PDA

View Full Version : Water outlet

faqcya
07-23-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm having issues with my fastech when running my boat I can barely see any water coming out of the outlet. My other boats I can clearly see a stream I'vechecked all the hoses and even connected it to my modified jet boat and tried to force water through the outlet I see no leaks but still only a small amount of water is coming out. Can someone please give me some other things to check or tell me if my boat is ok?

johnmaclean
07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Go to your local pharmacy and pick up an oral syringe. They are freebies here in Ontario. Remove the tubing from your water pick up and fit the loaded syringe into the free end of the tubing. Force the water through the cooling system using the syringe and see if it flows freely through to the discharge. That will at least confirm sufficient flow through the system. I have sv27's and usualy only see about a 2 inch stream of water coming out the discharge.

mcdragon2
07-23-2011, 11:36 AM
otherwise it might be the esc or motor has corroded and is restricting the flow

Boaterguy
07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
otherwise it might be the esc or motor has corroded and is restricting the flow
to test this, isolate each variable, until you find the culprit. you could run a cleaner through your cooling system, this should be done periodically. be careful with corrosive prosucts because they can ruin the tubing and cause further leaks

faqcya
07-28-2011, 11:43 PM
OK I used the oral syringe and it gets a good flow with no noticable leaks, however whenever I run my boat I still can't see an real waterflow coming out the system. Honestly I have a better stream of water coming out of my girlfriends stock mini rio.

tlandauer
07-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Did you check your rudder? Sometimes small debris get stuck in the water pick-up holes. My plastic syinge has a bend narrow tip which allows me to directly shoot water into the holes with pressure, that way I get to make sure water is coming out even if it is slightly blocked, the presure will hopefully force whatever that's in it out. Disconnect the silicone tube from the rudder when doing this.

tlandauer
07-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Actually it is better and simpler to disconnect the silicone tubing and shoot the water from the top of the rudder water nipple ( reverse flushing the rudder, if you will) and this way you can seat the syringe better and creat a higher water pressure.

Boaterguy
07-29-2011, 02:25 PM
or put another small piece of tubing on the rudder and put the water through backwards

faqcya
07-31-2011, 11:23 PM
OK I blew it all out and gonna run it tomorrow heres keeping my fingers crossed that it works right now. Thanks for all the input.

tlandauer
08-01-2011, 03:28 AM
Good luck! Hope all goes well!

faqcya
08-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Well its still not working right. I looked closely into the water inlet in the rudder and to me it looks as if theres a piece of metal that just seems out of place. I was wondering if I should try to take a drillbit or a small file in there possibly. Thanks for your advice.

tlandauer
08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, it is worth a try, you never know if the machining process was all complete. However, my personal experience is that the amount of water that is picked up is not always even : on some of my boats there will be more water when I steer the boat on one particular direction. Meaning when the boat leans to a particular side. You need to see if that's the case. I haven't figured out why that is. I thought it depended on which side the hole on the rudder. When you turn and the boat is leaning on the side of the hole there is usually more water, so i thought may be the depth has something to do with it. Hopefully someone else with more knowelege can tell you more.
Also, I know you tried to blow eveything and I assume water was coming out, that is under more pressure than the boat 's own pressure when travalling, did you check if the silicone tubing is pinched or are there by chance small turns any where inside the boat, give another inspection.

faqcya
08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
So I took the boat out again today and if the boat is in just the right position you can see the waterflow. I wonder if this will be adequate water cooling.

lenny
08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Check your temps on esc and motor after 3 min runs, And water temp where you are.

tlandauer
08-10-2011, 03:34 AM
Well, my Fast-Tech after 3 yrs. of sittting in the garage I tried to run it today, guess what?! Can't see the water flowing out! Only when in certain positions could the water be seen. I think it is an optical thing, the blue/white color of the boat makes the water hard to see. I know the boat's motor/ESC is getting enough water because it is barely warm. Of much more serious problem and the reason I was not thrilled with the boat is that it is letting in water. I checked everything and finally I took the radio box off and saw what is happening: in static water, the stuffing box ( tube) is letting water in just below the motor collet, I held the boat in water and can see the drips! I placed a silicone tube around the flex and tube , will try tomorrow and see what happens, now I remember 3 years ago was the same problem and I wasn't reading these forum and didn't know what to do.

faqcya
08-10-2011, 03:38 AM
Could you please post some pics of how you fix that tlandauer. My cars been broke down for the past week and haven't been able to run my boat just got it back today and hopefully I can go run it tomorrow.

tlandauer
08-10-2011, 04:05 AM
I won't be able to do it now, battery down in all cameras! Sorry.. I use silicone fuel tube, (larger diameter better) cut 1/2 inch and slip it over the tube that's coming out of the motor collet end. Make sure you force-expand the tube so it wraps over the stuffing box (tube). Ofcourse you do this while the flex cable is pulled from the boat. It was easier to do when the radio box is out of the way. There are four screws inside the radio box , the most imporant thing is to disconnection the rudder linkage before attempting to dismount thre box. Take a good look before you do this, remember every detail before taking them apart, Proboat's manual is very sketchy, you won't find any pictures for references. I will try to put pics tomorrow (today,that is, later) There are pics of this fix in other posts for other boats, you might be able to find them. Now after you are done force the silicone tube onto the stuffing tube you install the cable as nomal but when you see the cable exiting the stuffing tube it will be "wraped" inside the silicone tube and you continue to push untill it is seated correctly in the collet, tighten collet the usually way and you are in bussiness.

tlandauer
08-10-2011, 04:09 AM
I hope you are using ProBoat marine grease , it is very thick and will reduce any water coming thru the stuffing box besides proving lubrication.

tlandauer
08-10-2011, 04:28 AM
0 can'tupload, sorry too late, brain is not working. ( Been that way for so long anyways):rofl:

tlandauer
08-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Ok, the water issue is much better now, only very small amount gets leaked thru the stuffing box. The motor and batteries ran alot hotter, not ESC though. I wonder if the rub from the silicone fuel tube on the flex cable is giving extra work so the motor is drawing more amps. It is a tiny amount of rub, I need to check it out tomorrow, re-adjusted the prop angle, I tilted up slightly more as the boat ran quite low, very wet.

tlandauer
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Ran dry as bone because I put another fuel tube at the end of the stuffing box where the gap was in between. I also put a 42mm Groupner prop, the speed was better and the motor wasn't hot. I raised the prop last night so I think the drag/friction was less, therefore motor wasn't as hot as yesterday.