PDA

View Full Version : New to rc boats

blk88notch
07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I wanted to introduce myself my name is angel i just received my spartan ran it a couple times with the stock batteries now i want it faster
what is a good prop for a stock set up any help is greatly appreciated.

dag-nabit
07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi Angel, Welcome to the forum.

Do you know if your Spartan has the original ESC and motor, or the newly released ESC and motor built by Castle??

This is important to know before recommending props because the original components, were, how can we put it...... not very reliable, so you don't want to stress them with too much extra prop.

If they are the new components they should be much better, but that is yet to be proven with some serious run time.

The stock prop is 42mm diameter x 59mm pitch.

The Octura X442 is pretty much a direct replacement for stock.

The Prather S215 is slightly smaller in diameter, but has more pitch.

The Prather S220 is slightly larger in diameter, and has even more pitch.

Some of the enthusiasts here are running a Proboat prop and are happy with it, but I don't remember the number for it right now.

Kevin

blk88notch
07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Hello kevin

It has the new esc and motor from castle. I planned on keeping that set up until they fry.I do plan on installing some cooling upgrades, prop,and lipo batteries just not sure which ones.

blk88notch
07-23-2011, 09:27 AM

the5
07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey where are you in nj? Do you know a Mat? He is a snap on driver too. How are your cars?

blk88notch
07-23-2011, 01:45 PM
i live in little egg harbor whats matts last name

dag-nabit
07-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Ooooooh, you scored the new Snap On Ltd Edition Spartan..... nice. :thumbup1:

The new components should be pretty reliable, they are manufactured by a company with a respected reputation for quality, hopefully they will serve you well for a long time.

With the new, more efficient, components on board the only recommended (necessary?) cooling mod would replacing the cooling jacket on the motor with a good quality aluminum one. Installing larger diameter tubing and increasing the outlet size a bit could also be considered.

Even installing an X442 metal prop will give some performance advantage over the stock composite prop. A metal prop won't flex like composite props under load.

The Prather 215 would be a good next step up, or the pro boat prop that GeoVW72 is running. Octura X642 is another potential choice. Metal props come from the factory in a "raw" state, they require balancing and sharpening before running them. If you are not set up to do your own work, some on line vendors provide the service for an additional fee, they can get a bit pricey though $35 - $45 per prop all in.

For batteries, lots of us are running the Turnigy Nano Tech 5000mah 45C 3S batteries for running 6S setups. Regardless of brand, make sure you purchase batteries with a discharge rating of 35C or more. Within reason, the higher the discharge C rating, the better.

Another option is to buy a pair of 5S batteries (4000 - 5000mah) and change the wiring on the ESC to parallel instead of series. You would sacrifice a bit of speed, but this would put less load on the components and provide extended run times.

Browse around the forum, there is lots of discussion and ideas on the Spartan here.

Have fun with the new boat.

Kevin

dag-nabit
07-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Ooooooh, you scored the new Snap On Ltd Edition Spartan..... nice. :thumbup1:

The new components should be pretty reliable, they are manufactured by a company with a respected reputation for quality, hopefully they will serve you well for a long time.

With the new, more efficient, components on board the only recommended (necessary?) cooling mod would replacing the cooling jacket on the motor with a good quality aluminum one. Installing larger diameter tubing and increasing the outlet size a bit could also be considered.

Even installing an X442 metal prop will give some performance advantage over the stock composite prop. A metal prop won't flex like composite props under load.

The Prather 215 would be a good next step up, or the pro boat prop that GeoVW72 is running. Octura X642 is another potential choice. Metal props come from the factory in a "raw" state, they require balancing and sharpening before running them. If you are not set up to do your own work, some on line vendors provide the service for an additional fee, they can get a bit pricey though $35 - $45 per prop all in.

For batteries, lots of us are running the Turnigy Nano Tech 5000mah 45C 3S batteries for running 6S setups. Regardless of brand, make sure you purchase batteries with a discharge rating of 35C or more. Within reason, the higher the discharge C rating, the better.

Another option is to buy a pair of 5S batteries (4000 - 5000mah) and change the wiring on the ESC to parallel instead of series. You would sacrifice a bit of speed, but this would put less load on the components and provide extended run times.

Browse around the forum, there is lots of discussion and ideas on the Spartan here.

Have fun with the new boat.

Kevin

blk88notch
07-23-2011, 02:16 PM
i am a snap on dealer so i just kept it for myself thanks for all the helpful information.