PDA

View Full Version : What is the best setup for this boat motor and esc

busaboy1441
07-20-2011, 07:15 PM
What is the best motor and esc for this boat? I want to do mid 50 to 60mph.Is it possible with this hull ?Something i can run for 8 to 10 mins i know a lot of guys are running high kv motor on 4s lipo setup but not on this hull my stuff is at traxxas right now done sending my motor and esc in going to sell it when i get it back just want the hot setup thanks Roger

dag-nabit
07-20-2011, 07:50 PM
There are a couple guys that were pushing, or achieving, the 60 mph mark with there Spartans, Jpriami and Wilsta67. Both were running 6S.

Without going back and reviewing their threads to confirm, I believe JPriami was running a T180 ESC and Leopard 4082 1500kv with larger props to push the 60mph barrier.

Wilsta 67 was running a T180 ESC and Castle 1515 2200kv motor on, I think, a P220 prop and he made it to 60 or a little better.

Both were having their fair share of issues trying to push the boat that hard. Chine walking, torque roll, blow over, flex cables, and if I remember correctly Wilsta blew the capacitors on his ESC.

There are videos here on the forum of these runs.

Personally I don't think the plastic hull on the Spartan will hold up very well in the long run trying to push that high of speed, but that has yet to be proven.

I find high 40's to low 50's plenty stressful enough on the components.

I'm not saying don't try it, if that's what you want, but be prepared for the maintenance and repair costs to start adding up if you starting pushing the limits of this boat.

As for the "best" motor ESC combo, that depends on individual preference, but a very popular combination that has proven successful is the T180 ESC and Leopard 4082 1500kv.

Kevin

busaboy1441
07-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info Kevin i am going to check that combo out have you ever heard anything good about the castle setups ?Like the 120amp or 200amp 240amp but i want to keep it sport not race only and also 3s setup i have 6 sets dont really wanna start over lol

dag-nabit
07-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the info Kevin i am going to check that combo out have you ever heard anything good about the castle setups ?Like the 120amp or 200amp 240amp but i want to keep it sport not race only and also 3s setup i have 6 sets dont really wanna start over lol

I have no experience with the castle ESC's, but most often they are spoken of in high regard.

I would stay above 120 amp, and would recommend the 200A of those you listed.

Cost would be one consideration, and also check the dimensions to see how the castle ESC's will fit the tray.

The Seaking/Turnigy 180amp ESC, require building up a plate of some sort on the tray to lift the ESC above the rails, but they do fit nicely after. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?22575-Installing-Seaking-Turnigy-180A-ESC-in-Spartan&highlight=installing+turnigy+180

Kevin

PS The Leopard 4082 1500kv is now actually sold as a 1600kv motor.

busaboy1441
07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I am wondering i have a new 1800kv motor its a 1512 1.5y 1800kv i bought it for my race buggy but never used it i wonder if i could use that in the boat ? I bought it when that had that sale i think i only paid 65 for it i have 2 back up lol

Flame On
07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
The Seaking/Turnigy 180amp ESC, require building up a plate of some sort on the tray to lift the ESC above the rails, but they do fit nicely after. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?22575-Installing-Seaking-Turnigy-180A-ESC-in-Spartan&highlight=installing+turnigy+180

Kevin

PS The Leopard 4082 1500kv is now actually sold as a 1600kv motor.

The images on that tread are not there any longer but was wondering... I just purchased the SeaKing ESC. Has there been a tread with some info on it's install or specifics of programming it for the Leopard 4082?

dag-nabit
07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
The images on that tread are not there any longer but was wondering... I just purchased the SeaKing ESC. Has there been a tread with some info on it's install or specifics of programming it for the Leopard 4082?

I re-posted most of the photos at the bottom of the thread after the links got messed up. Not the most convenient, but the info on one method of installing a T180 is there if you read it through and browse to the bottom for pics.

There are several threads on programming the Seaking/Turnigy ESC's. Do a forum search you should find the info you need, if not we can help you with the specifics.

There are only 4 programmable options so it is pretty simple, but having the programming card ($6 - $10) makes it really simple to program

Kevin