PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy 120 marine esc died early....

lincpimp
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Just finished modding the sv27. Pretty much new everything, including a medusa 1600kv motor and a turnigy 120 esc. Wired it up, programmed it at work and then brought it home to instal the rx and give it a test run. Got this esc from another member a while back pretty sure I traded something of little value to me for it.

Planned to run 5s, but my 2s packs were charged so I hooked them up in series for 4s. Got the rx to bind up with the tx, tested the steering and then gave it a touch of throttle to make sure the motor was spinning in the correct direction. Smoke and fire poured out the the esc, originating at the fets right by the motor wires. The bec worked fine, both when I used the prog card and when I bound the rx and tested the steering. Since the smoke/fire came from the fet board I can only imagine some solder had bridged something or the esc was just plain crappily built.

That sucks. I felt better after I smashed it real good with a hammer (make sure the fire was out...:thumbup1:)

Anyways, I now plan to convert a quark airmaster 80amp esc to boat use. I will use the water cooling plate off this esc on the quark. I know the quark is not the best thing out there, but it is what I have and if it craps out I will not be out of much. Best part of this esc is that is will work with a surface radio without the use of a pistix. I will have to use an external bec to power the radio gear.

Will report back if I get this boat on the water, just wanted to share my experience with this esc.

norbique
07-21-2011, 12:29 AM
sorry to hear, especially for me having the same ESC. I have several runs on it with my 29" tunnel and a 12L Feigao motor, no problems so far.

lincpimp
07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Most likely just a bad example. I may try a seaking 90 if the quark does not work out. Just a sport boat, not looking to set any records, just have a reliable (!) boat to play with off the dock in the back yard.