PDA

View Full Version : What's the best boat to build?

burgerchow1
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Got the bug now. Currently have a Proboat pt 109 and aqua craft motley crew. Both are great. Want to build a real high end boat now, something that will do 50 to 60 mph. Not racing, just want to have ability to go that fast without worrying that about the integrity of the hull. Would like it to be anywhere from 36 to 45 inches, deep eve or cat, thinking about esc 180 amps plus, and would also like to be able to run at least 6s. Been looking at the pursuit boats that Steve and minted sell, but was wondering who make the hulls? Are they strong? Like the looks of the genesis, but are they a hobby king boat? Appreciate any info before I invest into this thing.

Steven Vaccaro
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Hobby King doesn't make boats. Almost all of them are made in the same factory in China.

A cat with a large opening is a good boat to build. The mean machine is smaller than what you are looking at, but has a huge opening, which makes the build easy.

burgerchow1
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
A local guy here has an aeromachine mean machine hull brand new for sale for 135. Is that a good hull to build off? I just wasn't really crazy about the looks of it. He also has a brand new neu/castle 1717 (1580 kv) to sell. Would that be a good motor for this hull on 6s? I'd probably get a hk 180 or a castle 240 esc. What about running gear? What driveline and rudder system would be best?

steveo
07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
i would say buy the 1717 if its a good price and look into the delta force pirate that ose sells it a 35 inch hull at a good price then you could use that motor on 6s- the mean machine would be way over powered. as the hulls get longer it takes alot of power and money to get to 50/60 mph. with 1717 you have to parallel you batts which can get expensive depending on the quality of batterys you buy

steveo
07-20-2011, 11:29 AM
i would say buy the 1717 if its a good price and look into the delta force pirate that ose sells it a 35 inch hull at a good price then you could use that motor on 6s- the mean machine would be way over powered. as the hulls get longer it takes alot of power and money to get to 50/60 mph. with 1717 you have to parallel your batts which can get expensive depending on the quality of batterys you buy

Fluid
07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Depending on what you want to spend, how fast you want to go and how long you want to run, your options are huge. A good next step up would be a 35"-40" mono with 6S power. Larger motors with Kvs between 1200 and 1500 would work well. Depending on the run time you want you do not need to parallel batteries if you choose high capacity cells with 6500-7500 mAh capacity.

For maximum run time you would want to run 10S in boats this size. This allows you to get 50-60 mph with low amp draws, extending run time and reducing stress on your components. There are a LOT of ways to go here, just be careful and listen to different options and opinions before starting to spend your money.

detox
07-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Since 4s packs are the most popular I would build it around 8s power. You could also use the 4s packs in your Motley Crew. You probably already have a couple of 4S packs.

burgerchow1
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
i've got like 4 x 4s 5000 gens ace 35c's that I use for my cars. Could run 2 packs to make 8s . sounds good. thanks guys

burgerchow1
07-27-2011, 08:03 PM
has anybody done a FE boat using AC Boats , like the Razor or Laser? By the way, just ordered a proboat Impulse 31, from my lhs, should be here by Tuesday.
Thinking about getting an AC Boat, cause I kinda want a gas boat as well to run in the chuck for longer runtimes. From all my research about boat hulls, AC Boats is one of the best hulls, and best of all, he's only a 3 hr drive away in Kelowna BC