PDA

View Full Version : New Castle and Motor ESC, ANYONE HAVE GPS SPEEDS?

Shaun78
07-20-2011, 06:13 PM
I havent heard if its faster,slower or what. Curious on speeds with stock prop and X642 and M445. Heck you can probably try and M545 or M645.

GeoVW72
07-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Faster on 4s, from just gracing 30 to a solid 35. The new system may not agree with the stock nimh packs though, some were having issues with the cells getting hot with the old system and I've seen a 15% insrease in amp draw(from 60 to 70A+) :unsure:
Set-up right on 6s it does high 40s consistently. The cells I have are a little beat up from the old system, good ones should get the 50+ with a good amount of space.
Not sure about larger props, someone already burned the system up on a x642 (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?27205-New-motor-and-esc-from-traxxas-went-out-again)

Shaun78
07-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks,I'll try mine eventually

Snafujg
07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Geo, any issues with torque roll at all with the new Catle combo? I have torque roll currently with my CC1515/Seaking 180A setup. I've done the dual trim tabs and that's helped. Will try the strut adjustment next. Just wondering if I was to drop the new castle stuff in there if I would have the same issue. You running it with the stuffing tube in?

GeoVW72
07-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Torque roll has nothing to do with the power system. Torque roll comes from the drive line, mis-alignment and the fact that the stock one sucks :thumbdown:
Or it may be the prop or high kv motor, that I can't really say much on.

I have messed with the second set of trim tabs and they do help a little, however they do not eliminate the issue as a new drive line does. I've tried running the boat without tabs after I put the new drive line and it ran just about the same as with them on, it was more stable in chop with them on though.

Got some new cells today, so should have a good idea what the speed will be like :Peace_Sign:

dascoadams
07-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Any new news ?

GeoVW72
07-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Sure :biggrin:

4s - 33- 38mph depending on the cells/set-up/running conditions

6s - 52-54mph with the stock size prop/ 58mph with a x640, not reccomended

Here is (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?22331-Spartan-tear-it-down-to-build-it-up/page9) where I usually update :Peace_Sign:

Shaun78
07-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks, why not recommended? I was thinking of using and x642.

GeoVW72
07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
The amp draw with the prop was high, we don't really know the specs of the esc, but I've seen them make trips to 160A before the rotor failed with the old motor. Given that the escs fail shortly after the rotor dies I would guess that they fail somewhere around 170-180A. So 150A was the max that I saw with the x640 and I imagine that if you got on the throttle quick you could burn out the esc, that's why I don't recommend it.
Given that a x642 is larger and someone has already poped the castle system (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?27205-New-motor-and-esc-from-traxxas-went-out-again) with one, I would really stay away from it.

roadrashracing
07-30-2011, 12:02 AM
So running the stock batteries with the new stock brushless sytem might be asking for trouble?

dmwilson09
07-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I think in the post geo linked too, that person had the updated motor but the original esc. I got that same setup and it caught on fire. It was a great motor (castle motor without the logo), but the esc couldn't handle it. I just got back the castle logo'd equipment but have not ran it. I think the castle stuff will end up being reliable with lipos and nimh.

Shaun78
07-31-2011, 07:35 AM
I have the castle motor with no logos and they sent me the old esc but when I called to see why they said that like the motor with no label it was the castle esc but in the prior case......dunno for sure but the castle motor had no badging but it's def. The castle so I hope the esc is castle

dmwilson09
07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
The motor is a castle motor but they are feeding you some bs about the esc. I got that same system and after it caught on fire I checked out the esc and it was identical to the esc's I had prior and much different from the actual castle logo'd esc I received. Read the post dag-nabit posted about the Castle system, it has a link to a forum where a castle employee writes about the new system. He says that only the esc's with their logo are designed by them. Just get your system wet, that's what happen to mine and the next time I plugged it in........poof.

GeoVW72
08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I had the old esc and the new traxxas one side by side and I can't see a difference;
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l9zajLeN5XA/ThYYzeK7yHI/AAAAAAAABAM/-nGfIS_YGVE/s400/IMG_20110707_132728.jpghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YCKhTzamtag/ThYZUfo8XeI/AAAAAAAABAU/q3tIO5Hlrd0/s400/IMG_20110707_132702.jpg
I don't have the Castle one yet, but the design is different enough.
Here's the link to the RC-Monster thread (http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30208&page=2)

The traxxas esc works with well with the stock prop, I'm not sure that the Castle one can be that much better, they had to build it to a price point :wink:

My only concern with the stock packs would be damage to them because of the extra amp draw. Going from 60-70A doesn't seem like much, but when the cells are already over worked on the old system the new system might try and turn them inside out :scared:

roadrashracing
08-02-2011, 07:45 PM
my old system has worked good for me, i want a castle system, but I guess if its not broke don't fix it.

dmwilson09
08-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Flip your boat so that all your electronics get wet, then plug some lipos in and watch the "waterproof" electronics dry out really fast i.e. go up in flames. Thats all it took for me to get the new Castle equipment.

roadrashracing
08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
mines been under many times

mtnbiker94
08-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I did quite a few speed runs and non stop running with mine on 6s, and that blew it up(The OLD system). I wish i had my temp gun to see how hot it got, because that thing was cookin!
Now i gotta send it back

roadrashracing
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't have any lipos so I don't think it will be going anytime soon.

GeoVW72
08-03-2011, 10:32 PM
:doh: The prop I was using was the difference, not the system.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-POURtfXqWdU/TjhxQ8BgLsI/AAAAAAAABJc/7yaT9kXkIDg/s400/IMG_20110801_134812.jpg

They are pretty much the same, but the size of the stub changes the area of the tongue, that's where the load comes from.
Experientially the stock prop cavitates more, but that is what it was designed to do to keep amp draw low.
Didn't have any stock props to use until I got one in. Amp load is back to where it was with the old system.
Speeds didn't change much though.

4s - 35mph
6s - 52

Champy
08-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Here's mine with the new Castle motor and ESC; 49mph

http://youtu.be/I3YjhTaETq0

GOGEICOGO
08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
hows the new castle set up been treating you so far? have you had any problems?

mappo
08-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Traxxas® Spartan™ Brushless 2.4GHz RTR
Now featuring Castle™ Creations electronics.. hope Traxxas will build a fiberglass boat for a change instead of the cheap plastic!

Champy
08-08-2011, 10:37 AM
hows the new castle set up been treating you so far? have you had any problems?

I've only run it that one time.:thumbdown: Hope to get out a few times this week, weather permitting:noidea:... I'll get some more video with battery positions,speed, temps etc...

PumpedNotch
08-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I jsut started a thread about my buddy winning a spartan off ebay with the new castle set up and it is GARBAGE!! Please see my thread if you have any feedback!

the5
08-12-2011, 08:02 AM
No reason to post that here^

PumpedNotch
08-12-2011, 10:09 AM
No reason to post that here^

Really? The member asked how they run and i gave my opinion!! The boat was used the motor/esc was brand new and never run as the member claimed..

Ok hows this... AWESOME BOAT SUPER FAST!!! EVERYBODY RUN OUT AND GET ONE!!!

BETTER?

Brushless55
08-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I jsut started a thread about my buddy winning a spartan off ebay with the new castle set up and it is GARBAGE!! Please see my thread if you have any feedback!

that sucks man...

PumpedNotch
08-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry if anybody took my post the wrong way.Just unhappy with what was shipped!! Put yourself in our shoes.

Adam

Rcforever27
08-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Did you know about the overheating issues with the Spartan? I
Mean they were supposed to come out last July .... And came out like a year later and still had problems.... Didn't that get your attention? I bought mine(pre-ordered it august of '10' knowing it had these problems... Sounds like you didn't do enough research. No offense and um not trying to be mean at all , but just my opinion. Now if it was advertised as excellent condition, and mint condition, then might contact eBay and tell them the story. But if it said "used and sold ad is" then that's on you for clicking the buy button.... Again jmo, not trying to be an *##hole st all but I've been i'n your shoes and got burned before....... Read these forums as well as the ones on the traxxas site ... Very informative people!!! Good luck ! ;)

PumpedNotch
08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Maybe you should have read my thread first before you replied here? JMO!!
Thanks
Adam

Did you know about the overheating issues with the Spartan? I
Mean they were supposed to come out last July .... And came out like a year later and still had problems.... Didn't that get your attention? I bought mine(pre-ordered it august of '10' knowing it had these problems... Sounds like you didn't do enough research. No offense and um not trying to be mean at all , but just my opinion. Now if it was advertised as excellent condition, and mint condition, then might contact eBay and tell them the story. But if it said "used and sold ad is" then that's on you for clicking the buy button.... Again jmo, not trying to be an *##hole st all but I've been i'n your shoes and got burned before....... Read these forums as well as the ones on the traxxas site ... Very informative people!!! Good luck ! ;)

Rcforever27
08-12-2011, 10:14 PM
I did read all your threads and i apologize .... I read one of your threads earlier... I'm not here to create trouble or point fingers .... Again i apologize and hope you're able to get it resolved good luck and keep us posted on what happens and what you find with the boat. No hard feelings ......