PDA

View Full Version : what is the difference between the 1st batch and current version?

tlandauer
07-26-2011, 03:42 AM
I bought one when it first came out, never run it, the rudder rod is still bend for shipping reasons, now I have a Miss Geico, wonder it is still worth my troube to get her wet.:wink: I seemd to recall they had motor issues and current version uses out runners. I bought it for its scale looks of the twin setup.

oneboatnut
07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I think the only difference is the motors - someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

tlandauer
07-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks, i guess what I am really saying is that should I just consider to sell it or run it to see what happens, time is everything with me I don't want to waste my valuable recreational time. Please advise>:help:

oneboatnut
07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
From what I've read, you should have little to no problems if you dont exceed 3S power. Venom advertised much higher so people were running 4S and higher and the motors couldnt handle it. So, IMO, I would definately keep the boat and see what she does. And in a worst case scenario, you chould spend a few bucks and upgrade the ESC and motors with a more reliable setup. The boat is just too pretty to let go :-)

crash440
11-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Ver 1 motor is water cooled, Ver 2 are fan cooled.

tagasagwan
03-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Last time I've checked with Venom's website, they offer two types of EKOS hulls. Now they only have the item#1965 which is what I have as a bare hull. I don't know why they offered two hulls and the other one is about $60 less which is no longer available. probably there are some differences between the two ekos but I'm just guessing. Hope somebody who owed both the old and new versions of the ekos can chime in to say the diffidence.

I agree with oneboatnut that it's too pretty to let go! My bare hull has been reinforced with extra glass but it sits in her box for 4 months now! So thus my Skunkworks Gen2 Cat! I haven't started the build yet. I have the hardware from FC and choices of twins Castle/neu 1512's and Feigao 540 10XL's. Wish I can start building her for the summer which has already started!

Keep your EKOS Tlandauer! Enjoy it as stock on 3S then later upgrade on better motors and ESC. Also, extra glass for added strength won't hurt! You don't want to trash your pretty hull on a bad crash! have fun!

tlandauer
03-23-2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks for your opinion, I didn't sell it and I actually ran the boat twice, 3s stock setup. She ran beautifully and I didn't mind the scale speed, the only problem I had was one motor/ESC was much warmer than the other one, I was afraid it will burn up. I checked the drive line and made sure that there was not any binding, but the problem did not go away. I bought two used Feigo 380 with water cooler as back up. I certainly don't want to rip out the motor mount to start another never ending mod project!:rofl:

gsbuickman
06-12-2017, 02:20 AM
Thanks for your opinion, I didn't sell it and I actually ran the boat twice, 3s stock setup. She ran beautifully and I didn't mind the scale speed, the only problem I had was one motor/ESC was much warmer than the other one, I was afraid it will burn up. I checked the drive line and made sure that there was not any binding, but the problem did not go away. I bought two used Feigo 380 with water cooler as back up. I certainly don't want to rip out the motor mount to start another never ending mod project!:rofl:

Hiya Tim :tiphat: ,

After being out of the hobby for a little while, I'm back. I recently bought a new to me king of shaves V2 twin cat w/ the 2700kv out runners & 60a esc's here on the board from the swap shop. I haven't got her in the water yet because I'm laid up and recuperating from a recent surgery / accident, but it gives me something to go thru, work on and get set up for when I'm back on My Feet Again.

tlandauer
06-12-2017, 02:29 AM
Wow, 5+ years old thread. How are you man? Take care, good to hear from you.
I sort of stopped running my boats,not because i don't love it, but i got bitten by the flying bug, first I was building some quad copters and now I am flying collective pitch helicopters and UMX airplanes mainly from Horizon Hobbies. The problem is if I don't run the boats, eventually the lipo packs go bad and i have to retire them, and it is expensive to buy new ones, the aircraft I fly use much smaller packs and they are cheap, for that money I buy different planes and fly all day long.
But, I will get back to boats, I do miss it very much,

gsbuickman
06-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Wow, 5+ years old thread. How are you man? Take care, good to hear from you.
I sort of stopped running my boats,not because i don't love it, but i got bitten by the flying bug, first I was building some quad copters and now I am flying collective pitch helicopters and UMX airplanes mainly from Horizon Hobbies. The problem is if I don't run the boats, eventually the lipo packs go bad and i have to retire them, and it is expensive to buy new ones, the aircraft I fly use much smaller packs and they are cheap, for that money I buy different planes and fly all day long.
But, I will get back to boats, I do miss it very much,

Ha ha, for the most part I'm doing okay, just recuperating from a recent accident and the resulting surgeries from it, so I have plenty of time on my hands lately. I also got out of the hobby a while back because I was getting tired of running them by myself since the sport pretty much died out around here. I'm not looking to get back into the hobby as heavy as I was and I know this boat was discontinued several years ago and parts are pretty much obsolete, but I've always wanted one, so I'll be happy to get her in the water on occasion just for fun. Oh yeah, not to mention she's also my first twin cat.

I picked it up for $200 from the swap shop. The atomik hatch that's on it was another $75 also from the swap shop and 3 new sets of 3s lipos ran another $180 so, yeah, Ouch, a little much just for an occasional sport boat:doh: ...