats and taped up one boat while another was sitting on the table. When I turned on the transmitter, both boats fired up.

I purchased my second plane and just finished putting it together. It's the new Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX . This thing is schweeeet!!! I can't compare it to anything but the T-28 but the quality if so much nicer. She feels allot more solid and the build quality is superb. The reviews so far are that it flys really nice. It's going to be a while before mine hits the air. She is retract ready but does not have flaps.

Diesel6401
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I destroyed the fuselage on the the T-28 late last week. I was flying a bit above my skill level (inverted, too low with a breeze) and a gust of wind pushed the plane right into the dirt. Lesson learned. After a trip to the hobby shop and a few hours I was back in business. It was still allot cheaper than blowing a speed controller in one of my boats. I also took the plunge and purchased a DX6i. I was a little intimidated by all the switches when I took it out of the box, but after I read the owners manual and played with it I felt allot more comfortable with it. I think I'm going to like it allot. One feature that I really like is it will only work on the model that is selected on the transmitter. A feature I wish my Futaba 3pm had. I've had instances where I had back to back heats and taped up one boat while another was sitting on the table. When I turned on the transmitter, both boats fired up.

I purchased my second plane and just finished putting it together. It's the new Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX . This thing is schweeeet!!! I can't compare it to anything but the T-28 but the quality if so much nicer. She feels allot more solid and the build quality is superb. The reviews so far are that it flys really nice. It's going to be a while before mine hits the air. She is retract ready but does not have flaps.

Nice move on the dx6i, you will love it. Huge upgrade over the dx5e.
Noticed that bird, she sure is good looking and Parkzone keeps getting better and better with there scale and foam construction. I have flown many different brands of foamy and parkzone and horizon hobby has my heart! I think that I am going to wait for the E-flite Hawker to come out for my xmas present lol http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=EFL2975#quickFeatures i want a bigger wingspan warbird and this one is around 53' so should be a good size.

Spitfires can be a little tricky (not sure how this one is, but other brands are). You may need to dial in a little expo to the radio to settle her down a little. Keep practicing on that T-28. Do you have Phoenix sim? I swear that's the best purchase I have made to date.

I picked up a Habu a few weeks ago.... JACKPOT

Diesel6401
09-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Fpsphoto picked up a SE5a a few weeks ago (Parkzone) and I am not the hugest WWI bird fan, but man once again the detail the build design and just over apperance of the plane is just wonderful. Flew AWESOME. Here's a video I shot and edited for him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12mcC5WGllE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's some cool still images of Matt's Se.5a and some extra pics. That's my J-Power/Skyangel 50mm L-39 edf and my Airfield 800mm T-28.

fpsphoto
09-08-2011, 11:44 PM
whoa, im famous people are talking about me....
You left out the part where after the MIG french kissed the ground the C-47 went up without a pre-flight and died.
I guess I can share with you all that I have some skills at flying and I'm trying to find truck nuts for my planes so they flap in the wind for the videos.

Chilli
09-10-2011, 08:36 PM
First flights with the DX6i this evening. I like it allot. The exponential made the T-28 allot smoother going into the turns. Went through three packs this evening without incident. I have finally learned that if your going to fly stupid, do it at high altitude. LOL If the weather is nice next Saturday and the warm up sessions with the T-28 go good, I'm going to maiden the Spitfire. Early reviews are pretty good. No wing tip stall and I understand she flys like the Corsair. Any tips for tail draggers would be appreciated.

Diesel6401
09-10-2011, 09:17 PM
First flights with the DX6i this evening. I like it allot. The exponential made the T-28 allot smoother going into the turns. Went through three packs this evening without incident. I have finally learned that if your going to fly stupid, do it at high altitude. LOL If the weather is nice next Saturday and the warm up sessions with the T-28 go good, I'm going to maiden the Spitfire. Early reviews are pretty good. No wing tip stall and I understand she flys like the Corsair. Any tips for tail draggers would be appreciated.

SWEEEEEET good deal buddy. I had the Corsair, it did have a tendency to stall at lower speeds. Glad the T-28 and the dx6i are working well for you now. I see you got the flight bug a little. Onething awesome about flying is it a LOT cheaper then boats especially when u want to go fast. Tips for tail draggers, on taxi and roll out apply a litle ( i mean a little) up elevator and it will help prevent tipping over onto it's nose. On landing it might not gonna glide in as well as the T28 does, you may need to land with a little power, set the mains down first then cut throttle and she should settle down. Get some video :smile:

Diesel6401
09-10-2011, 09:19 PM
whoa, im famous people are talking about me....
You left out the part where after the MIG french kissed the ground the C-47 went up without a pre-flight and died.
I guess I can share with you all that I have some skills at flying and I'm trying to find truck nuts for my planes so they flap in the wind for the videos.

French kiss... that was more like a hardcore "p0rn session", she (mig) humped the ground pretty hard.... :doh:

midnightsabotage
09-13-2011, 07:39 AM
With any new plane, go into your turns with a little extra throttle. Can't tell you how many times I've buried my Messerschmitt into the ground because of it's tendencies to stall out easier while turning. I'm a decent pilot, but I could never recover from those types of stalls. Finally flew it successfully recently and it's because I remembered to gun it into the turns with that bird.

Different maneuvers at the same speeds with different aircraft can have drastically different results.

Until you get the feel of each new plane down, definitely try to get up there atleast 1 mistake high and give a little extra push when turning her around. Stay high and keep a decent amount of throttle until you can learn it's low speed limits in all directions and you'll be much happier :)

Nearly all of my planes are tail draggers, so I can't give much advice as far as what there is to look out for when transitioning from the other types.
I'd say just flare it up a tiny bit right before touching ground on your landings & you should almost hit a nice 3-point landing if the conditions are right. If you try to bring it in with the tail up, you're more likely to nose the plane over on landing - especially in grass.

Oh, and i'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new transmitter! :thumbup1:

Boaterguy
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Not a plane crash, but close!

Chilli
09-15-2011, 11:45 PM
That's a little rigger carnage. Ouch!!

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm probably going to maiden the Spitfire on Saturday. I couldnt wait and just had to put the retracts in her. Schweeeet!

Diesel6401
09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Guy today at the field in a large gaser had his rx pack die and he lost control and buried his plane. Sounded like a shotgun going off when it hit...

midnightsabotage
09-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Ouch! The big ones are always worse. Dang.

Had a great time over the weekend at a couple RC swap meets. I sold off a fiberglass EDF plane and also a smaller balsa/covered Extra 330 that I hadn't finished building. That jet was way past my skill set. Managed to end the weekend only about $100 lighter but acquired 5 planes more suited to my flying abilities :D

Already put 3 of the new ones in the air earlier today, VERY happy. Zoomed around an old E-Flite Electrajet (kinda the Striker's predecessor) and had a blast with that one.
Then I took off a P-38, my first twin brushless bird I've flown. Awesome, really quick with the dual motors. Had a rough landing as it stalled out at the end and dropped, but no visible damage. One side of the plane makes a little bit of noise on throttle so I need to investigate if it's just vibration or if the motor has an issue.
After that I had to go with the Parkzone P-47 I just got for an absolute STEAL. Flaps and retracts installed and everything. That one's a blast too. Great flyer! Landings were a little hot as I forgot to try out the flaps, but I didn't have any incidents, and the landings were pretty nice.

So, no crash eye candy for you guys this time, sorry! But I had to gloat. Haven't had a successful flying day like today in a long time. Happy flying to you all!
-Jeff

Chilli
09-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I finally got to take up the Spitfire this weekend. We had a group of about 20 people get together from RCgroups and flew at a industrial park that the lousy economy has kept from being completed. Lots of paved roads and open fields. The Spitfire fire flew great. No bad habits. She feels much more solid in the wind and doesnt get blown around like the T-28. Take off wasnt a problem but the I was a little bouncy on the landings (first time landing on asphalt and with a cross wind...and a crowd watching). I havent been using the dual rate but I may turn the elevator D/R on for landing. My expo is set at +30. No damage other than a scratched up spinner and scuffed wing tips.

I also purchased a used Super Cub LP for my son from one of the guys at the fun fly. It came with 4 batteries, floats, drop module and the Spektrum ready reciever. We picked up a buddy cable on the way home and I let me son take her for a spin at dusk when the winds died down. Thats a cool little plane. Very docile. He did very well with it. All in all a good weekend. A dozen flights and nothing worst than a few nose overs.

Just orderd a Watt'sUp Meter and prop reamer. I want to play with a few three blades on the Trojan. I going to try Master Airscrew 10x7/3 and 9x7/3.

Gotta get back in boat mode. Last race of the season this weekend!!

Chilli
09-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Flew my first micro a few days ago. My buddy brought in his PZ UM P-51. I didnt think I would like micro's but what a blast. I HAVE to get the T-28. I've already ordered some Hyperion 160's and the 1S parallel balancing adapter.

Diesel6401
09-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Flew my first micro a few days ago. My buddy brought in his PZ UM P-51. I didnt think I would like micro's but what a blast. I HAVE to get the T-28. I've already ordered some Hyperion 160's and the 1S parallel balancing adapter.

sounds like your getting bit by the plane bug lol... the umx are fun, i have the t28 and the mosquito (so cool a twin micro) and there awesome. horizon had a sell a few months back where you get 10 of the 1s 150mah batts for like $25 or something. My fpsphoto split it. he has the umx j3 cub, sukhoi, corsair and beast all super cool.

midnightsabotage
09-22-2011, 02:08 AM
sounds like your getting bit by the plane bug lol...
Totally agree! There's no hope for him now, haha!

The only Ultramicro I've got is the 4-Site, but dang it's a blast. I've got a bunch of the 160mah nano's - 35c I think. They're like a buck or 2 on Hobbyking. Can't go wrong to add a bunch if you're putting in an order anyhow :D

Is that mosquito pretty awesome? I've been eyeing it since it came out. That and the SBach :)

Chilli
09-22-2011, 08:16 AM
I was eye balling the Nano's but didnt know if they would fit under the T-28. I guess it's no biggie if I have to do a little cutting. I've been very happy with the 3S 2200 Nano's so far.

BTW - HK just got the 3S 2200's restocked. All c ratings.

Now my only decisionis is BNF with the DSM2 Reciever or RTF. Hmmm.....

midnightsabotage
09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
international or usa warehouse? i'll only buy my 2200s (or any bigger packs of course) from the usa warehouse. shipping costs just kill any kind of a bargain from the international warehouse

midnightsabotage
09-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Had some fun flying my E-flite Mini Pulse today. It's the first and only wood & covering model of mine that I've put in the air. So much fun, and really flies great. There's a clear difference in wood vs foam in flight characteristics.

I knew it'd happen, and today was the day:

She got into a nasty spin and found pavement out of my line of site. Heard a gunshot noise & went to find her. There the bird was, resting as pictured, about 25 feet away from the divot the prop adapter made in the road. The wood motor bracing and everything in the front simply doesn't exist anymore inside that crumpled up fiberglass cowl, lol. Wing is decimated, and the fuselage is busted up in all sorts of places along the length of it. Thick aluminum landing gear is bent real good and the area it's mounted to the fuselage is busted to pieces. Canopy plastic is all cracked up too.

This was a fun one :rofl:

Diesel6401
09-22-2011, 03:49 PM
The micro mosquito is a blast. Its really fun to fly! I been eyeing up the mini pulse xt as well. Sorry to hear yours didn't make it. So many planes on the list. I may grab another 50mm edf soon though. They are a pure blast!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

midnightsabotage
10-21-2011, 07:42 AM
I put in an order for an E-flite Mini Funtana X to drop all my old Mini Pulse motor/electronics in, but it was more than a week after I put the order in and still had no shipping notification, so I decided to cancel it. Ended up getting a boat hull instead, lol

That Funtana airframe is really cool, the style & color scheme is great. I hope to get one in the near future soon. Just wanted to bring it up so that you have the opportunity to check both out in case you were still thinking of getting the Pulse. The Funtana will be way more aerobatic in the air & is supposed to be quite 3d capable. The Pulse wouldn't be nearly as aerobatic, but is a little lighter and probably noticeably faster with that same Park 480 motor setup.

Let me know if you get either one sometime!
-Jeff

slowride
10-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Just another day at the Beach

Diesel6401
10-27-2011, 12:00 AM
I put in an order for an E-flite Mini Funtana X to drop all my old Mini Pulse motor/electronics in, but it was more than a week after I put the order in and still had no shipping notification, so I decided to cancel it. Ended up getting a boat hull instead, lol

That Funtana airframe is really cool, the style & color scheme is great. I hope to get one in the near future soon. Just wanted to bring it up so that you have the opportunity to check both out in case you were still thinking of getting the Pulse. The Funtana will be way more aerobatic in the air & is supposed to be quite 3d capable. The Pulse wouldn't be nearly as aerobatic, but is a little lighter and probably noticeably faster with that same Park 480 motor setup.

Let me know if you get either one sometime!
-Jeff

Good deal. I'm still eyeing the pulse up, i think it will suit my style of flying, @ $200 pnp drop a $10 orange rx in it and already loaded on 3s 2200s should be a good deal. Went to field today really quick and did some touch-n-go's with my Corvalis. FPS was with me and doing some as well then pulled up and into a loop and didn't have enough alt to pull out of it. Ill have to load is crash vid, his corvalis is toasted though. He could have made the loop if he had his d/r set to high instead of low lol. It was also crazy windy, you can see the streamers in the background really moving.

Here's my vid of today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w9UPLIaKV8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk