PDA

View Full Version : Another 1/10th Scale for Darin - 1996 Miss DeWalt

Darin Jordan
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey Guys... Just picked this up last night... Built by a local guy, Jeff Howard, who does amazing work... He does all his own vacuum forming, so the cowling is light and beautifully done...

Hull has a small ding in the air trap on one side... and has a small gouge in one of the sponson non-trips, but nothing tough to make a simple repair to... All wood over foam construction, with carbon tubing reinforcement inside... Shouldn't take long to get it going...

Came with the matching stand this time, which is really nice... I'm not sure how I'm getting such good deals... but that's another one for sure... Definately an sound investment...

I'll post more pics once I get started repairing it and getting it ready to go... Since we have multiple clubs here in WA... I think I'll get one setup to run under Classic Thunders club rules (4S Lipos and Any Brushless Motor), and the other setup to run under ours and E-RCUs rules... (4S Lipos and SV27 Motor or for E-RCU a HiMax 3630-1500 Motor)...

The other neat thing about the Miss DeWalt... It's still Team Madison, and it became the Oberto in the following seasons! So I'm sticking with my theme...

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/DeWalt_001.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/DeWalt_002.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/DeWalt_003.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/DeWalt_004.jpg

goldendesign04
02-27-2008, 09:27 AM
you make us all jealous darin.
It looks great! Have fun with all your too cool projects!

-Wayne

Flying Scotsman
02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
That is a beautiful boat Darin. How many boats do you own, now?

Douggie

Darin Jordan
02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
That is a beautiful boat Darin. How many boats do you own, now?

Douggie

Less today than a week ago... Two 1/10ths now, however... but the investment made in these two 1/10ths was a lot less than you might think... I just found two really good deals...

Doby
02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Again,,,nice !

SJFE
02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I have to agree with Wayne. I am way green over here.

Stealth Assassin
02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I like the capsule on that rig. I have only seen one other hydro that had that shape and It had a turbine In It. The paint job looked like a navy fighter jet.

Looks cool! :cool2:

10gauge
02-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Absolutely gorgeous boat - best 1/10 Hydro I've seen on any site! Imagine a Neu 1527 in that baby. Hope you can show some videos....

Darin Jordan
10-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi Gang,

I finally have the DeWalt in race trim. We run these as "spec" boats, so our power system is limited to an SV27, BJ26, or similiar motor (HiMax 3630-1500, etc.) and 4S... Boats are plenty fast and race together very well.

Updates since I got the boat include repairing the gash in one of the sponsons, then repaiting all of the white and black paint. I squared up the tunnel and added carbon tubing reinforcement, as well as doubled up the ply in critical areas, like under the batteries. I also added more material to the turn fin area, and fabbed an excellent turn-fin for it, patterned after the real boats.

New drive hardware includes a SpeedMaster Mini-21 sized rudder, Fuller's strut and bracket, mounted inside and under the hull, OSE Adjustable Motor mount and 5mm to .078 wire coupler, .078 Wire Drive stuffing tube and shaft, and new servo mounting with carbon-fiber tube reinforced 4-40 sized steering rod...

After losing a wire-shaft on the first weekend out, I got all that fixed and had a successful race weekend a couple of weeks ago. Boat handles GREAT... best driving boat I own... and it's competitively fast. The handling is what really makes it a pleasure... it handles the rough stuff well, and I can stick it right where I want to in the turns...

Anyhow, here are some updated pics I tool last night showing the updates. I won't be parting with this boat anytime soon!!

Darin Jordan
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Here is a shot of the turn fin mounted... This works AWESOME! It's straight, with only a slight (about 5-degree, maybe less) inward angle. No issues with "grip"... It extends about 2" below the ride surface, and back about 2"...

Now that I know it works, I'm going to polish it over the winter... Bling-Bling! :thumbup1:

Ctonez
10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I like how you emulated the full-size turn fin bracket with all the holes. Super cool boat!

Flying Scotsman
10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Very nice Darin :bowdown:

How did you determine the distance between the rudder and the prop shaft?

Douggie

Darin Jordan
10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
How did you determine the distance between the rudder and the prop shaft?

Douggie

Well... I don't have a formula... I figure out which is the largest prop I may want to run, then leave plenty of clearance from there...

I'm sure there is preferred method for determining this, but this works well for me thus far...

Ub Hauled
10-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Darin can you post a closer shot of the strut assembly please? I would like to know how it's made so no water comes in...
thanks

longballlumber
10-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Hauled,

It looks like the strut has been mounted on the transom just as any other boat. The only difference it's internal and is oriented towards the front of the boat. He then puts a small clearance cut, just big enough to slip the strut thru the bottom and into the strut bracket. Silicone is what keeps it water tight....

Mike

Darin Jordan
10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Hauled,

It looks like the strut has been mounted on the transom just as any other boat. The only difference it's internal and is oriented towards the front of the boat. He then puts a small clearance cut, just big enough to slip the strut thru the bottom and into the strut bracket. Silicone is what keeps it water tight....

Mike

Yup... Couldn't have said it better myself! ;)

Some guys build a "wet box" around the strut bracket and just let the water come in... I have pretty good luck setting the struts on the bench and never usually have to move them that much, so silicone works out fine. I can still adjust it a bit without breaking the seal...

Darin Jordan
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
It's BAAACCKKKK!!

After damaging my Miss DeWalt in August of 2009, I have FINALLY gotten around to properly fixing it. New wing, newly configured cowl and mounting, and some paint touch up. Back in business...

Here is the flip that damaged her:
VfCKtQlbgtM

The pics below are of her all back in race shape! Guess I have ONE boat ready for the 2012 FE Nats! ;)

sailr
08-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Suweeeet boat Darin. I love 1/10th scales. I have two, one vintage and one modern. Great class.

Darin Jordan
08-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Suweeeet boat Darin. I love 1/10th scales. I have two, one vintage and one modern. Great class.

I have my Vintage "Parco O-Ring Miss" sitting on the workbench as I type this! Originally built by the same builder as my DeWalt. In fact, someone was racing it at the same race as in my video above before I bought it.

Got a little battered, so I'm working on getting it back into shape. I'll post a thread on it as I go.

PapaGriz
08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Glad to see you saved this boat. It is absolutely gorgeous. :thumbup1: