PDA

View Full Version : 6 out of 10 rating on this boat. Handles great, seriously lacking quality!

siberianhusky
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Anybody else think this boat is kinda flimsy?
Maiden run I had a blow over landed on it's back and stove in the hatch popping both of the cheezy braces off.
Motor mount allows the motor to flex up and down way to much, the flex cable is what is stopping it from moving even more.
The floor is so thin the whole stuffing tube moves up and down with the motor!
This is a fast boat with good handling but in if you compare it side by side with a Geico, the Gieco slams this thing in terms of hardware and hull quality.
Should have spent more effort building a quality hull and less on the mullet rock paint job.
I've always thought they graphics were butt ugly, but now that I've seen the lack of quality in the finish I'll be even happier to paint this thing. Bad sanding scratches under the clear coat, places where it looks like somebody smeared a finger full of putty on it and just painted over it. The clear coat is about 60 grit with all the dust in it.
To be completely honest if I bought this thing new I would have returned it instantly, the finish is that bad! Looks like a crack head chimp did the final sand, clean and paint! Above the Y in Motley on the port side there is a dimple in the finish I just can't believe QC didn't catch, looks almost like it was shot with a BB!
This will be my last Aquacraft product unless they get some of these issues under control.
I honestly would give this thing a 6 out of 10, the only reason it gets a passing grade is it handles very well.
Hardware is mid quality, has a SV27r rudder with a shorter bracket and a UL-1 strut, motor mount is a real cheap sheet metal stamping.
Good design, very cheap manufacturing.
I feel odd posting this, I bought/own the boat but really can't find that much good to say about it! Except it handles well!
I can't comment on how fast it goes with stock electronics. I have a Castle 1512 in mine with a Swordfish 120 esc. It was handling the rough water I tested it in very well, even with that power, was able to get some full throttle runs in when a SV could hardly run because of the chop.
Not the most flattering review but I think I'm being very honest about the quality of the hull and hardware, which is all I bought.

Insaniac
07-20-2011, 01:43 PM
This is a trend with AQ stuff...remember the UL-1? Handled well but the hull cracked/broke a lot. I have a VS-1(wood) FE, so no complaints there...

jeepme
07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Hmmm mine is completely opposite of your description. Maybe you got a first run model or something. My finish is top notch, very smooth, and looks great IMO. Motor mount is a pretty solid aluminum mount definately not stamped steel and does flex a little foward and aft but definately not up and down. I ve submarined, flipped, landed on its lid, many times and I have been very impressed with its stregnth. Everything is holding up very well. I love my MC.

U1Racing
07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
it seems that all boats in the UL-1 class crack because i have a Proboat Elam and it seems to crack just from running it in the pond, i never hit anything becaue for the hull to sustain the kind of damage that it has, you would have heard it!!

Steven Vaccaro
07-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm son has one, I love it, he loves it.
If someone wants a shelf queen, I agree this isnt the boat.
But It does exactly what he/I wanted it to, go very fast right out of the box and handle well for a cat. It does both of those things with flying colors.
I cant find a thing wrong with the hardware.

v-spec
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Mine was beautiful, I sold it but man was I in love with that boat. A little thicker FG woulda been nice but whatever...

Doby
07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
The hardware has been proven for years on the UL1..... not sure what some people expect.

siberianhusky
07-20-2011, 04:35 PM
I never faulted it handling at speed at all. It does do that very well, like I said good design.
I'm not expecting shelf queen but could they at least have dusted it off before painting it? The deck is actually gritty!
I really wish I could capture the quality of the finish in pictures. There is honestly one spot on the side of one of the steps that has a 3/32 bulge of filler right at the corner. The sponson tips look like unsanded bondo.
I will be painting this one! Amsoil style.
I said mid quality hardware which I think is fair, it's not speedmaster or anything, nothing exceptional about it, The Geico has better quality hardware.
I made it clear I couldn't give an opinion on it running against a Geico, hope to next time out, I also made it clear I couldn't comment on the motor and esc, but in a side by side comparison on the bench the Geico is a better built boat. People say this one runs better than it, I'll pass judgement on that one when I have some real life experience of the two boats running together.
So far I am very pleased with how it runs, not pleased with the overall quality. If I didn't have opportunity to compare the two I'd probably have a different opinion.
Lot of people seem to be reading things I didn't post at all, want to comment at least actually read what I posted properly!
Doby! Read my actual hardware comment again I said mid quality.

Steven Vaccaro
07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
My reason for the post was this.

"6 out of 10 rating on this boat. Handles great, seriously lacking quality! "

I guess it depends on you came to a 6? As you said, you didn't have motor or esc. So you are rating the finish only.
I looked at my boat as a whole. Sure my paint has some rough spots and the sponson tips are just ok. But all in all the performance and handling are far more valuable to me than a finish.
There are PLENTY of great looking and better finished boats on the market, but what good are they if they dont turn or dont run fast?

jeepme
07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
My reason for the post was this.

"6 out of 10 rating on this boat. Handles great, seriously lacking quality! "

I guess it depends on you came to a 6? As you said, you didn't have motor or esc. So you are rating the finish only.
I looked at my boat as a whole. Sure my paint has some rough spots and the sponson tips are just ok. But all in all the performance and handling are far more valuable to me than a finish.
There are PLENTY of great looking and better finished boats on the market, but what good are they if they dont turn or dont run fast?

X2. Very well said Steven. Remeber we are talking about a RTR boat. If you want perfection build a boat the way YOU want it to be. For a RTR boat this one does exactly what it was built to do........go fast and handle great, which it does perfectly.

dana
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
what do people want from a 300 dollar rtr boat? all the best hardware?!?! im mean cmon... the stuff is proven time over. yeah the paint has some issues... but really you could have read the threads, then you would have known, and not been on here bashing. just silliness

siberianhusky
07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Nope once again people are ignoring half of what I've typed! Why does everybody seem to be ignoring the fact that the hatch caved in on it's very first run? The motor flops and flexes around on it's mount ? How about the side by side comparison with the rest of the Geico hardware? Easier to ignore that I suppose as it's harder to argue with facts than opinion about a finish.

jeepme
07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Didnt you buy this boat used? Maybe the previous owner is the cause of some of the issues with the boat. I just cant see how the hatch can cave in. Like i said I have flipped and landed on the hatch more than I like to admit and its had no issues. Ive submarined it completely under water and no damage. Maybe some pics of your side by side comparison would be helpfull.

dana
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I Agree, he bought a used boat, so it wasn't the first run. As far as motor mount? How hard is that to fix lol. And complaining about hatch quality? Try comparing to geico....Ridiculous!!!! Almost every geico made broke the flimsy hatches, so much so a forum member started making them. The geico hardware was inline and made the boat run like crap lol. But yeah that was some nice hardware lol "sarcasm". I read the whole silly rant and it's a joke

ray schrauwen
07-20-2011, 08:43 PM
I just shy'ed away from AQ because the hull quality, material. I'm sure its a good handling boat but, looks and long term life are important to me in this hobby.

Doby
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I just shy'ed away from AQ because the hull quality, material. I'm sure its a good handling boat but, looks and long term life are important to me in this hobby.

Why, you never keep anything long enough to find out:hug1:

Doby
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I never faulted it handling at speed at all. It does do that very well, like I said good design.
I'm not expecting shelf queen but could they at least have dusted it off before painting it? The deck is actually gritty!
I really wish I could capture the quality of the finish in pictures. There is honestly one spot on the side of one of the steps that has a 3/32 bulge of filler right at the corner. The sponson tips look like unsanded bondo.
I will be painting this one! Amsoil style.
I said mid quality hardware which I think is fair, it's not speedmaster or anything, nothing exceptional about it, The Geico has better quality hardware.
I made it clear I couldn't give an opinion on it running against a Geico, hope to next time out, I also made it clear I couldn't comment on the motor and esc, but in a side by side comparison on the bench the Geico is a better built boat. People say this one runs better than it, I'll pass judgement on that one when I have some real life experience of the two boats running together.
So far I am very pleased with how it runs, not pleased with the overall quality. If I didn't have opportunity to compare the two I'd probably have a different opinion.
Lot of people seem to be reading things I didn't post at all, want to comment at least actually read what I posted properly!
Doby! Read my actual hardware comment again I said mid quality.

Read mine again..

ray schrauwen
07-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Why, you never keep anything long enough to find out:hug1:

Har, har, har... LOL... I keep what I like :tt2: You should see the UL-1 I have collecting dust. Rudder mount fell apart, turn fin mount fell apart, stuffing tube came loose, strut bearing snapped in half on 3rd run.

They do make some good stuff but, not for me.

Doby
07-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I've seen you drive.....not surprised:rofl:

Steven Vaccaro
07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Nope once again people are ignoring half of what I've typed! Why does everybody seem to be ignoring the fact that the hatch caved in on it's very first run? The motor flops and flexes around on it's mount ? How about the side by side comparison with the rest of the Geico hardware? Easier to ignore that I suppose as it's harder to argue with facts than opinion about a finish.

I understand and can relate to what you mean about some of the faults. But taken as a whole I believe its MUCH better than you allow it.
As for motor mount flexing. I think the 1512 is about 2-3 ounces heavier than the stock motor. Probably 20% heavier than the stock motor. I have no bouncing or flexing with the motor that the boat was built for.

bigemike
07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
what about changing out your hardware to slightly bigger socket type screws like was done in the build the mc to race thread on this forum. I have done a few of his tips. I mean rtr anything means you get a usable but cheap radio gear, lower end hardware. For a rtr I think it is good, if the miss gieco has better build quality but will never handle like the MC then you are talking a hull change to get perfection. Either way you go anything rtr can be picked apart by a serious builder. Make the changes you need to make the boat yours and post a thread showing how you have perfected an already fun boat.

bardahlracing
07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
My son and I have the proboat 1/12 scales, very good running boat out of the box for Hobby grade IMHO, they are easily modded for a reasonable price to make them super running little boats and stable at that, however as in any production item such as these you are going to have some issues with seams and bonds and such, my son (posted earlier) that his boat cracked and nothing was hit but pond water no other boats, it is true, the problem was the front sponson seam and a side seam about 5" long, these are easy to fix, i mixed up cabosil and epoxy and made the repairs, my boat has been flawless (except for getting whacked and knocking off the wing upright in a race) with no problems so far, they are impressive little boats, we have added the Aquacraft struts and the boats are really really a fun fast electric ! my .02

Grimracer
07-22-2011, 11:49 AM
siberianhusky

One mans flimsy is another ones light.. Its hard to please both sides on this. Just so you know.. The layup for all the boats is the same, one can not come out more “flimsy” then the other.

Re attach the braces with Shoe Goo.. sorry they came loose.. (I Love Shoe Goo)

The motor mount flexing is again.. weight vrs performance.. The mount is also a former if you pay attention to the design. (again, sorry about that)

The mullet rock paint job is a marketing deal and the guys that run the real boat are really great people.. (Watch the Scott video I have on you tube) that is the throttle men for the real boats RC boat. They are hard core gear heads!

I see you did not buy yours new. Hum.. OK.. You know I have to take some of your comments with a grain of salt then right.. Its hard to say what was done to the boat before you got it.. I suspect however it was in good shape.. maybe your sore as you feel to paid to much for a used boat.. I don’t know.. if you feel that way.. sorry.. it happens to lots of us too.. Flipping Computers!

In any case.. if this was your last AquaCraft boat I respect that.. there are lots of really nice RC boats on the market right now.. But.. please be ready to keep an open mind.. We have more in the hopper and we do listen.. we do get better..

Thanks for posting.

Grim

Doby
07-22-2011, 12:41 PM
So whats in the "hopper"??

siberianhusky
07-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Next time I'll just lie.

ray schrauwen
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm feeling the pain of the Spartan owners.... This boat is fantastic compared to that plastic tub of U know what...

I warned people of that fiasco as well as the Thander Tiger OBL mono but, at least TT gave you a spanking nice hull.

ENCORE MAN
07-22-2011, 07:56 PM
X2. Very well said Steven. Remeber we are talking about a RTR boat. If you want perfection build a boat the way YOU want it to be. For a RTR boat this one does exactly what it was built to do........go fast and handle great, which it does perfectly.

Do you fellows think a MEAN MACHINE with the same power as a MC will handle as well and attain roughly the same speed ???? LMK Thanks BG

Doby
07-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Do you fellows think a MEAN MACHINE with the same power as a MC will handle as well and attain roughly the same speed ???? LMK Thanks BG

Yup.